IGNORED

Never, ever get used to having ABS.... UHG!!

Lone_RT_rider

Joe Frickin' Friday
Shawn,

Please make sure that you do not have a tibial plateau fracture. The mechanism was perfect for that injury.

The Doc nailed it. After much prompting from people that are close to me, I took the time to go see a doctor. They did X-rays and sure as shootin, I have a fracture. A visit with an orthopedic surgeon is forthcoming. My summer riding season just got really, really short. Anyone want to help me put my RT back together when the trans comes back from Bruno? crazy.gifeek.gifdopeslap.gif

164235369-L.jpg

Shawn

Give me a hollar when it comes back from Bruno. Will work for beer! wink.gif

+1.

Lone_RT_rider
Me too...is there a starbucks nearby? grin.gif

There is one a mile from the house with hot looking women that frequent the place driving BMW's and speaking marketing and sales speak. AND...they have a fresh stock of newspapers so you can be in traditional tech day form! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Oh... The fracture isnt as bad as I thought, but it seems they think I need to see an Orthopedic anyway. I have an appointment at 10:30 tomorrow morning. Here's the break..... smile.gif

171682218-O.jpg

Shawn

Looks like YUK! Heal quick. Starbucks/women in bmw's/marketing speak/paper to read while Chris works. I'm IN!!! grin.gif

The Doc nailed it. After much prompting from people that are close to me, I took the time to go see a doctor. They did X-rays and sure as shootin, I have a fracture. A visit with an orthopedic surgeon is forthcoming.

Shawn,

So very sorry to hear the diagnosis frown.gif

Hope you heal quickly and are back on the bike soon! wave.gif

Anyone want to help me put my RT back together when the trans comes back from Bruno?

Honey - If you wanted to have a tech day here, all you had to do was say something... not break something! dopeslap.giflmao.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

A comeidian...... Who'da thunk...brutal...My boys got a cracked whatcamacallit and were cracking jokes...

Can he still make beer?

Tech day at Shauns ( fill in date)

Anyone want to help me put my RT back together when the trans comes back from Bruno?

Honey - If you wanted to have a tech day here, all you had to do was say something... not break something! dopeslap.giflmao.gif

Pa dum dum (drum)

cymbal (optional)

Audience (laughs) lmao.gif

sh_humor_vaud_3_e.jpg

grin.gif

lmao.gif +1

Truly a classic! lmao.gif

Lone_RT_rider

Truly a classic! lmao.gif

Obviously she doesn't remember our last tech day we held at the house in Michigan. I am not sure which was more painful...lol. The knee, or the tech day! crazy.gifeek.gifdopeslap.gif

Shawn

daveinatlanta

Shawn,

Nice x-ray of your leg. Looks fine to me so why are you not riding?? grin.gif

Seriously - I'm glad you got thru relatively unscathed and, if it had to happen, we're all glad it was near your home rather than on your Torrey trip.

Your title ''Never get used to...." says it all for me. I came from the non-ABS world and I still (try to) use front and back braking but lately I've been getting a little lazy with my right foot. Your incident is a great reminder for me to wake up and ride right.

Sorry about your mishap, Shawn. I've had two incidents this year of the "automatic foot extension" that I'm still reeling from. Thanks for the wakeup call about that and ABS.

Get better soon; El Paseo is not that far away!!

Lone_RT_rider
Get better soon; El Paseo is not that far away!!

Ummmmm....errrrr....uhhhh... According to the Doctor that is doing the surgery a week from Friday, that's going to be a close call. It seems I not only have a fracture, but a torn ACL, meniscus and a few other things that were discussed but I can't remember today while we reviewed the results of my MRI.

Mitch said he would help me out though. He offered to loan me a left side elf peg. I promised to try and optimize my RideSmart position, but I couldn't promise that I wouldn't bring the elph peg back just a bit shorter than he gave it to me. crazy.giflmao.gif

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it’s over. After getting up at 4:30 this morning and getting to the hospital by 5:50. Surgery was finally over and we were out the door at 12:15.

The doctor filled me in on what he found during surgery, and well it wasn’t pretty. The knee was filled with bits of cartilage that needed to be cleaned up and the ACL was not looking so pretty. Actually, it was almost hanging by a thread. Shawn had given him the “OK” to only do the ACL if it looked horrible. Well, he did it.

Before:

177571040-S.jpg

After:

177571031-S.jpg

I write this as he lies on the couch, snoring away and for the first time since the surgery today, not in an enormous amount of pain. This is a good thing.

Hopefully the recovery process will go smoothly and he will be up and riding again in no time. I know how much he missed it before the surgery. I just hope he doesn’t have to wait to long now that it’s done. We will know more on Monday after meeting with the Doctor again.

ShovelStrokeEd

Wow! Shawn, I have seen something similar in one of my own knees and can sympathize. The good news is that it will be MUCH better than it was before once you heal. Take a word of advise and don't push it but do follow all the PT instructions. Knees are fragile on bigger guys, I know it well. Give it time to heal properly.

Do they have you in one of those groin to ankle casts? I can tell you that they are no fun. Even when it came off, I had an Ace that was nearly as large on there. Had to shave all around my hip area so I could tape a garbage bag in place in order to take a shower.

Just giving you some things to look forward to. eek.gif

Since he is still snoozing I'll answer the cast question. LOL

He is in a black brace that locks his knee in place. It's not a full blown cast. He can't bend it at all. Not fun... Maybe a ride around the neighborhood on the "S" will make things better!... eek.gif Maybe not... dopeslap.gif

Looks like Daddy is going to be off his boots for a while! If you need another batch of Rum Runners whipped up, just let me know!

Maybe not... dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

What Ed said.

Take time, do it right, or else. thumbsup.gif

Hope the road ahead is smooth and healing is fast and complete. wave.gif

Looks like Daddy is going to be off his boots for a while! If you need another batch of Rum Runners whipped up, just let me know!

mmmmm... Rum Runners...

drooling_homer.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Well, it’s over. After getting up at 4:30 this morning and getting to the hospital by 5:50. Surgery was finally over and we were out the door at 12:15.

...I write this as he lies on the couch, snoring away and for the first time since the surgery today, not in an enormous amount of pain. This is a good thing.

Hopefully the recovery process will go smoothly and he will be up and riding again in no time. I know how much he missed it before the surgery. I just hope he doesn’t have to wait to long now that it’s done. We will know more on Monday after meeting with the Doctor again.

Shoot, I never did ask what time the surgery was. If Shawn's that out of sorts today, I'll skip calling until tomorrow.

Rest up and heal well, buddy. thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

The doctor filled me in on what he found during surgery, and well it wasn’t pretty. The knee was filled with bits of cartilage that needed to be cleaned up and the ACL was not looking so pretty. Actually, it was almost hanging by a thread. Shawn had given him the “OK” to only do the ACL if it looked horrible. Well, he did it.

Before:

177571040-S.jpg

After:

177571031-S.jpg

I write this as he lies on the couch, snoring away and for the first time since the surgery today, not in an enormous amount of pain. This is a good thing.

It's just a flesh wound.

thumbsup.gif

Take care, and stick to your PT. You'll be back melting tires and grinding down footpegs in no time.

gOODNESS, sHAWN..! I am just catching up to this whole deal..!

I hope you heal quickly and aren't in pain much longer.

I also hope that your scoot is put back together with the utmost care -

Be Well..

• 3 weeks later...

I'll fly down and put that trans back in for rum runners and a fare share of your pain meds. smile.gif

'BONE, is that Rosie O'Donnell as your Avatar?

Lone_RT_rider

I'll fly down and put that trans back in for rum runners and a fare share of your pain meds. smile.gif

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm Jakes Rum runners! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

After Physical Therapy today, I could use one of those! eek.gifclap.gif

Shawn

Surely you've seen 'Bone in the condition of one beer too many before! eek.gif

( grin.gifwave.gif Mr. Bone!)

Lone_RT_rider

If you can get Jake to drive up his Rum Runners (with Paula), I will gladly take you up on that deal. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

Sometimes a person is damned if they do and damned if they don't. In my parking lot incident (too long of story) I did keep my legs close to the bike, and let it slam to the side. Was not able to keep my foot clear of the brake peg and foot peg. Needless to say, 4 broken bones and lots of nerve damage. Was wearing high quality boots, but the end result was the entire weight of the bike struck the inside of my foot in two places, less than l/2 in diameter. Looking back, if I had had time, I would have bailed instead. It all happened in a millisecond, so not that much time to react. So...................you might have been injured either way. Hope you mend soon. My mishap is coming up on one year and I am still working on full recovery. bncry.gif

Archived