IGNORED

R1150RT Shock Rebound Adjustment

JiminPA

Hi all,

I wanted to adjust my R1150RT shock (stock) to soften the rebound. The Clymer maunual says there are only 2 settings, all the way soft, or all the way firm. The way I read the owners manual I thought it could be set between as well. The Clymer manual indicates any in between settings will automatically result in the firm setting. Can anyone set me straight on this? I am trying to get the adjustment similar to what an r1200rt with ESA feels like on the comfort setting. If thats even possible.

I am trying to get the ride a bit smoother on the interstste highway joints and sharp bumps. I recently swithed from an HD Road King to the RT because I have some low back problems. An R1200RT with ESA set to comfort seemed to work well for my back.

Perhaps someday I will opt for Wilbers or Ohlins but right now its not a good time.

Thanks for the help

Hi all,

I wanted to adjust my R1150RT shock (stock) to soften the rebound. The Clymer maunual says there are only 2 settings, all the way soft, or all the way firm. The way I read the owners manual I thought it could be set between as well. The Clymer manual indicates any in between settings will automatically result in the firm setting. Can anyone set me straight on this? I am trying to get the adjustment similar to what an r1200rt with ESA feels like on the comfort setting. If thats even possible.

I am trying to get the ride a bit smoother on the interstste highway joints and sharp bumps. I recently swithed from an HD Road King to the RT because I have some low back problems. An R1200RT with ESA set to comfort seemed to work well for my back.

Perhaps someday I will opt for Wilbers or Ohlins but right now its not a good time.

Thanks for the help

Jim, shock rebound adjustment really won’t help you much on impact harshness like harsh or square edged bumps or pavement joints.. You would have to work with the compression dampening (not available on your rear shock).. About all you have at your disposal is spring load (that is adjustable) so lower load adjustment would help there,, or rear tire pressure (low as possible there will probably help more than anything),, & rear bike weight (adding weight to the rear panniers will allow more suspension movement & soften compression control slightly..

Easing up on the rebound dampening can improve rebound harshness on smooth edge road swells or road dips though.. The more spring tension you run the more rebound dampening you can use..

On your question about the in between rebound setting.. I really don’t know as my manual says about what you are saying & that is either all the way in or all the way out on the 1150RT..

Twisty

Archived