IGNORED

Stuck ESA

wyeknott

The ESA on my '05 RT is stuck on the Sport damping position. One minute it was working and then it wasn't. There are no error messages on the LCD display. I can change the pre-load but the damping won't budge. I tried resetting by disconnecting the battery for a few hours and shorting the battery leads (less battery of course) with no change. Anybody seen this problem before?

CruisinCruzan

I did a search on this a short time ago after my ESA shock got stuck in the 2 up position. It seems the early version of the ESA (of which your model is) had a sensor that would occassionally fail. It has since been replaced by a digital version. If it is a bad sensor (other culprits can be the switch, control module and other parts less commonly) you will need a new shock assembly. I have decided to wait until I am ready to put the bike away for the season as I don't want to give up any of the already too short riding season. The more gadgets we have the more gadgets that can fail.

...other culprits can be the switch....you will need a new shock assembly

I don't think it is the switch (button) because I can still adjust the preload. Its still under warranty so a new shock assembly wouldn't be a bad thing. I'll know more tomorrow when my shop opens.

I have experienced a stuck on 2 up position for my ESA. The entire rear shock assembly was replace under warrantee. Before you plan this fix make sure replacment parts are on hand. The repair took about 6 hours. The failure point was the sensor.

If the sport position works for you, you might want to wait on the repair. Might as well get that new shock assembly (if that's the culprit) a bit closer to the warranty expiration. Might save you buying one for a while after the warranty is up.

...you might want to wait on the repair. Might as well get that new shock assembly (if that's the culprit)....

That is what it was - the rear shock had a bad internal sensor. No shocks were in the USA so it had to come from Germany. I brought the bike in Tuesday afternoon to BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County and they had one shipped express and I was good to go Friday afternoon. Now that's service! thumbsup.gif

Archived