IGNORED

Russell seat on R12ST

xoomerite

How is the comfort for the passenger? At least on the RT, my wife has the problem of always feeling like she is falling forward. She has to use here leg muscles to keep herself on the passenger seat. Does the new passenger seat help/resolve this problem? Anybody have any other solutions? I have tried using a towel under an airhawk cushion, but that did not work.

Here is the official photo. Looks are nothing. Comfort is everything.

Feeling a little defensive, are we? grin.gif

Here are a couple photos of the Rick Mayer saddle on my ST:

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

and the Russell photo (your attachment):

882270-DSCN1256.JPG

It looks like the "wings" of the Russell seat extend a bit further forward and are maybe a wee bit wider than the Rick Mayer saddle. The Rick Mayer saddle is a huge improvement over stock, as I'm sure is the case with the Russell. I'm glad to see that the ST is getting some aftermarket support.

How is the comfort for the passenger? At least on the RT, my wife has the problem of always feeling like she is falling forward. She has to use here leg muscles to keep herself on the passenger seat. Does the new passenger seat help/resolve this problem? Anybody have any other solutions?

It looks to me like the Russell seat in the photo has a customized front section, but the rear (passenger) section has simply been re-upholstered to match. Both Russell and Rick Mayer offer the option of a customized rear seat--that's what's illustrated in my photos of the Rick Mayer saddle. The modified passenger seats work well.

How is the comfort for the passenger? At least on the RT, my wife has the problem of always feeling like she is falling forward. She has to use here leg muscles to keep herself on the passenger seat. Does the new passenger seat help/resolve this problem? Anybody have any other solutions? I have tried using a towel under an airhawk cushion, but that did not work.

If you get the Russell dual saddle, the passenger comfort is very good. At least that is what my wife has said. She couldn't ride on the stock saddle very long, but is very comfortable on the Russell.

This has been discussed on another thread but I thought I'd add the picture of my custom seat from Rich's in Seattle, mostly to show the modification to the pillion seat. My pillion could only do 50 minutes on a stock seat, did 13 hours on a long day last week, experiencing only minimal discomfort in the last hour.

CustomSeat.jpg

I have put about 2500 miles on it since I got it. It's great.

It seems to be more comfortable in the high position. I may take off the peg lowering kit and run a couple of thousand miles to see how it does. I had the lowering kit before I got the standard seat then the Russell. My knees would get a bit stiff riding, but clear up as soon as I put my foot down.

I took the new seat on a SS1000 two days after I got it. Comfortable all the way.

Jim VonBaden

Mike, were you the one with some information on a seat maker with a spare ST pan?

My GF is in need, but we don't really want to pay for a new seat AND a custom seat if we can avoid it.

Thanks,

Jim cool.gif

It really stinks that Sargent and Corbin aren't doing replacement seats for the ST. Okay, there's only 500-600 bikes in the US, but I'm sure they'd sell at least a couple of hundred seats if they did. I for one, don't want to send my stock seat in to be rebuilt.

They both make seats for the R1200S and I can't believe there's a bigger market for those seats?

Archived