IGNORED

care for cases

Louisianaman

Louisianaman

the other day someone posted the name of a product to help care for system cases that have become dinged and scratched. does anyone recall the name of the product?

Bill Neander

I took a case with some scratches-not dings- into a paint store and they sold me a spray can of Tempo ultra enamel in satin black. It covers your standard-boot slide across the lid move- nicely.

I'm the one Mark. Givi recommended PigSnot to me, although I have not used that product yet. Have seen it in a Honda shop and a Harley shop. Someone replied to my post that they used a Scotch Brite to smoothe the scuff and then one of the back to black products as a finish coat. Think it was a Simoniz or Turtle Wax product. Have not tried that either. I have used WD40 to clean the abs cases, works pretty well. Any of the products such as ArmorAll seem to me to leave a graying residue, even the products intended to black surfaces. Several posts disagreed with me on that but guess you'll have to decide for yourself. Anyway, good luck.

Louisianaman

thanks. this was the post i was looking for. when i did a search i came up with a ZEP product and knew that didn't ring a bell. thanks for the information. thumbsup.gif

PilatusDriver

I'd start with Pledge. It will take out minor scuffs with a little elbow grease and make the cases look great...

For small scratches I've had good luck with Turtle Wax "Wet N' Black". Works nicely on the black side panels and black parts of the dash as well. Sort of a satin Armour All type finish without the dust attraction. Available in Walmart's everywhere....

-Mike

I experimented last night with some 1200 grade waterproof paper. It made the scuff disappear but left a small area that could be still seen.

I then rubbed gently around the area to blend the surface and now it's almost undectable.

I'm going to see if polishing improves it.

I took care of the mostly likely scuff areas by making my own scuff strips by painting on Truck Bed liner paint. The stuff sticks quite nicely to the plastic, is rubbery and resists scuffs. It filled the little dings that were there, is a flat color so its easly to get right. I'll post a picture later.

I've tried different things. Armor All worked well to restore color. Right now though, the bags look sort of piebald gray/black. I tried plain old Turtle Wax and now it looks like waxed piebald.

Now, the question: how do I get the Turtle Wax off before trying something else?

Mark, the "Back to Black" product is made by Mothers. Should be able to find it at any auto parts place that carries Mothers products. I bought some just the other day.

Bob Wilson

Ellicott City, MD

'00 RT

• 1 year later...

Armor All makes black objects look as you describe. The liquid is milky so it cannot help but turn the black a whitish, grayish yucky color. The bags and dash are solid black throughout the thickness. A couple of applications look fine but eventually the stuff will make the black turn.

Archived