IGNORED

Please give me your 0.02 on Michelin Anakee vs Metzeler Tourance

texasaggie97

texasaggie97

I have been using Metzeler Tourances. I was looking at the Michelin Anakee just because I have never trying anything diffrent on my GS. What is the feed back on these two tires. I would like to hear from people who have riden on both of them. I do not ride off road very ofter so I am looking for the tire with the most stick. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Anakees came stock on my 1200GSA. Good tires, stick to the road but the rear isn't good for more than 6K. 400 miles ago switched to Tourances. No complaints on those... fully expect to get better mileage based upon my experience from my old 1150GSA.

I think the Anakees stick more BUT you would have to do a lot to over-ride the Tourances.

The Tourances are meant for more ON Road ability

and the Anakees are meant for more OFF road ability

but they both run under the dual purpose category

it's up to you to decide whether you do more On or Off road

Anakees came stock on my 1200GSA. Good tires, stick to the road but the rear isn't good for more than 6K. 400 miles ago switched to Tourances. No complaints on those... fully expect to get better mileage based upon my experience from my old 1150GSA.

I think the Anakees stick more BUT you would have to do a lot to over-ride the Tourances.

Your absolutly right. Anakees definately stickier, Tourances a bit harder compound. I reccomend to people to purchase tires based on the riding environment.

Here in Chicago,an all season tire (like Anakee) works perfectly,but we'll suffer on mileage. If travelling to the Desert southwest,mount up Tourances. The road surfaces and heat will eatup the Anakee prematurely.

I used Tourances on a trip up to Alaska in '05,and was impressed with their wet weather ability.

For "Fireroad" riding either tire will work OK,but for serious "offroad" can't go wrong with a set of Knobbies!

I have a lot of time on both. The advice you've received so far is good. Tourance tires last longer, but they don't have the same grip. You'd notice it in rain (Tourance will step out a bit) and extreme usage (like track). Otherwise, the Tourance is an excellent tire.

The best choice, if you want "on road" performance, would be the Michelin Pilot Road. These are regular tread street radials and come in GS size. I've got a set in waiting to put on when the Anakees wear out on my 11.5 GS.

Cheers

Steve

I had Tourances on my 1150GS and I'm on my second set of Anakees on my '06 1200GS. I like both brands, but will stay with the Anakees. I think they grip a little better and have a more aggressive profile which gives them the edge for off road use which I am doing more of these days. I ride my GS at the track and pretty hard on the road and I've gotten over 8k miles on the rears and over 12k on the fronts using Annakees. That's good enough for me.

Matts_12GS

I have the Dunlop D607 on the wee strom and they do great on the road, even in the wet. They're ok off road having done a few gravel roads, rail road beds and such. I'm not good enough riding off road to evaluate them well, but I'll put them on the big strom when those @$@$%@$%@^ trail wings wear out.

The June 2007 issue of Bike Magazine has their “Trailie Tyre Test” with the testing of all the popular GS tires on a R1200GS, on both the track and a mix of secondary roads. Here is a summary of their results:

Track Winner: Conti Road Attack

Track Dual Purpose Winner: Dunlop D607

Fastest of the Track: Avon Storm ST (front) & Avon Azaro (rear)

Slowest Track Time: Michelin Anakee

Road Test Results:

Conti Road Attack – 9/10

Bridgestone BT-020 – 8.5/10

Avon AM34/44 Distanzia – 8/10

Dunlop D607 Trailmax – 8/10

Michelin Pilot Road – 7/10

Metzler Tourance – 6.5/10

Pirelli Scorpion Sync – 6.5/10

Bridgestone Battle Wing – 6.5/10

Michelin Anakee – 6/10

Avon AV45-ST/AV56 Storm ST – 9/10 (however tire tore during test)

W. Mazelin

I gotta stick with the Metzeler, over 70,000 miles on my '02 GS, all on the Tourance model tire. I run them around 41 psi front & rear, they stick like glue, (good enough to scrape the pegs!), wear like iron.

I gotta stick with the Metzeler, over 70,000 miles on my '02 GS, all on the Tourance model tire. I run them around 41 psi front & rear, they stick like glue, (good enough to scrape the pegs!), wear like iron.

I also have been very happy with the Tourance, the performance has never let me down. Granted I don't do much off road, primarily highway travel. Have never felt unsafe in he rain. I am on my fourth set.....

Cheers........Rod

I have been running the Tourance on my GS Adventure for 30,000 miles and have loved them. My last tire change I switched to the Avon Distanzia because they were a little less $. So far after 1200 miles I am very pleased. I have also heard that they last longer than the Tourance and I they feel like they stick just as well on the pavement. Done a little offroad with the Avon, but it was 2-up, so I couldn't really get a feel for it.

Sorry for muddying up the waters even more, but I would now recommend the Avon Distanzia to be used on a GS.

texasaggie97

WOW I asked the question to help me decide on what tire to get and know I am even more confused. I have to say I really enjoy reading all the post and I agree with many of you so I guess I should just get a set of each and report back. Thanks for all the great insight now I need to finish my research. I think I will look at some of these other tires. Thanks for you great info

BluesTraveler

Just tonight I ordered up my 4th set of Metzelers for my 04' GSA. I've been getting 11,000-13,000 off a set. Been running 42 rear and 38 front. Even wear out of every set i've used up.

Im sold on the Metzelers.

Been running Tourances for 6000 miles on my F650GS. Very good tire, especially on rainy roads. Off road they are fairly o.k. if you air them down. My next set for BAJA will probably be the Avon Distanzias.

My buddy (has 1200 GS)has travelled the world on Tourances in rough conditions and likes them a lot. He also has Avon Distanzias (that he put on when in South America) and is quite satisfied. He said they take a little getting used to after the Tourances.

After his last BAJA trip with 5 guys, one guy had Pirelli Scorpions on his KLR and of all the different tires on the bikes, they held up the best after that torture test.

Now you should be really confused grin.gif

Archived