IGNORED

Gas Mileage with AEROFLOW windshield

ully211

Have been using a new Aeroflow (+4) Windshield on my '02 RT for little over a year (did have a Cee Bailey Euro +2), and have noticed a 4-5 mph drop in the bike's gas mileage. Anyone else notice the same thing? Thanks

I use an Aeroflow on my RT, which I use to commute 107 miles per day (mostly highway). MPG hovers around 52 and my average (moving) speed according to the Zumo is 71 mph. Not bad. I'm sure if I used a smaller screen, I could pick up a few MPG since the aerodynamics of the bike would be improved, but the Aeroflow offers excellent protection from the wind and elements, so I stick with it.

I did briefly use a Z-technik shield (much smaller) earler this year. MPG went up by 1.5 but the protection offered by that smaller screen was not comparable to the Aeroflow.

-MKL

My mileage decreased 3-4 MPG after installing the medium Aeroflow. Comfort MPG increased a corresponding amount.

Bill

Put my Aeroflow on right after the RT purchase. Stock shield was horrible for my size.

I can't say how much the MPG dropped, but you will definitely push more air with the Aeroflow. The old RT averages from a low 42 up to 48 mpg routinely and that is mostly 2 up. Can't complain at all, that is unless you compare it to my little GS at 68 mpg tongue.gif

Seems to me, mileage should improve with correct screen at correct setting for less turbulence: Less turbulence means less perturbation of airflow, and therefore more efficient air flow. A bigger/longer screen at a lower setting (angled back more) to reduce the gap between screen and rider and streamline the rider's frontal area should be an improvement in terms of turbulence, noise, and fuel efficiency.

Inversely, when you perturb the airflow, you wind up paying for every single molecule that you needlessly move, even those behind the bike in its wake. Sounds strange, but true.

I must be perturbed properly because my Aeroflow is a Medium and set usually low, especially in the heat of the summer and I'm getting 52 to 56 mpg on average and at highway speeds about 50% of the time.

Bruce

Archived