IGNORED

Wyoming Weather

TNT

I hope that this may be helpful for some. Today, here in Gillette,Wy it was a nice 82 degrees. So it looks like things will warm up, its been cool and wet across the northern part of the state so far this season! confused.gif Northern Campbell

.NOW...

THROUGH 100 AM...EXPECT SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS

TO CONTINUE OVER NORTHEAST WYOMING. THE STORMS WERE MOVING TO THE

SOUTHEAST AT AROUND 35 MPH AND COULD PRODUCE GUSTY WINDS AND FREQUENT

LIGHTNING.

TONIGHT: Mostly cloudy with scattered showers and isolated

thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 40's. Northeast

winds 5 to 15 mph.

THURSDAY: Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning then

a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Highs in the upper 60's. North winds 5 to 15 mph.

Chance of showers and thunderstorms 30 percent.

THURSDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40's. Northeast winds

5 to 10 mph.

FRIDAY: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70's. Northeast

winds 5 to 10 mph.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the evening. Lows in the upper 40's. Northeast winds

5 to 10 mph.

SATURDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70's.

SATURDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40's.

SUNDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70's.

SUNDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40's.

MONDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80's.

MONDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50's.

TUESDAY: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80's.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the evening. Lows in the mid 50's.

WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80's.

I will try to post the forecast for the next week or so to maybe help, for this side of the state anyway. Here is the link to Cody's weather: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Cody%2CWY thumbsup.gif

welcome.gifTHIS AFTERNOON: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70's. North winds

around 10 mph.

TONIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 40's. East winds

around 10 mph.

MONDAY: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80's. Southeast

winds 5 to 15 mph.

MONDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the evening. Lows in the lower 50's. South winds 5

to 15 mph.

TUESDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80's. Southeast winds 5

to 10 mph.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50's.

WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80's.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50's.

THURSDAY: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of

thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80's.

THURSDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of

thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 50's.

FRIDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80's.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50's.

SATURDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80's. thumbsup.gif

This is a big help when deciding what to pack. I don't mind wearing the same thing over and ,but I sincerely hate to bring something I don't need. I'm still undecided about the electric jacket liner. I've never used heat in the Rockies in July before. I am planning to bring the Mesh Tech jacket for the desert riding.

Mark Tuttle

At the bottom of this page you will see temperature and wind maps and weather radar for the area we will be in. Perhaps this will help with packing decisions.

I travel throughout the western half of Wyoming on the job quite a bit, so stay pretty tuned into the weather situation since it greatly affects my work. Last week I travelled to the Cody area, then the next day to Jackson, Afton, and points south and back to Lander. It was so dry in the Cody area it was scary, yet at the same time in Lander and parts west it's green like Ireland. In the Big Horn Basin area right now it's so dry that the best forage for the deer and antelope is in the runoff areas along the highways, so I saw LOTS more critters on the roads than normal. Watch out!

I am continually amazed at the differences you can experience in just a few short miles out here. We have had pretty much continual rain here in Lander for the last two weeks (the Gold Wing Riders brought it with them to their Rally! bncry.gif), with thunderstorms every afternoon with lightning and torrents of rain. Forty miles away in Shoshoni it looks like it hasn't rained in five years, nothing but sparse dry vegetation and bare dirt. Five years ago we had a 53" (yes, 4 1/2 FEET) of snow in 48 hours, Shoshoni got exactly ZERO. Then, add in some elevation changes, like 4206 feet at Ten Sleep and 9666 feet at Powder River Pass 30 miles away, and you need to be prepared for just about anything.

Last June I rode from Lander to Rock Springs, then south over the Uinta Mountains to Vernal and eventually to Moab, Utah for the night. I went through snow and sleet on South Pass, fog to Farson, stunning wind south of Rock Springs, four inches of hail tongue.gif between Flaming Gorge and Vernal, then 90 degrees and killer crosswinds into Moab. I changed clothes about twenty times in 480 miles. You just have to be prepared for anything out here! The only thing that really spooked me was the hail, it hurts your hands and is like riding on ball bearings.

One last word of warning - many of Wyoming's roads are narrow with few places to turn off the road if you need to stop. This is a very rural State and it can be many miles between towns, with literally NOTHING between: no shelter, no gas, no houses, and lots of times no cell phone service. Think ahead!

Doug, I've been printing out all your posts. Great info! Thanks.

Montana weather can be about as unpredictable as Wyo weather. I think the mountain ranges must create some sort of rain/snow shadows. Some valleys will be bone dry and hot, while the next one over will be cold and wet. In the winter, it can be 10 below zero in Bozeman, and a balmy 30 degrees in Livingston, a mere 25 miles away.

On a side note, are you familiar with the road from Manderson to Ten Sleep via Hyattville? The maps I've consulted vary widely as to its condition... Paved? Gravel? Can't tell.

Thanks again for the excellent posts on Wyo weather, road conditions and route recommendations.

Hey Sean, I love your BMW logo! There's a cartoon strip in the latest Aerostitch catalog, motorcycle toolkits.... the BMW kit is a pile of cash and credit cards! Ha ha ha!

I haven't been over the road between Manderson and Ten Sleep in a while, so I asked a co-worker about it since he's been up there recently. He says the road (Hwy 31 and an un-named extension) is a good road, 65 mph speed limit, kinda narrow but in good shape. They herd a lot of sheep up there, so watch for flocks along or on the road! If you go all the way up to Hyattville and then come down on the Easternmost road, that's gravel. The State does nice things for GS riders, too welcome.gif . The road that follows the Nowood River is paved all the way from Manderson to Ten Sleep.

I posted a report earlier about the road construction between Worland and Ten Sleep, this would be a great way to avoid it if you are coming down from the North! I have not been across the Big Horns between Lovell and Burgess Juntion on Hwy 14A yet this year, and I know there was construction up there last year near Medicine Wheel, but they should be done with the worst of it by now. Again, the short waits are vastly offset by the miles and smiles of great roads between construction zones! Yeeehawww!!!!! clap.gif

Kathy, pack your electrics. Issue: Cheap insurance. Get out where there isn't help, and it becomes a life/safety issue. Heat year-round is part of my first aid kit -- too easy to chill in high dry or damp air. If you have to save space and must pack "small", then just the jacket (when the wind is cut your legs can stand cold, and you have heated grips already).

>>I remember the Salt Lake valley hitting over 95 degrees during the day, yet Park City dropping to high thirties that night -- definitely not fun being cold.

Bear Lake can drop to freezing in the summer -- that HUGE body of water never does seem to warm up. I remember laying on rocks and burning one side while I froze on the other. The "average" should have felt nice, but it didn't grin.gif

Just my $.02

Thanks Bob and all ...I'm packing my Gerbing liner. welcome.gif I've got plenty of room. Ahhh, I'm ready to go NOW!

Yeah great...lots of room, huh?! grin.gif

Now double everything you packed as if going two up!

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! eek.gif

Space is ALWAYS the 2-up problem....

BUT, Barb and I AM SO READY TO GO!! We are bringing lotsa riding gear on the scoot, and UPS is shipping all the extraneous "Cody" stuff for us.

It makes the bike lighter...hence FASTER!!! thumbsup.gif

I expect we'll be OK from 40 degree stuff up to 90's. Colder than that, we'll find something else to do while it warms up (he-he), hotter than that we sweat.

Come on Cody!! clap.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif

First look at July! clap.gif TODAY: Mostly cloudy. A chance of thunderstorms late in the

morning then thunderstorms likely in the afternoon.

Highs around 80. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of

thunderstorms 60 percent.

TONIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the evening. Lows in the upper 50's. West winds 5 to

10 mph.

FRIDAY: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the mid 80's. West winds 5

to 10 mph.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the evening. Lows in the mid 50's. North winds 5 to

15 mph.

SATURDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80's. North winds 5 to

10 mph.

SATURDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50's.

INDEPENDENCE DAY: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms

in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80's.

SUNDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

MONDAY: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80's.

MONDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

TUESDAY: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of

thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80's.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of

WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80's.

Kathy, pack your electrics.

Thanks Bob and all ...I'm packing my Gerbing liner.

I used to camp in Wyoming and Colorado a lot. One of my favorite stories, getting caught in a snow storm in the "Snowy Range" near Medicine Bow on July 5th. If my memory serves me, parts of Yellowstone are snowed in till mid-May, and winter rolls in by late August. Yes Kathy, pack your electrics!

A couple of years ago I rode over the Beartooth Mountains on July 3rd and had fun waving at the skiers as I rode past. Seriously. There is a huge snowfield on a north-facing slope way up on top on the Montana side, and they run a Poma lift on it through the summer cool.gif for all the die-hard skiers. There's a little "establishment" way up on Beartooth Highway on the Wyoming side called Top of the World, and it really is! They sometimes have gas there in the Summer, not real reliably though.

Speaking of the Snowy Range, if you are coming from the Southeast on the dreaded I-80 slab, take Highway 130 from Laramie over the Snowies, a fantastic ride that takes you up to 11,000 feet elevation right through the glacial cirques and past glacial lakes. That's always a nice break from the heat! I believe they are done with last year's construction so there should be excellent asphalt all the way, lots of nice twisties up and down. Then head down through Saratoga and on to Rawlins, Muddy Gap, Riverton, Shoshoni and on to Cody.

Speaking of the Snowy Range, if you are coming from the Southeast on the dreaded I-80 slab, take Highway 130 from Laramie over the Snowies, a fantastic ride that takes you up to 11,000 feet elevation right through the glacial cirques and past glacial lakes.

Yep, that's where it happend. (Medicine Bow is to the north of I-88 on 287. I was thinking of the Medicine Bow National Forest) Had to turn around and go back to Laramie.

A couple of years ago I rode over the Beartooth Mountains.........There's a little "establishment" way up on Beartooth Highway on the Wyoming side called Top of the World, and it really is!

Ahh geez, I wish I was taking my bike. bncry.gif

It's wet and raining 55 degrees at this time. Just summer time in the rockes! Always Tstorms in the afternoon. You can go from 90 to 60's in just 20min. Look out for Hail in the bigger Tstorms dopeslap.gif .NOW...

SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE

THROUGH THE AREA THIS MORNING. RAINFALL FROM NEWCASTLE TO MORRISEY

COULD BE UP TO A QUARTER INCH THROUGH 1100 AM...WITH LIGHTER

AMOUNTS EXPECTED ELSEWHERE.

TODAY: Occasional rain showers with isolated thunderstorms.

Highs in the lower 60's. North winds 5 to 15 mph.

TONIGHT: Mostly cloudy with scattered showers in the evening

then partly cloudy after midnight. Patchy fog after

midnight. Lows in the mid 40's. Northwest winds

around 10 mph. Chance of showers 30 percent.

TUESDAY: Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the

upper 70's. West winds around 5 mph.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50's. Northeast winds

around 10 mph in the evening shifting to the

southeast 5 to 10 mph after midnight.

WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the lower 80's. Southeast

winds around 10 mph.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of

THURSDAY: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of

thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70's.

THURSDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of

thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 50's.

FRIDAY: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of

thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70's.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of

thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 50's.

SATURDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80's.

SATURDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50's.

SUNDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80's.

You should be on the road! welcome.gif TODAY: Becoming partly cloudy. A chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs around 80. North winds 10 to 20

mph. Chance of thunderstorms 30 percent.

TONIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the evening. Lows in the mid 50's. Northeast winds 5

to 15 mph.

FRIDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80's. West winds 5 to

10 mph.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the evening. Lows in the mid 50's. Northwest winds

around 10 mph in the evening shifting to the east 5

to 15 mph after midnight.

SATURDAY: Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the mid 80's. Southeast

winds 5 to 10 mph in the morning shifting to the

west in the afternoon.

SATURDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms

in the evening. Lows in the mid 50's.

SUNDAY: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80's.

SUNDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of

MONDAY: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80's.

MONDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in

the evening. Lows in the upper 50's.

TUESDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80's.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50's.

WEDNESDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80's.

Dances With Roads

I rode through Jackson and down through Lander on my way to CO three days ago. The weather was perfect and the wind at my back. Nothing but good.

Of course up there things can change pretty fast...

Archived