IGNORED

New member from Toronto

red1

Hello all,

I have just joined the forum, which looks great, as a new BMW owner. I take delivery of a 2007 R1200RT on Tuesday, and am very excited (to put it mildly)! I have been riding for about 20 years on a variety of bikes, including a few classics (Kawasaki H1, Yamaha RZ350, etc.), but this is my first Beemer bike(I have a 325XIT car). Any tips for a 1st time owner? Any members out there from Southern Ontario?

Red1

Welcome aboard. If you're like me, you'll love your RT. Great for long distance, if that's what turns your crank. I just got back from Utah a couple of weeks ago, and in another two weeks my wife, and I, head to California. Bike's 13 months old, and I've got 33,000+ kms on it. Gotta love that.

Tips? Mmm, do some of your own maintenance, or if, like me, you're ham-fisted, find a good independent BMW tech.

Welcome, congratulations and you've already done the best thing you could do and that is, join this forum. You'll learn from some of the most experienced, travel tested and yes, perverse group of BMW bike afficionados on the Web. Despite the warning, stick around.

Bruce

Congrats, welcome, and +1 on this forum being a treasure trove of useful info.

BTW, what year is your 325xiT? Love my E46 (non-x).

Hello all,

but this is my first Beemer bike(I have a 325XIT car). Any tips for a 1st time owner?

Yes, it's considered proper etiquette to learn the way of the BMW bike on an older bike...like a 2000 R 1100rt.

I could pop over next week and trade mine for your R1200, just a temparary thing,maybe a couple of weeks other wise I might feel that I'm being taken advantage of. grin.gif

Seriously welcome, from out west. wave.gif

Congratulations on a great choice of bike. You will enjoy immensely. As a "sidebar" tip, if you are purchasing BMW gear (such as riding gear) it is usually far less expensive to buy from the US, even after shipping/tax/customs duty. Especially with the strong CAN dollar.

There are a number of good online sources for purchases, just do an internet search on what you are after.

Cheers and enjoy...........Rod

Welcome. You are at the right place.

BTW as another poster has already pointed out. You should really learn to ride a top heavy bike by riding an older one first. That way you won't feel so bad when you drop it.

In the spirit of US/Canada relationships, I will let you ride my 97 R 1100 RT for a couple of months while you get the hang of it. grin.gif

Then, when you feel comfortable I will bring your's back. lmao.gif

One other thing, "They all do that." is a pretty good answer for any question. wave.gif

Welcome Red! I am from an airhead background but stumbled on a 97R1100RT last fall and loved it. Lots of good info on this forum. I'm in London.

Lineareagle

Welcome red1. I'm in Burlington rideless at the moment.

Dropped my '04 RT in NV in April, it was all Whips fault, he didn't insist I stay over for the night. grin.gif

You will have alot of fun on the RT.

Advice? Ride, Ride, Ride! thumbsup.gif

Welcome Red. There is a ton of wonderful people on this board. Hang out and get to know them. Great choice in a bike by the way. You are going to love it.

I am in Pickering and work downtown TO - sure is nice to now have free parking.

You'll love your ride. This is the best site to know more than you'll ever need to know. Great contributors.

Enjoy and ride safe.

Many thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna like this...

I think I'll take a pass on all the kind offers to relieve me of my bike for the initial experience, thanks anyway. thumbsup.gif

Any Southern Ontario rides coming up, please let me know.

Red1

Welcome to the forum - you'll find it's a great place to hang out - but a word of caution! - it may be expensive - you'll find out about heaps of accessories you just have to have!

Welcome red1!!

We're getting more & more GTA riders on this board all the time!

I live in Uxbridge & work in Scarborough. Where are you? East or West end?

P.S. I see we have another 2 stroke fan!! I have a '75 Kawasaki 400 as you can see and also love triples! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Hey red, welcome to the board. I'm just north of you in Newmarket. I assume by your name that you picked the fast colour?

Jim

Hi Red1. The is a fine BMW group based out of Port Hope/Cobourg/Brighton and surrounding area. The Loonie-Tic BMW Riders of Quinte West, club website at www.ltbmwr.ca/ Their annual rally is coming up on Aug. 10-12 in Trenton.

Archived