IGNORED

Well, here I sit .. (my no-ride tale..)

SWB

Here I sit, bored to death. Broken ankle, burst tendons, broken leg under the knee, leg in the air, immobile, and I didn't even get to do this on a motorcycle!

Some background here ...

Lost the transmission on my 2001 RT1100RT-P last November, as some of you might know. It was about the same time, my career started heating up. I barely had enough time to yank the transmission out and send it to Tom Cutter for repair in PA. I was hoping to get it back early and put it back together around the holidays, but due certain issues, I didn't get it back until late February. Well, by that time, I was working 7 days a week, 80 hours a week on a critical IT project (which was OK; was getting paid for every hour thumbsup.gif), so I put the Beemer project on hold.

Then in February, I started a new job which represented a terrific career opportunity, and the long hours got longer. Oh well, opportunity doesn't come along every day, so I put everything else including my Beemer project on hold, and just worked 7 days a week. But I had been commuting in California rush hour traffic since November, and not a day went by that I didn't miss my Beemer.

Well, things finally started getting under control in May, so I dove in to the Beemer project. It'd been almost six or seven months by that time since disassembly, and where I didn't document or photograph every little detail, I was pretty lost (remember, I scrambled to get the thing apart and into the shop dopeslap.gif ). It took about four weekends and some evenings, but I finally got the bike back together, including rear shaft seals, clutch job, transmission, all cables R&R, new rear works shock, new fuel regulator, left cam chain upgrade, new swing arm bearings and new bushings to replace the rear final drive carrier needle bearins, commpletely soaked and cleaned throttle bodies plus new O rings throughout and LBBS, R&R idle switch, R&R clutch control piston, new O2 sensor, new fuel filter .. in other words, I messed around enough and replaced enough that I wondered if this bike was ever going to start or ride safely again. (Seemed like every time I double checked a bolt or screw, I found something I had missed, forgotten to torque, or otherwise fouled up.)

But ride it did. After reassembly, tuning and a few misadventures (fuel leak; there's always, always a fuel leak after major R&R), it started, I RODE it for a couple of miles, and it SHIFTED LIKE A HONDA (!!). Nice job, Tom Cutter; those undercut gears made my tranny better than new! The only thing wrong was that the valves seemed noisy, but not too bad, and I intended to repeat the valve adjustment later. It was still "naked" with boxes of parts yet to be added, but boy was it SWEET!

The final scheduled work involved the front end, and I was near the finish line: Front wheel bearings, check the front A-Arm and fork bearings, R&R alternater belt, check and rewire HES, and R&R the front shock. So, I pulled the wheel off the front; "hmmm.. needs a SEAL too? Oh..crap. Ok, put that aside for later..". Couldn't get the alternater cover off "..dang RTP crash bar". Couldn't get the shock off ".. dang RTP crash bar". So, after a long, fruitless Sunday, I put the bike on hold for another week, hoping I'd be smarter the next weekend.

Then I took my fateful first vacation in 3 years: Fishing in the Bishop/Mammoth Resorts area in Central California. Had a nice day of fishing the first day. The second day, I was walking with my 18 year old daughter along a creek in town, trying to find her a nice fishing hole so she'd catch lots of fish (hint: the best way to ensure the women let you go fishing again is to make sure they catch lots of fish when you go .. wink, wink). We saw a young girl and her little "puppy" playing up on a grassy knowl just above us, perhaps 50 yards away. She had a cute, fat, Labrador Retriever. I love those dogs; I have a Lab at home.

They must love me too. In fact, this dog seemed to fall in love with me at first sight. He immediately bolted towards me, full speed, down hill, all 100lbs of fat Lab coming at me like I held his dinner bone. The first thing I thought was "...hey, what a cute dog". The next thing "... hey, he's really BIG". The next thing was "... and DANG CAN HE MOVE". The last thing before the blinding light and searing pain was "oh ..oh... I don't think putting my knee up to stop him is going to do any good ...".

He slid into my left foot, rolled through my ankle dragging it along with him, and eventually flipped me upside own. My ankle was dislocated, broken, my leg broken under the knee, and major tendons were torn and/or burst.

That's was 6/2/07. The Docs set the leg at the Mammoth ER (they seemed to know a little bit about leg and ankle injuries; go figure), and then sent me home. I had surgery five days later to repair the major damage, i.e. 8 screws, metal plates, reattached tendons, etc.. Then, a three day hospitalization for heart issues caused by the stress and strain occurred the following week.

And oh, yeah, I almost forgot, the sum of this story: My Beemer is sitting apart in the garage AGAIN, and it'll be another month before I'm mobile enough to work on it, and perhaps months of rehab before I can ride it. frown.gif

Funny thing is, even though I'm working at home from a lazy chair, I've organized enough things in my new job that I have enough time now to do anything. However, since my leg must to remain elevated above my hip, "anything" consists of work, computer browsing, watching TV, reading .. I'm bored to tears.

After waiting MONTHS to have enough time to finish the friggin bike, I have the time, lots and lots of it, but only one leg.

So, here I sit, into week 3 of maybe 9, waiting ... reading, reading, still missing my Beemer.

As bad as it feels, my mishap and that of my (bmwst) friend Cameron (a.k.a. Beemerman) has given me pause for thought. My little bump is nothing compared to Cameron's, but still, it's kind of depressing. Cameron must be going stir crazy too.

It's also crossed my mind whether I really want to get on a motorcycle again (my Beemer or my dirt bike). I'm thinking that at 51, if this kind of relatively minor leg injury can take me out of action for 3 months or more, what would happen if I took a truely serious fall like Cameron. Three weeks is driving me stir crazy, and I won't be mobile for at least six weeks. Three to six MONTHS in bed or partial bed rest would be really, really tough to take.

Anyhow, there ya have it; my "no-ride" tale. My wife said maybe God was telling me that I was working too hard, that it was time to dial it back. Well, yeah, maybe, I can buy that. But heck, I WAS ON VACATION!!

Sometimes I think that God's got a pretty good sense of humor. grin.gif

[shaking head] Yeeesh. You are not the first person I know to have been hurt by an over-exuberant lab, but I have not heard of anybody breaking bones that way. Yeeesh.

This will pass, though.

Francois_Dumas

Wow ! That gives a whole new meaning to that sign 'Beware of the Dog!', doesn't it ! grin.gif

I would go crazy too... not riding.... alright... but not being able to WORK !!?? confused.gif

I'd not give up the riding though. As you just proved, you're probably more likely to die from falling in your bath tub... or being run over by a jolly labrador... than by crashing into a tree on your RT (although Cameron did his best to make us try believe differently).

Giving up the things you love doing while you can still do them, just for a remote fear of something bad happening, is not in MY book. I think there as at least as many other risks in life... now would we give up eating !? (look at all the news about diseases, manipulated food, scams in the food industry). Or give up driving ? (More people are killed and maimed in cars each year than shot by accident or on purpose). Or, for that matter, give up the shooting range? (More people are killed in cars than by accidentally fire at the shooter next to them... or at themselves... grin.gif )

Nah !

thumbsup.gif

Hope your leg heals fast and you'll get your bike put back together again!

Happy miles !

Was the dog okay?

Just kidding, of course. wave.gif That's quite a story and I loved the way you told it. Here's hoping you heal up well and fast.

As far as giving up riding, I don't know but I often weigh the risk of all the things I do and one cannot beat fate at the roulette wheel. As you've demonstrated one is as likely to get injured falling off a ladder painting their house or something else. It's easy for one's mind to point to our bikes and think that is what is going to do me in. One has to live each day to its fullest because none of us know what's going to bring about our demise, and as I see it eliminating the risky things we love only reduces the pool of possibilities to things that aren't so enjoyable. Sorry for being a little sappy, but I'd heal up and ride on. wave.gif

Scott, I'm smiling with you. The idea that you could ride for years and not get hurt, and then get put down by a Lab just seems bizare. grin.gif That's what you get for trying to pet a dog without all your gear on. I'm going to find some politician to change the laws!

Get better soon. If I were closer, I'd organize a party in your garage and get your damn bike back together. Anybody who lives near Scott willing to help?

Well first of all Kudos on the attitude. thumbsup.gif

Wishing you a speedy recovery and I guess the moral of the tale is don't take a vacation. confused.gif (kidding)

Lineareagle

Welcome to the "Bored and the Restless".

I feel for you, I am in week 9 of a 10" plate 14 screw vacation.

I now have the go ahead for 'feather weighting', oooh so exciting!

Looks like another month of that before I go to moderate then a month to single crutch then cane then ???

AND this is the FIRST summer I don't have a cottage to worry about and I was planning some major riding.

I too have wondered about the 'too old to do this anymore' thing but nah I love riding too much, I'm just going to make sure that I ride my speed my way.

A lab took you out, that is kinda funny. I guess thats why I have Shih-tzu's. It would take a LOT of them in a very co-ordinated assault to do any major damage!lmao.gif

Well bed buddy, heal well, heal fully, don't let the bed bugs bite. But if they do grab your shoe and beat the S--t out of the little bastards. Believe me you will feel alot better after.

wave.gif

Well I have some advice. You see, I have a somewhat similar story.

First of all is as It write this my 74 pound Chocolate Lab is at my feet. She is a sweet dog and does not jump although she is very social. Next, I broke my ankle... fly fishing.

I was working along a bank of a great river here in Utah when the bank collapsed and I fell in, landing on my right lower leg, broke the tibia and other damage. Busted in 4 places.

I hardly ever go with other persons, but that day I had a friend. He helped me recover my equipment and we made a crutch and hobbled out. Fishing was good before that though.

Moral of the story as put by my wife was that I should stick to safe hobbies like motorcycle riding and leave the dangerous stuff to others...

The good news is that I got well, and you will too.

Wow, what a story...

Glad the dog didn't damage you worse, but he sure did well enough! eek.gif

Hope you heal quickly and well.

As far as giving up riding, what does that have to do with anything???

A dog took you out this time, and a dog may well take you out next time.

Even if you live your life wrapped in bubble-wrap, there will always be something unexpected that can burst your bubbles.

Sorry to hear it and I feel your pain about being bored at home. I previously dislocated a hip and badly strained the ankle on the same leg in a car accident. The kind where the doctor says I would've been better off breaking my ankle. This resulted in spending a week in the hospital watching 4 channels of television and nothing else to occupy me, followed up by 6 weeks of being immobile at home much like you are now. Once that brace was off and I was allowed to venture out to start PT for another 6 weeks I was one happy camper. Hang in there, it will get better. Just keep telling your wife/S.O. you need more sponge baths. lmao.gif

I would go crazy too... not riding.... alright... but not being able to WORK !!?? confused.gif

Fortunately, the IT organization I manage is mostly remote based. I only have a couple of staffer's in my office. I tested my endurance last week, and again yesterday, and I can't quite handle a 45 minute drive or sitting in an office chair with my leg up. I'm working in my family room in a recliner, with computers, monitors, keyboard, phones, and other office facilities at arm's length. Thank God I can work; we'd be in a world of hurt if I couldn't or if the partners of my small company were not such good people.

Giving up the things you love doing while you can still do them, just for a remote fear of something bad happening, is not in MY book. I think there as at least as many other risks in life...

It's not about the risk. My kids are grown and starting their life. I could die tomorrow and be with the Lord and have no regrets; I know my final destination. But I HATE hospitals.. modern torture chambers. I won't go into the details, but the three days I spent in the hopital the week before last, the tests, the constant interruptions (i.e. no sleep), and the pain made life not-quite-worth living.

What I was saying was that in weighing the costs, I'm not sure the risk of a serious accident is worth hopitalization and months of recovery. Geez ... I must be getting old.

Heck with it. I'll probably be riding again as soon as my legs out of the case and I can bend my foot. grin.gifgrin.gif

Scott, I'm smiling with you. The idea that you could ride for years and not get hurt, and then get put down by a Lab just seems bizare. grin.gif That's what you get for trying to pet a dog without all your gear on. I'm going to find some politician to change the laws!

Get better soon. If I were closer, I'd organize a party in your garage and get your damn bike back together. Anybody who lives near Scott willing to help?

Lol.. that's about the size of it. With all the crap I've done from motorcycles to military stuff, I end up on my butt because of someone's friendly Fido. After the shock set in a bit (or maybe my ankle swelled), and I was laying in the meadow waiting for the EMT's, I was thinking about all the consequences. First thing I thought about was "...nuts.. it's going to be a least a couple of months before I can ride ...".

As for the "cripple's TechDaze in O'Side", I'd rather we invest that time in Bakersfield to help rebuild Cameron's bike. He's the guy who needs the help and encouragement. Besides, after 8 months and all the obstacles, it's almost a point of pride to get this thing done myself (if I don't lose the parts first). I'm going to rig an office chair and try to wheel myself around to try finish the job. I figure that either sitting or laying down, I can finish most of the work.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I was feeling depressed and whinny yesterday. Seems like my leg hurts differently every day; really wierd stuff. But next week they pull the staples and replace the cast, two weeks after that they pull the screws. I'm hoping that I can start swimming then to fast-track the rehab.

Welcome to the "Bored and the Restless".

I feel for you, I am in week 9 of a 10" plate 14 screw vacation.

I now have the go ahead for 'feather weighting', oooh so exciting!

Looks like another month of that before I go to moderate then a month to single crutch then cane then ???

AND this is the FIRST summer I don't have a cottage to worry about and I was planning some major riding.

I too have wondered about the 'too old to do this anymore' thing but nah I love riding too much, I'm just going to make sure that I ride my speed my way.

A lab took you out, that is kinda funny. I guess thats why I have Shih-tzu's. It would take a LOT of them in a very co-ordinated assault to do any major damage!lmao.gif

Well bed buddy, heal well, heal fully, don't let the bed bugs bite. But if they do grab your shoe and beat the S--t out of the little bastards. Believe me you will feel alot better after.

wave.gif

Week 9. Ouch.. I'm going nuts at week 3. Hang in there and work hard on the rehab.

- Scott

Sorry to hear this.

I must agree with David dopeslap.gifthat this situation just cries out for a tech day at your place. thumbsup.gif

Now isn't the time to decide which activities to participate in, give it some time.

Hang in there, this too will pass.

Bill_Walker
As for the "cripple's TechDaze in O'Side", I'd rather we invest that time in Bakersfield to help rebuild Cameron's bike. He's the guy who needs the help and encouragement. Besides, after 8 months and all the obstacles, it's almost a point of pride to get this thing done myself (if I don't lose the parts first). I'm going to rig an office chair and try to wheel myself around to try finish the job. I figure that either sitting or laying down, I can finish most of the work.

If you change your mind, PM or email me. I'm just down the road in Carmel Valley (for you non-SDers, it's a neighborhood of San Diego, not to be confused [much] with the town of the same name just east of Carmel, CA).

As for doing the same for Cameron, I think that's a great idea. Though maybe not in the summertime, at least for this coastal dweller (i.e., weather wimp)! Hmm, just checked the WX, only 90 in B'field today! But 98 later this week. Hot weather for wrenching, in my book.

Anyway, heal fast, and watch out for those friendly dogs!

AARGH! What a story! You seem to be taking it as well as possible - getting all upset wouldn't help you heal any faster.

Was the "young girl" the dog's owner? How did she handle the situation? I suppose one could argue that the dog's owner is responsible for your injuries, but the dog was just acting like Labs do.

Here's to a quick and full recovery.

Jay

AARGH! What a story! You seem to be taking it as well as possible - getting all upset wouldn't help you heal any faster.

Was the "young girl" the dog's owner? How did she handle the situation? I suppose one could argue that the dog's owner is responsible for your injuries, but the dog was just acting like Labs do.

Here's to a quick and full recovery.

Jay

I think the first guy that came up to me might have been with her (young, as in maybe age 12 or 14), maybe her dad and the dog's owner. The issue of liability crossed my mind, but it was an accident, the dog was friendly not dangerous (I have a Lab myself), I realized when he asked me if I'd twisted my ankle in a gopher hole that he might have been worried about liability, and I made a snap decision to forget about the cause. I'm not going to sue someone because of a friendly dog, no matter what it costs me. My wife said that they were gone before the EMT's showed up; I didn't much care as I had other things on my mind.

I looked up at my Lord in pain when it happened, asked Him to make it bearable (which it wasn't for the first 2 minutes; felt like I'd lost my leg), and after that trusted Him for the outcome (Romans 8:28 "God works all things for good"). Guess it was just my turn, there's a purpose in this, and my job is to get well and trust the Lord, one day at a time.

I think one's frame of mind makes a big difference during recovery, so I have determined to make something positive come from this situation.

Thanks.

If you change your mind, PM or email me. I'm just down the road in Carmel Valley (for you non-SDers, it's a neighborhood of San Diego, not to be confused [much] with the town of the same name just east of Carmel, CA).

As for doing the same for Cameron, I think that's a great idea. Though maybe not in the summertime, at least for this coastal dweller (i.e., weather wimp)! Hmm, just checked the WX, only 90 in B'field today! But 98 later this week. Hot weather for wrenching, in my book.

Anyway, heal fast, and watch out for those friendly dogs!

Thanks for the offer. I might take some help down the road on the valves. I didn't like the way the valve's sounded. The valve adjustment was my first time, but I've adjusted valves on a Honda before, and I "cheated" loose. The slapping noise (almost like low oil) would be caused by a midadjusted rocker arm, but I could barely fit a .02mm feeler guage between the rocker arm and lower rocker arm bearing carrier (gap's supposed to be .05mm and .30mm). Anyhow, I was going to readjust valves again after I finished the front end work. All of that is just preventive maintenance and not essential. The frustrating thing is that I had just pulled the front wheel and tank to go after the front shock, alt. belt, and HES, and that project is frozen in time with pieces all over my garage floor. I'll get after it again, maybe in another week or so.

As far as Cameron's situation, Patti (his wife) has been posting but we haven't heard from him yet. We'll have to find out what he wants to do when he's up to posting. He may want to junk the bike and get a new one. If he decides to keep it, I'm thinking that a group of us can meet out there to evaluate his bike, do some disassembly, make a list of parts required (i.e. from plastics to subframe, etc.), so that he can start hunting for used parts and begin procuring the new ones. I'm guessing it'll take two months to get everything together, and then we can have a couple of Cameron TechDaze to help him rebuild it, about the time he may be well enough to ride again.

I don't know Cameron personally, but he loaned me a clutch centering tool and even offered to ride down to Oceanside to help me out with assembling the clutch and tranny if I needed it. I know folks on this forum would be here if I asked, and I'd like to help out this guy in the same way.

Like I said, we have to hear from Cameron first, when he's had a chance to heal up a bit.

Francois_Dumas

Heck with it. I'll probably be riding again as soon as my legs out of the case and I can bend my foot. grin.gifgrin.gif

That's the spirit !! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.giftongue.gif

Great and terrible story all at once!

Best wishes on the recovery, the reassembly, and maintaining your sanity.

Wish I was closer...I'd be happy to attend a TechDaze for BOTH parties. (and with my "experience" on the RT-P models, I'm just the person to NOT torque *any* fasteners for you!

I think one's frame of mind makes a big difference during recovery...

Yes. As a physician, I can attest to the truth of this - I routinely see patients hamper or improve their recovery from accident or illness based solely upon his/her attitude. It's amazing what a difference this makes.

I predict that you will do just fine.

Jay

I knew it! Dogs are way more dangerous than motorbikes! While this hardly sounds like a ". . .minor leg injury . . ." you're attitude about it will serve you quite well. If you free your mind, your ass will follow! Good luck, get the RT-P squared away & ride it! grin.gif

harleyjohn45

i would like to commend you for the way you handled this. that said, i would not be so gracious. i am not a dog person. i don't dislike them, i just don't mess with them. i'm sure there is a leash law and a big dog should be on a leash. the fact the dog owners packed up the dog and left before the emergency crew arrived says volumes about the type of people they are. while you are in recovery, they are doing just fine. i'm afraid they would hear from my attorney. i find it strange that i'm the only one on this forum that thinks the dog should have been contained. my 2 c

Archived