IGNORED

ABS problems

RTman

I took my 2002RT into a shop for the 24,000 maintenance. They told me that the "power wire" that plugs into the ABS unit has some broken pins and so the ABS brakes won't work. (It appeared to be working fine when I took it in though) --never the less, I now have NO BRAKES and the brake failure light is always on.

The service manager said that they could replace the harness for $1100 plus labor OR there might be an aftermarket plug to replace the "power wire" which leads to the ABS unit. Anybody got any suggestions ?

I took my 2002RT into a shop for the 24,000 maintenance. They told me that the "power wire" that plugs into the ABS unit has some broken pins and so the ABS brakes won't work. (It appeared to be working fine when I took it in though) --never the less, I now have NO BRAKES and the brake failure light is always on.

The service manager said that they could replace the harness for $1100 plus labor OR there might be an aftermarket plug to replace the "power wire" which leads to the ABS unit. Anybody got any suggestions ?

I'm always suspicious of problems that aren't problems until they become apparent by a "factory trained" tech.

I would question the service manager about this Phenomena.

confused.gif

My guess they broke it by dropping the tank on it while doing the fuel filter. No way that plug "just broke". DO NOT accept the bike back like that. Once you take it out the door it's your problem. I hate people like that (stealers). Let us know the name of the dealer.

Good Luck

Steve

Back in the airhead days a friend had the tech tell him his cylinder bolt had bad threads...they had pulled out. Golly wasn't the tech the one that was retorqueing the head bolts as part of the service?

He finally got a mutual acquaintence to put a Helicoil in it for him.

Beware the BMWTECH and shun the frumious added costs.

DIY...

Reminds me of something I did once...

When I was about 20 years old I had a job working nights in a gas station in Burlington, Vermont. It was the only station open all night in the area. About 2 or 3 one morning a couple came in with a flat tire. I pulled the wheel, unmounted the tire, patched the inner tube and then went to remount the tire. In the process of remounting the tire, I put the valve stem in the path of part of the tire machine and it ripped the valve stem out of the tube. With a perfectly straight face I turned to them, they were watching, and said "Looks like you need a new tube too." I charged them $4 for a new tube. They paid without asking any questions.

My sense of ethics is hopefully more refined today than it was them.

You're talking about the large multi-pin connector on the top of the ABS unit, correct?

That is one tough connector and IMHO there is no way it suddenly fails while at a dealer. Did they do an ABS flush and bleed as part of the 24K? If so it is often easier to do so with that connector removed, but they don't just break in the process. This smells of a technician bungle.

Be interesting to see what you do. Some good advice here. Of course your decision is yours alone.

FYI - after your experience I have scheduled my final drive seal repair with Ride West. thumbsup.gif

Bruce

skinny_tom (aka boney)

If I recall correctly the pins are actually on the ABS unit itslef, and the plug-in connector with all the wires is the "female."

Somewhere in my wrenching, or possibly assisting of others I experienced one of the pins on the ABS unit having pushed back into the connector when we were troubleshooting an non-functioning ABS (I always boot the ABS after putting that connector back together, just for this reason).

What appeared to have happened is that the pins did not align properly when the plug was re-engaged and the plug pushed the pin back into the ABS unit. We were able to overcome this issue by using a small set of needle-nose pliers and pulling the pin back up to it's proper height.

I could imagine the shortened pin, only having been pushed down, could look just like a broken one.

If I'm not making sense, please tell me and I'll try to reword/elaborate. Technical writing is not my fotre.

Archived