IGNORED

K1200GT for medium size riders

coach03860

I am looking for some first hand opinions on the K1200GT for smaller/shorter riders. I have been on an R1200GS (low seat/low pegs) for 2 years now and before that a F650GS after a couple Hondas so although "I've been around the track a time or two" I am all NEW to the sport touring world. The 1200GS is great, but now that I'm in my 50's I really don't "off-road" any more and since retiring early at age 52 I am now looking at extended bike trips throughout the US and Canada. I know the 1200GS is the "go anywhere/do anything bike" but somehow 4000 mile trips look a bit uncomfortable to me on that bike. I checked out the R1200ST but IMHO that was even more uncomfortable. I had the GS in for service yesterday and the salesman who sold it to me threw me the keys to a 2007 K1200GT and off I went. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by that bike. It seemed to handle better than my GS ever could and was oh so comfortable.

confused.gif My question is that at 5'8" tall and 160lbs with 30"inseam and not all that strong, are there other "strength and vertically challenged" riders out there on the K1200GT? Although I knew the bike was >150 lbs heavier than my GS it sure didn't feel like it, although I never got to try it in tight traffic maneuvers. Soooo, any smaller riders out there with some miles on this bike? I never thought I would trade my R1200GS but I can not get that K1200GT out of my mind

I have a 31 inch inseam and the bike poses no problems for me. The bike will be slightly less nimble in city/traffic but honestly you'll adapt in a matter of days. It is heavier though, so just be careful you don't ever have to reverse up an incline...

The K12GT is terrific apart from the seat which sucks.

Go for it!

R1200RT. Even more comfortable than the GT. Broader fairing. Better air management. And substantially lighter. Handles better, too, IMO. Seat still sucks, though.

+1 for what EffBee said. If you are going to be traveling around the country I believe you would be happier on an RT vs. GT. It offers great protection, comfort, and certainly enough power to get you in trouble. See if you can take an extended test ride on each bike so you can make a more informed decision. Congratulations on retiring at age 52. Have fun.

I just traded my GT for an RT because I needs a more upright riding position. The GT is a damn fine bike, but thse hurtin knees needed some relief.

Oh yea. The seat on the GT is the worst I have ever been on. I had a BMS saddle at 1500 miles (BMS is the only one that looks right on that bike).

B-

Oh yea. The seat on the GT is the worst I have ever been on. I had a BMS saddle at 1500 miles (BMS is the only one that looks right on that bike).

B-

Apparantly BMW agreed because they redesigned the seat. The new seat is way better than what came out with the 06 and some of the early 07 models. I couldn't stand the original seat, I hurt after sitting on it for 5 minutes in the show room. I assumed that would be the first thing I replaced on the KGT when I got it. However, the bike I purchased had the new style seat and I was pleasantly surprized. For me it's been good for all day rides and I have no need to replace it. So if you do go the KGT route make sure it's got the new style seat.

I'm 5'07, 175lbs with a 29 inch inseam. I have no problems at all with the weight/hight of the bike. It also has better low speed handling than my 03 KGT had.

John Bentall
confused.gif My question is that at 5'8" tall and 160lbs with 30"inseam and not all that strong, are there other "strength and vertically challenged" riders out there on the K1200GT? Although I knew the bike was >150 lbs heavier than my GS it sure didn't feel like it, although I never got to try it in tight traffic maneuvers. Soooo, any smaller riders out there with some miles on this bike? I never thought I would trade my R1200GS but I can not get that K1200GT out of my mind

Well, I found it hard work to get on and off the centre-stand. Did you find the same thing?

Some of the reasons I went with an RT over the GT involved the ease of pushing it around a garage, putting up on center stand, very slow turns, etc and the lighter weight contributed much to that ease. I also reluctantly realized that the extra power of the GT was really not that useful for my riding. I'm the same age & weight as you although a bit taller. I ride the RT with the saddle in high position.

Dave McReynolds

Well, I found it hard work to get on and off the centre-stand. Did you find the same thing?

I agree. I don't find it to be a big issue, but you're right, I seem to have to rock it more vigorously than any other BMW I've had to get it off the center stand. I know some people ride it off, which may be the answer, but I'm not in the habit of doing that.

I must have gotten one with the new seat. While no motorcycle seat is comfortable for me after a few hundred miles, the new K1200GT seat is certainly as comfortable as any, and I haven't considered changing it.

I'm 5'11", with a 31 or 32" inseam. One thing a shorter person should like about the K1200GT is the taller stock windshield that comes with the bike (I know there is also a shorter version, but my dealer stocks everything with the taller one). It is just about an inch short of being perfect for me, so if I were an inch shorter, it probably would be perfect.

I agree. I don't find it to be a big issue, but you're right, I seem to have to rock it more vigorously than any other BMW I've had to get it off the center stand. I know some people ride it off, which may be the answer, but I'm not in the habit of doing that.

There is actually a service bulletin about the center stand. The stops for the down position were not adequate on some bikes and allowed the stand to actually go past it's normal down location making it VERY difficult to get off the stand. It also would get progressively worse with use.

B-

I had a 07 GT for a very short time. I'm 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam, and I found it to be the most top heavy BMW I've ever owned. It's great when you get going, but you've got to stop eventually, and if it happens to be on a steep side slope, you need to be very nimble to keep the thing up right. The RT is a much better touring bike IMO....had one of those too. I have a K12S and I think it is about the same weight as the GT, but it feels substantially lighter. No problems moving it around the garage, etc.

A few people beat me to the punch on this. While I expect you could handle the GT, if you're concerned about "strength" issues, I'd consider the RT. It's noticeably lighter, and has greater load-carrying capacity than the GT (and many other bikes, for that matter, including the Gold Wing, FJR etc.). That said, it's not going to give you the same adrenaline rush as the GT on acceleration.

clap.gif DONE DEAL! I took the K1200GT out for an extended test ride again today and when I came back I just said "quick, gimme' the paperwork to sign"!!!!

I pick it up next Friday. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all the advice on the switch and ya' know anyone who wants a nice '06 R1200GS???? grin.gif

clap.gif DONE DEAL! I took the K1200GT out for an extended test ride again today and when I came back I just said "quick, gimme' the paperwork to sign"!!!!

I pick it up next Friday. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all the advice on the switch and ya' know anyone who wants a nice '06 R1200GS???? grin.gif

Congrats and welcome to the K club. thumbsup.gif

Archived