IGNORED

K1200GT Named the Best Sporttouring Bike of 2007

RichEdwards

RichEdwards

...By Cycle World. I must agree. Here's mine in the Canadian Rockies last week. I traveled nearly 8000 miles with great power and comfort. I love this bike.thumbsup.gif

168112394-L.jpg

Sidmariner

I love my two old Ks, but I've got to say, that is one ugly bike.

If they could transfer the RT lines to the K frame I'd take one in a heartbeat. Even the GT from two years ago was a nicer looking bike.

Oh well, I'm sure the bike is great to ride, and that's all-important.

duckbubbles

People ought to be required to put at least 5000 miles on ANY bike before they can spout any opinion of it.

After seeing the K-GT around a little bit, and my cousin just bought one, it's growing on me. Except for it's size.

Frank

My first impressions from the pictures of the K1200GT were also less than heart warming. But after seeing them in person they really look better than the pictures, maybe (just like some people I know) they are not photogenic? confused.gifeek.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I really don't see why you couldn't mount an RT fairing on one of these. It is only brackets and tupperware after all. A couple of modifications to the front fairing stay, a couple of mods to the mounting points and you should be good to go. Not saying it would be cheap, just saying.

Sidmariner

Are you serious? I need 5000 miles of riding on a bike to say it's ugly?

What if I said the bike is beautiful, like just about every other BMW I've ever laid eyes on? Does that mean I'm spouting an invalid opinion too?

I am really impressed by the technology, the new engine, the specs, the features, the handling reports, the heat management improvements and everything else about the bike and, as I "spouted", I am sure it's a great ride, which is the most important factor.

Maybe what you're really saying is that it is bad form to criticize another guy's bike. If that is the case then I'm sorry that I think the bike is ugly. I should have said, "Wow, that is an "interesting" bike", or "Nice photograph!"(it is).

So, I apologize and take back my opinion that the bike is ugly.

...nice photograph.

RichEdwards

Here's what I traded in for the GT:

43732131-L.jpg

That RT is one of the most beautiful bikes ever built by BMW. However, the GT is 10 times more capable. More powerful, smoother, more technologically proficient, more comfortable. If I was interested in beautiful bikes, why would I own the other great BMW---the R1200GS (very ugly and very capable.) wave.gif

43732131-L.jpg

That RT is one of the most beautiful bikes ever built by BMW. However, the GT is 10 times more capable. More powerful, smoother, more technologically proficient, more comfortable. If I was interested in beautiful bikes, why would I own the other great BMW---the R1200GS (very ugly and very capable.) wave.gif

You traded your RT AND the Mabry Mill for the GT?? You must have really liked the test ride!! grin.gif

I have saying for at least 8 years how much I would like to have a RT frame with a K engine in it. What could you possibley complain about? Shorter wheelbase, telelever from end, smooth as silk engine, protection, and power. I think some guy actually built one a few years ago and it was advertised in the MOA mag.

I always take magazine "bests" with a grain of salt. In 1971 Motor Trend named the Vega "Car of the Year". lmao.gif

BMW must really be buying ad space in CW. The KGT is too UJM for me and ugly too.

"Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong"

Cheers

Steve

Frank Cloud
People ought to be required to put at least 5000 miles on ANY bike before they can spout any opinion of it.

After seeing the K-GT around a little bit, and my cousin just bought one, it's growing on me. Except for it's size.

Frank

I agree that they should put SOME miles on the bike before you comment on the ride, but the looks??? C'mon. lmao.gif

Bheckel169

And then, according to other "experts", the FJR beat the GT hands down in other comparo's.

So, it really comes down to what turns your crank. I for one love my RT and I'm not taking it back.

Bruce

...By Cycle World. I must agree. Here's mine in the Canadian Rockies last week. I traveled nearly 8000 miles with great power and comfort. I love this bike.thumbsup.gif

168112394-L.jpg

Rich, congrats on the bike!!! I'm jealous. Great scenery as well and your old RT in silver will go down as one of the sharpest bikes ever.

Don't let the "Ugly Bike" High Jack take away your pride in the bike.... blush.gif I'm sure the comments were not meant to be directed at your personal choice.

Jim VonBaden

What is sad is how many spout crap about a bike without a clue.

One man's beauty is another man's ugly. Saying it is ugly is unnecessary and mean. No one asked for your opinion as to how it looks.

Same thing happens when every new version comes out. The GS was fugly when the 12GS came out, same with the ST after the RS, and the RT after the 1150RT.

In a few years the next set of ugly bikes will come out and people will lament the old days.

Get over it, progress happens! You might not like it, but things change.

I heard a guy saying the other day that the last nice looking bike was an R100RS. He was postulating that BMW should have updated the mechanicals, but not the look. Can you imagine how few would sell if they did that? dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

Jim, you might want to ponder a training program on being clear about your thoughts. You seem skittish about opening up.

wink.gif

168112394-L.jpg

You didn't take me!!!

ISYHTRAH

First of all, great picture in great scenery. You should be tickled to ride a new GT; I know I would be. I think the looks of any bike grow on you over time. So many people called the R12RT ugly when it was launched, but I love the look, and get many compliments on it. I could easily ride a GT, and would love it.

Now now now......I went through the same thing when I bought my RT. And I personally don't think that the GT will when any awards in the looks dept. I have been in times past known to take a whack at its looks. However...I am considering one! GASP!!! It is down to that or the Kaw 1400. Haven't made up my mind yet. And not that either one will repalce the RT. I love that bike in all categories to include looks. And we all have out tastes in bikes, cars, guns, watches, women, ( I like redheads other men can't stand them) even our homes. So I think tastes just vary to include bikes. So people should just lighten up and go with one's comments about THEIR tastes as to what THEY like!

If someone said my wife was gorgeous I wouldn't get offended it would be a compliment...if the opposite was said then I would have to disagree...after all the $$$ and frequent trips to the nail salon, the fooofy hair cut place and Nordstom's would have to say otherwise! tongue.gif

BTW I do think the GT will perform. And the scenery displayed with the GT certainly gives it an added "buy me" enticement! grin.gif

Jim VonBaden

Jim, you might want to ponder a training program on being clear about your thoughts. You seem skittish about opening up.

wink.gif

Yeah, I guess I need to work on my communication skills! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Jim cool.gif

chrisolson
And Rider magazine named the F800ST as the best sport tourer.
I've had one of those as a loner for a couple of days. I gotta laugh at that statement - its a nice bike - but "best sport tourer" eek.gif ... not even close ...

How about the other BMW K bikes or the R1200S or the Honda Interceptor or the Triumph Sprint ST or the Ducati S3/S4 or any of the new "naked" sport bikes or .... the list goes on .... and on ....

Maybe its all in how you define Sport Touring confused.gifgrin.gif

I've had one of those as a loner for a couple of days. I gotta laugh at that statement - its a nice bike - but "best sport tourer" eek.gif ... not even close ...

How about the other BMW K bikes or the R1200S or the Honda Interceptor or the Triumph Sprint ST or the Ducati S3/S4 or any of the new "naked" sport bikes or .... the list goes on .... and on ....

+1

I had a chance to ride one of these (800 ST)for a few miles. I was impressed by its speed and agility. I do not hink it can drag my a$$ for the miles I would need it to...I do think it is great machine that one could own as a 2nd bike and be comfortable in the short hauls.

Ugly bikes. Well, I sold my vStrom in order to buy an 06 R1200RT. I specialize in ugly bikes. Never have noticed how they look while riding. As they say, "Ugly rides too."

As they say, "Ugly rides too."

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

So true. The best riding horses I ever rode were the ugliest ones. The rest I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for.

As for Rich's ride, I think it looks good and I'd gladly trade my RT for his K. thumbsup.gif

I agree with you but the magazines only compare "new" bikes. Thus, the competition does not include the bikes you mentioned. That's why those bike of the year awards are crap because there are only about 10-20 "new" bikes a year.

43732131-L.jpg

10 times more capable??? That seems a bit of an over statement.

I do agree with your assessment of the R1100RT/R1150RT being one of the most beautiful bikes. As a matter of fact that is my bike's name, Beautiful. The name was a natural after I gazed upon my newly acquired cycle sitting in the garage, ready for the day's ride. The design team was hitting on all cylinders when they came up with that design.

RichEdwards

10 times more capable??? That seems a bit of an over statement.

True. Enthusiasm leads to hyperbole. It's more like 1.5 times as capable. grin.gif

168112394-L.jpg

That picture is worthy of being poster size and on a wall.

That picture is worthy of being poster size and on a wall.

+1. Very nice picture indeed. And a very nice bike as well.

Opinions are like... well you know. Everybody has one!

It's a great photo with a nice back ground! grin.gif

What I have found on this board is all the guys with bikes other then the new RT/GT's hate the looks and always shoot them down for it. I'll admit I didn't like the looks of the new bikes when they came but they grow on you after some time. At least they don't look like every other bike going down the road. I also find the older RT's look very dated. That is just my opinion. So don't take it to heart. I love my RT and you guys love yours, some people like Harley's and some people don't. So what, who cares just get out there and ride what you want!

thumbsup.gif

Opinions about motorcycle appearance is a topic that reasonable people can agree to disagree on.

What I find funny in all of that is the view from the cockpit doesn't include what the bike "looks like".

You see the gauges, windscreen, bars, mirrors, and the taillight of the gal who just passed you. grin.gif

Personally I think the original GT is better looking than the KRT/GT2. But, without question, the new GT is improved in many ways and offers a riding experience that most would assess as "better than" the previous model.

Anyone unhappy with their GT/2 can call me and I'll gladly remove the eyesore from your premises. grin.gif

When I first saw that new K1200GT, I thought it was the Honda ST or something. Didn't look like a BMW to me at first..

Now now now......

If someone said my wife was gorgeous I wouldn't get offended it would be a compliment...if the opposite was said then I would have to disagree...

Anyone who would tell you, unsolicited, that your wife is ugly is a butt head. It is the same way with bikes. Nothing good ever comes from such a comment so why make them? I'm with Jim on this one.

A-Red Bill

Ugly? Well, it was siting in my garage, I would not kick it out for eating crackers.

Will be replacing the RT someday and the GT is already on my short list.

Now now now......

If someone said my wife was gorgeous I wouldn't get offended it would be a compliment...if the opposite was said then I would have to disagree...

Anyone who would tell you, unsolicited, that your wife is ugly is a butt head. It is the same way with bikes. Nothing good ever comes from such a comment so why make them? I'm with Jim on this one.

Don't start..I have an opinion. I don't get upset about the ugly RT comments..nor would I get upset if someone thought my wife AND my bike were ugly. It is an opinion....I respect that, maybe you should adapt the same philosophy?

Now now now......

Solicited or not, them's fighting words

http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=13718

I know we're talking K bikes, but this brings out the Boxer in me. Boxer.gif

blitzkreig

I like the new angular look. Very sharp.

The others ones look pregnant ... even beluga like.

The whole BMW line in recent years has taken on the "inflated" style and if it is going out I couldn't be happier.

I will bet that the era of the huge bulbous trunk joins the 3 foot tall sissy bar in motorcycle infamy.

Don't start..I have an opinion. I don't get upset about the ugly RT comments..nor would I get upset if someone thought my wife AND my bike were ugly. It is an opinion....I respect that, maybe you should adapt the same philosophy?

Why would I adopt that philosophy? I have a pretty poor opinion of any man who would allow another to insult his wife. The technical term is wuss. Let your wife read this and let me know what she thinks.

The bike, it doesn't get it's feelings hurt and I pretty much don't care what people think anyway. But I think it indicates a social short coming when people tell other's their choice of bike is poor when it wasn't asked for.

I like the new angular look. Very sharp.

The others ones look pregnant ... even beluga like.

The whole BMW line in recent years has taken on the "inflated" style and if it is going out I couldn't be happier.

I will bet that the era of the huge bulbous trunk joins the 3 foot tall sissy bar in motorcycle infamy.

When I got my 2001 KRS, I thought it was the sleekest bike. A former girlfriend thought it looked like an oblong jelly bean. After that, I just could not see it any other way. Awesome bike though. People would stop and talk to me to say what a beautiful bike it was.

Ok...you win! Feel better now?? We have had other unproductive comments in the past and this one is not going to get any better. And wuss huh?? I have been in the hospital 5 times from being stabbed, beat by multiple suspects and other numerous things. So get off the fact I cannot take care of myself. Maybe you should talk to some of the people who have attempted to put me out for the count? I think they have another opinion other than wuss. I have done more a$$ kicking in a week then you have ever done. Like I said before....your limited views are a bore. Go do something productive will ya?

Les is more

Sometimes I don't read a topic as carefully as I should because it appears to be fairly benign. It's amazing to me that this one could turn so far south.

Personal comments have no place in this discussion. Time for you boys to end the Pi$$ing match and get back to the topic, if there's anything left to say.

Thank you.

Jim VonBaden
Ok...you win! Feel better now?? We have had other unproductive comments in the past and this one is not going to get any better. And wuss huh?? I have been in the hospital 5 times from being stabbed, beat by multiple suspects and other numerous things. So get off the fact I cannot take care of myself. Maybe you should talk to some of the people who have attempted to put me out for the count? I think they have another opinion other than wuss. I have done more a$$ kicking in a week then you have ever done. Like I said before....your limited views are a bore. Go do something productive will ya?

So someone calls you a wuss and you get bent, but not if someone calls your wife ugly? eek.gif

Sorry, but bad manners are bad manners.

I hope you never get hurt in the line of duty, I assume, again. Thanks for your service, I assume.

Jim cool.gif

My wife laughed at the post. Her comment was...."Well if that's the worst that happens we'll be ok" Life is to short to get into it with people over just anything. I have seen enough in my job to know what is important and what is not. I am not bent about anything, that is your perception. Just making a statement that I can and will take care of myself. Hope that clears it up for you.

RichEdwards

So to conclude--------

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

intelbikecrop.jpg

170067255-L.jpg

But the most beautiful thing about a motorcycle (and a spouse) is its usefulness, not its looks. During the last three summers, my bikes have taken me to Alaska, Nova Scotia, and the Canadian Rockies. I have seen many beautiful things from the seat of my bikes. They have been loyal companions on some wonderful journeys. One couldn't wish for more in a bike (or a wife.) thumbsup.gif

Time for some poetry:

For beauty I am no star,

There are others more handsome by far.

But my face, I don't mind it,

For I am behind it.

It's the people in front that I jar. wink.gif

Archived