IGNORED

New Kid on the block with questions

dpontow

Howdy everyone. I've been lurking in the shadows on this forum for a while but this is my first post. This "kid" finally had his 50th birthday about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Then a week later he sold his 2003 Road King and the next day picked up his new 2007 R1200RT with all the goodies except the radio. In the week and a half and 200 miles that I've had the bike, I've picked up a couple of questions and stumbled across one tip that I'll share.

First, let me ask if anybody else out there has tried the Touratech adjustable shift lever? I had one delivered the other day in an attempt to get my size 12, big nasty toed Harley boots underneath the shifter. The idea is great but I'm having all sorts of trouble with the design and quality control (or lack there of) on the shifter. The worst problem is that the clearance hole and thread hole for the cinch bolt don't line up with each other so I can't tighten the shifter down onto the shaft.

The second thing is the headlight adjustment. Try as I might, all I could get it to do was spin the plastic knob on the shaft. Couldn't seem to get a phillips into the end of it either. Took it to the dealer and they claimed that they were able to adjust it. Haven't had an opportunity to take it out in the dark to check. The real reason I'm talking about the headlight is that while I was installing my new mirror safety cables, it dawned on me that when you take the mirrors off you can easily see the horizontal and vertical headlight adjustment mechanisms. By reading the threads and by personal experience I know that it's next to impossible to see them any other way. Just thought I would share that.

I've got some footpeg lowering kits from Suburban Machinery coming and a Givi E52 top case. Thanks to all the great posts in this forum it really helped me to figure out what I needed for this machine. I'd love to have my Russell day long saddle but that build date isn't until September 4th.

And the last question is about your experience with the bike's behavior during break in. I have never had a machine that showed such a huge change in the first couple of hundred miles of break in. The first 50 miles I was wondering if this thing had any kick to it at all. Granted, I was taking it easy, but man did it seem sluggish. Now at 200 miles, there is a huge difference in the bike's performance. The transmission is finally starting to loosen up but there's still a fair amount of buzziness in the handlebars. That's comparing it to the Road King which was actually super smooth out on the open highway. The Harley was a pig in town, a rattle monster at idle, and a boat anchor in the curves but it certainly could cruise a wide open road.

Anyway, glad to be here and anxious to start experiencing this wonderful new machine.

Dale

882701-small2.JPG.6766b61968ba0303ecba14c055419b25.JPG

Dale,

Although I can't help you with your questions, I do want to say,great looking bike. From what I've been reading... blue is the most reliable and fastest.

Welcome.

Welcome Dale, and great looking bike. I think the sluggishness is due to the colour. The red ones don't experience that. grin.gif I did notice a difference during breakin, but not as much as you describe. It certainly does smooth out a lot over time though. I have 25,000km on mine and it is a much different, and better, bike now than the day I picked it up.

Jim

Dale,

I noticed the change at about 1,000 miles when it just sort of opened up more and surged with more power then I had noticed initially. Now it's smooth in all gears (1st off the block will always be a bit of a challenge), and just hums. I just don't notice the buzz anymore. Wait until you put some time into riding the curves. That's when you'll be glad you bought the RT. What a treat!

Bruce

First, let me ask if anybody else out there has tried the Touratech adjustable shift lever? I had one delivered the other day in an attempt to get my size 12, big nasty toed Harley boots underneath the shifter. The idea is great but I'm having all sorts of trouble with the design and quality control (or lack there of) on the shifter. The worst problem is that the clearance hole and thread hole for the cinch bolt don't line up with each other so I can't tighten the shifter down onto the shaft.

Dale, I have one on my R12RT. Make sure you lube it and then line up the splines--this is important and then get a mallet and tap it gently until the bolt slips in. Keep checking the bolt as you tap. You can drive it in on too far on the shaft toward the bike and the bolt will not fit and you'll say a bad word.

I like mine and it does the job as advertised.

Gregory -

Thanks for the feedback. I fully understand that the bolt won't go in until the lever is directly over the groove in the splined shaft. My problem is that even with the shift lever in my hand, not on the bike at all, I can't make the bolt go throuh the clearance hold and engage the threads to pull the hub portion together. It's like the two halves sprung apart so badly that the centerlines of each half of the bolt hole are seriously out of line with each other. I wrote a "comment" letter to Touratech and I'm waiting to see what and if I get back as a response.

Dale

Got an email back from Touratech. Very personalized and readily agreed to replace or refund. Good business on their part.

DEAR DALE

I TOO SWICHED FROM A ELECTRA TO A RT1200, AND AT FRIST I THINK THE SAME AS YOU. THEN AFTER THE FRIST SERVICE THE BIKE START TO WAKE UP.

YOU REALLY WILL NOT LIKE YOUR BIKE IN THE USA.

I AM FROM MEXICO AND I SOLD MY ELECTRA BECAUSE THE STIFF SUSPENSION AND THE BRAKES AND THE WEIGHT OF THE BIKE.

AFTER THE PURCHSE I SEND THE BIKE TO EL PASO TX AND MADE A TRIP TO LAS VEGAS AND GRAND CANYON I JUST RETURNED TO MEXICO CITY AFTER 5000 KM.

UNTIL I GET BACK TO MEXICO ROADS I THINK I MIGHT HAVE MADE A MISTAKE SWICHING FROM HARLEY TO BMW.

YOU WILL NOT SEE THE DIFFERENCE AFTER YOU HAVE PUSHED A LITTLE HARDER YOUR BIKE.

IN MEXICO I WAS THINKING WAY THE HARLEY SOLD SO WELL IN THE USA.

BUT AFTER I DROVE IN THE HIGHWAY I UNDERSTAND EVERITHING.

THE REAR SUSPENSION OF A HARLEY DO NOT MOVE A LOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE VERY BEATIFUL ROADS, UNTIL I HIT THE FRIST PORTHOLE IN MEXICO I LOVE THE SUSPENSION OF THE RT.

YOU DONT HAVE REALLY NASTY CURVES ON THE HIGHWAY SO YOU DO NOT NEED TO INCLINE YOUR HARLEY, AFTER I GET TO MEXICO CURVY ROAD I LOVED THE RT.

YOU CAN ONLY DO 75 AND AT THAT SPEED THE HARLEY IS LOVELY, BUT AT 100 IN MEXICO I REALLY LIKED THE RT.

SO MABY PUSH I LITTLE HARDER YOUR BIKE AND DISCOVER THE REAL BMW.

gettysburg

AFTER THE PURCHSE I SEND THE BIKE TO EL PASO TX AND MADE A TRIP TO LAS VEGAS AND GRAND CANYON I JUST RETURNED TO MEXICO CITY AFTER 5000 KM.

UNTIL I GET BACK TO MEXICO ROADS I THINK I MIGHT HAVE MADE A MISTAKE SWICHING FROM HARLEY TO BMW.

Don't kid yourself, there are plenty of crappy roads in the U.S. thumbsup.gif

. . .but there's still a fair amount of buzziness in the handlebars. That's comparing it to the Road King which was actually super smooth out on the open highway. The Harley was a pig in town, a rattle monster at idle, and a boat anchor in the curves but it certainly could cruise a wide open road.

Two things.

First, you actually have a 6th gear. Be sure you're using it on the highway.

Second, I'll bet you're just hanging on too tight. Loosen your grip. The BMW is incredibly stable. You may not have experienced it yet, but you can set the cruise at 110, take your hands off the bars and fold your arms. It's THAT steady. You don't have to grip it to death in order to get it to go where you want. That's old school. Relax your grip and the buzziness will go away.

Dale, Congrats on the new bike. I just rolled over 400 miles on my new 12RT, and I am really enjoying it. I agree about the engine break-in. Runs much better now.

As for the shift lever, I purchased an extended shifter from Suburban Machinery, and I am very pleased with it. Much more comfortable for up-shifts, particularly with the lowered pegs, which are moved forward a bit from stock.

Just added Hyperlites, and more farkles are on the way!

Have fun!

-Bruce

AdventurePoser

Don't kid yourself, there are plenty of crappy roads in the U.S. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, come to California... blush.gifblush.gif

Steve

ps-Hijack off...congrats on the new 07. I have a gorgeous 05 that I've put about 10K miles on since December. It keeps getting better and better, performance wise.

MEN

YOU REALLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS A "BAD ROAD" IN THE USA. WE TRAVEL 1500 MILES IN TEXAS NEW MWMEXICO ARIZONA AND NEVADA AND AT FRIST WAS LIKE I WAS DREAMING. FOR INSTANCE IN MEXICO CITY YOU CANNOT RIDE VERY CLOSE TO THE NEXT CAR BECAUSE YOU CAN T SEE THE PORTHOLE COMING.

THE ONLY THING I SEE IN USA IS A LOT OF DIRT AND GRAVEL FROM ALPINE TO I 10. A BEATIFULL ROAD CALLED THE DEAVIL TAIL FROM THE I 10 TO I 45 NEAR THE BORDER BETWEEN NEW MEX AND ARIZONA.

BEATIFULL.

Archived