IGNORED

02 K12RS

Moosedog

Looking at a black on with bags, topbox and tankbag with very low miles (4500). Would like in-depth reviews from current or previous owners. Give me the good, the bad and the ugly please. Have 30 years of experience on different bikes (Gold Wings, Bandit 1200S, and currently a Concours). Been thinking of jumping to a Beemer for a while now. Like the function of the RT and the looks, smoothness and linear power of the RS. Particularly looking for info on overall comfort including protection of fairing, seat, pegs/bars relationship, passenger comfort etc. Also any maintenance issues or recalls.

Thanks for your help.

I had a 2000 K12RS that I bought used. I generally liked it but didn't ride it enough so I sold it last year after owning it 3 years and 10,000 miles. Smooth engine, plenty of power, decent wind protection. Mine had a manually adjustable windshield which would sometimes fall when I hit a bump at freeway speeds. I think it was in 2002 that they switched to the oval mirrors - much better view than the round ones (and they look better, too). I had the taller windscreen and I think the "comfort" seat came standard on the newer bikes.

check out these other forums for more info:

k-bikes.com

i-bmw.com

k12rs.jpg

We think you'd be happy on this bike. Not heavy like the Conny, you can have side bags like an RT too, some say a little soft on suspension, and easy on the throttle or you;ll be in new tires faster. Oh....you better make sure Mama is on board with this decision.

Well be hoping for your new wheels.

Hey, VonDawg. Can't believe there's actually two of us on here from this part of the world. Tough decision, still like that RT of yours and Connie has been a faithful friend. If your toe is better, plan on going up on Tue. with me to look at it and drive it. Hoping to get more reviews on the bike here first. You know me, research first. I wonder what Tommy would ride?...............

ericfoerster

I just bought an 03 and I am in love. I've had the Connie and the RT and they are not fair to compare because they are all good at what they do.

The KRS is a great bike with plenty of power. Stability is it's biggest asset if you ask me. This thing is a rock on the road, a true mile muncher thumbsup.gif

k5.jpg

Check out Micapeak registry for information on reliability (http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/K12RS/). I had a K1200RS for several years, a 2000 model, and it had its share of problems. The final drive large bearing failed twice. Then the dealership figured out how to use the special adjustment tool and the problem did not re-occur.

Things to look for on earlier bikes include warranty replacement of one of the two cooling fans. Shocks are toast after about 20,000 km. If the budget can stand it, spring for Ohlins, front and rear. Wilbers are supposed to be good I have heard but I have no experience with them. You would do well to find a budget source of tires. You will need a lot of them.

The blessing and curse of this bike is its stability over all sorts of pavement. Once on a line, it holds it, but try to make a quick transition and you will really have to work hard to get the bike to move. It is very comfortable if you like the canted forward riding position. I do and I preferred it to the sit-up-and-beg position of the R1200/1150/1100RTs. Long days at high speeds were possible although fuel capacity is small thus limiting range between fill ups.

Get a comfort seat if you can find it. It is more comfortable than the standard seat. You can find used parts at the Beemer Boneyard.

Overall, I really enjoyed this bike. A Laminar Lip will clear up a lot of the turbulence you get on an open bike like this. I hope you enjoy your ride. In over 60,000 miles, the bike never failed to start and apart from the final drive problem, was completely reliable. It was an easy bike to live with, albeit expensive to maintain.

I bought an 02 K12RS new in July 2001. This was the year that saw a number of improvements as others have written. I liked the bike a lot but I had knee pain after rides of 3+ hours (me more than the bike). It is the most stable bike I've owned. The cruise control is really nice as the throttle springs are quite heavy - I think there was a recall for the throttle spring. It does chew up rear tires very rapidly if you use the throttle aggressively, which I assume you will be doing if your are looking at a sporty K12.

Give us an idea of your height, reach, etc...

The K is a fine machine.

That is looowww mileage.

How big is your passenger?

There are bar backs/risers, and footpeg lowering kits for rider.

Many different windshields are available too.

Fairing protection will depend, are you 5'6" and 140 lbs.?

Or, 6' 5" and 220 lbs like me?

I find my GT excellent for our climate as I still can get wind flow when it's hot by switching to a short screen.

My wife is 5' 4" and loves the bike. However, the GT seat is the RS comfort seat, so if you have the stock RS, well, it is a bit firmer and sportier.

That too can be changed w/BMW parts, or aftermarket.

Unlike the new K bikes, the previous generation can be ridden almost like an automatic if you desire. Pulls well in any gear from low rpm's.

It isn't as "fast" as the new K's, but I've never had a problem finding enough to pass a couple of chicken/cattle trucks on a 2 lane road.

Try it, you'll like it. wave.gif

Give us an idea of your height, reach, etc...

The K is a fine machine.

That is looowww mileage.

How big is your passenger?

There are bar backs/risers, and footpeg lowering kits for rider.

Many different windshields are available too.

Fairing protection will depend, are you 5'6" and 140 lbs.?

Or, 6' 5" and 220 lbs like me?

I find my GT excellent for our climate as I still can get wind flow when it's hot by switching to a short screen.

My wife is 5' 4" and loves the bike. However, the GT seat is the RS comfort seat, so if you have the stock RS, well, it is a bit firmer and sportier.

That too can be changed w/BMW parts, or aftermarket.

Unlike the new K bikes, the previous generation can be ridden almost like an automatic if you desire. Pulls well in any gear from low rpm's.

It isn't as "fast" as the new K's, but I've never had a problem finding enough to pass a couple of chicken/cattle trucks on a 2 lane road.

Try it, you'll like it. wave.gif

I am 5'11", 185lbs, Longer torso and shorter legs (about 33" inseam). Passengers vary from 5'4" to 5'8" all about 125lbs. I know you can always buy aftermarket stuff but it really irks me that for the price of these bikes you often need to go that route. I am the type to stay with the stock items unless they are really bad and if they truly are that bad I'm not interested in the bike. My Connie is bone stock and is fine for most riding. I am hoping this bike would be the same. I like some wind flow and like a slightly foward canted riding position. I do go pretty easy on the throttle so as not to eat up back tires.

Hijack - Eric, what seat is that and do you like it? How does it compare with stock?

I recently bought a 2000 K12RS and absolutely love it. The stock seat is not that bad actually. My only problem is that my aging knees stiffen after about the third 100 mile segment of the day on a trip. I don't really want to lower the pegs and sacrifice clearance, so I live with it. I've put 8,000 miles on mine in the 4 months I've owned it and have had zero problems (35,000 total on the bike).

Pete

If you do decide to get this bike you'll need to learn/follow Dick's MYRT.

Thanks for the reminder Eric. Actually, I've been using MYRT for a year or so now (which is when I first saw this article). It works great on the Connie and I'm sure will be necessary on the KRS. Keeps weight off the wrists, helps with butt fatigue and makes the back feel much better.

Yep, I know of this "irk" that you speak.

Like going into public restrooms and having the sink at your knees, or doorways so short that you can't walk through with your helmet on, or cars....

now there's a good one dopeslap.gif can't tell you how many cars I can't drive because the front leg room is not enough, or, the headliner is too low, (I can't use any Honda's with sunroof), or airplane seating tongue.gifeek.gif you'd better not be in the seat in front of me because you're gonna get a double dose of knees crazy.gif, not to mention motorcycles...

why these things seem built for someone 5'10" tall lmao.gif

I guess you'll need to sit on a bike, maybe ride it.

Your passenger(s) should have no problem with their seating area.

I put about 36,000 miles on an '01 K bike with lots o' farkles.

3256927-L.jpg

I LOVED the riding position, styling and effortless power. There is no "pull to the right" or frequent valve adjust intervals; however, you will get a chance to try lots of different rear tires. lmao.gif I used an Air Hawk on the seat and the tall windshield with a laminar lip (bolted, not velcroed)...worked fine for me on a number of longer trips.

Unfortunately for me, in spite of a track day and LOTS of focus on doing the right things at the right time, the handling in the tighter stuff just never quite gave me any feeling of confidence. crazy.gif Oh yeah, the fact that I had 3 clutch failures in three years didn't exactly add to the "warm all over" feelings about the bike either... eek.gifeek.gif

I now ride an '04 GS Adventure...not as much power or wind protection, but a HECK of a lot more fun overall. thumbsup.gif Oh yeah, and no tupperware to remove when working on the bike. grin.gif

Good luck!

wELL lES'SEE...where do I start.

Bought a new 2003 in Dec. 2002...put 30000 miles on her by the time I traded it for a new 2006 Triumph Sprint STA July 2006. Many trips to the Rockies on this KRS...many trips elongated with long sweepers (no problem there) and tighter twisty's (aah-oo-gah...warning Dr. Smith)

I never warmed up to the fact that this unit could carve the tight stuff. You're pushing around a load of weight (whether, unpacked once there or fully loaded getting there).

The KRS is just plain heavy. It's got a smallish tank and thus smallish miles to empty.

Fit and finish is top drawer. Really didn't have any issues with it 'cept the first time to the Rockies it was losing coolant due to an improper radiator cap...fixed by ColoSprings BMW on the spot. Thank you CSprings.!

My KRS ran hot all the time when pushed hard or caught in traffic. Neddle into the red or almost in the red many many (countless) times...had to stop on the way from Paonia to Cody because of the altitude and the lack of cooling even a year after the initial cap issue.

Expect the scoot to eat up miles. That it does do without hesitation. Riding position was perfect for me...'cept when handling the tight stuff. It's just a big ol' horse moving kinda fast and to throw it around takes alot (!!ALOT!!) of energy. Things that grew on me as I got used to riding it. It was heavy and it wasn't going to get any lighter - ever..

Twisting the loud handle was work too...I mean it took a sherpa and some cub scouts to wring the right grip. You will need to start a regiment of working your right hand and wrist now to get up to steam by the time you get to the fun curvy stuff. Riding an expensive sled like this SHOULDN'T BE WORK. (*that's why I traded it for the STA..much lighter, much more flickable, much more fun with 125 HP at the disposal of my intentions with a very light throttle pull.!! And two full sized (reversible) hard bags too.! A true sport bike with a triple attitude dressed as a tourer*)

KRS Cruise control was a blessing..! Awesome unit and never cut out once on me. A huge value and very missed on my STA.!!

I'm glad I owned the KRS...it did a lot for me - yet it fell short in a lot of categories. Things I allowed and then things that grew on me negatively that I really didn't like at all.

It ended up being not an awesome experience...just "an" experience.

YMMV

Hi,

I bought an '03 KRS last summer to replace my "02 R1150RT. This was because I wanted something smoother, faster, sportier, and without any transmission input shaft issues (yes I had just had one fail).

I rode the bike home to Washington State from where I purchased it in California. I then rode it for about two months commuting and taking day trips to see if I "liked it". I still had the RT.

I ended up selling the RS and keeping the RT.

The RT was an "easier" bike to ride. It responds better to my steering inputs around town and on the highway. The wind and weather protection is better, especially with the adjustable windshield. When riding two-up the RT feels more planted.

I figure that the ease of handling on the RT is due to the fact that it is lighter, has a shorter wheelbase, and seems to be better balanced. The weight on the RS seemed to be higher and more towards the front of the bike.

Now I will say that the RS was smooth and powerful. On the highway, going uphill on a series of wide open sweepers...NICE, almost unlimited power in just about any gear. And the cruise control? Wonderful.

The engine did have a rough idle that seems to be the way they are. It sounds "gravelly" and I think it relates not to the engine but to the dry clutch. I also had an oil leak on the bike that turned out to be a loose breather hose on the top of the engine. But while trying to research that I came across many instances of leaking rear oil seals (causing clutch plate failures) and multiple occurrences of leaks from the seals between the engine and the transmission.

I don't know enough details to defend these mechanical opinions from anyone who DOES know what they're talking about, but it DID make me wish that I'd read some of the "wrenching" sections of the RS forums before I bought it, rather that after.

So, consider the type of riding you'll do. If it's for shorter trips or commuting around town my opinion (and I could be wrong) is that a smaller more agile bike would be more satisfying.

I hope I didn't step on any toes. I know that these are very popular bikes and have a dedicated following. I just think it's good to hear a lot of feedback and consider it all before making the purchase. Buying and selling used bikes is, I think, overrated in terms of enjoyment, compared to say...riding.

Good luck,

Dave

wELL lES'SEE...where do I start.

Bought a new 2003 in Dec. 2002...put 30000 miles on her by the time I traded it for a new 2006 Triumph Sprint STA July 2006. Many trips to the Rockies on this KRS...many trips elongated with long sweepers (no problem there) and tighter twisty's (aah-oo-gah...warning Dr. Smith)

I never warmed up to the fact that this unit could carve the tight stuff. You're pushing around a load of weight (whether, unpacked once there or fully loaded getting there).

The KRS is just plain heavy. It's got a smallish tank and thus smallish miles to empty.

Fit and finish is top drawer. Really didn't have any issues with it 'cept the first time to the Rockies it was losing coolant due to an improper radiator cap...fixed by ColoSprings BMW on the spot. Thank you CSprings.!

My KRS ran hot all the time when pushed hard or caught in traffic. Neddle into the red or almost in the red many many (countless) times...had to stop on the way from Paonia to Cody because of the altitude and the lack of cooling even a year after the initial cap issue.

Expect the scoot to eat up miles. That it does do without hesitation. Riding position was perfect for me...'cept when handling the tight stuff. It's just a big ol' horse moving kinda fast and to throw it around takes alot (!!ALOT!!) of energy. Things that grew on me as I got used to riding it. It was heavy and it wasn't going to get any lighter - ever..

Twisting the loud handle was work too...I mean it took a sherpa and some cub scouts to wring the right grip. You will need to start a regiment of working your right hand and wrist now to get up to steam by the time you get to the fun curvy stuff. Riding an expensive sled like this SHOULDN'T BE WORK. (*that's why I traded it for the STA..much lighter, much more flickable, much more fun with 125 HP at the disposal of my intentions with a very light throttle pull.!! And two full sized (reversible) hard bags too.! A true sport bike with a triple attitude dressed as a tourer*)

KRS Cruise control was a blessing..! Awesome unit and never cut out once on me. A huge value and very missed on my STA.!!

I'm glad I owned the KRS...it did a lot for me - yet it fell short in a lot of categories. Things I allowed and then things that grew on me negatively that I really didn't like at all.

It ended up being not an awesome experience...just "an" experience.

YMMV

I had a 2000 that I put 50K on before trading for a Sprint STA. Same feeling as my man here. I had always owned K bikes so once I switched to the Triumph and had my first taste of the twisties, I realized a HUGE difference.

I loved the looks of the bike and put a lot of $$$ adding Ohlins, Sargent seat, Remus exhaust etc. Had it set up perfectly for me but stopped having fun with it.

I also had to pay for the rear main seal to be replaced. A $2.50 or so part that necessated 12 hours of labor which turned into a $900+ tab.

With all the problems mentioned over at the registry mentioned above, why would he not consider an FJR 1300 or even a Honda ST1300?

Those makes have very few reported issues.

Why K1200RS?

With all the problems mentioned over at the registry mentioned above, why would he not consider an FJR 1300 or even a Honda ST1300?

Those makes have very few reported issues.

Why K1200RS?

...cAUZ tHE Triumph has that triple " S O U L " thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Archived