IGNORED

Moto Guzzi Norge 1200

SteveHebert

SteveHebert

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this machine? It is very interesting and I am looking! eek.gifeek.gif

Laffo IBA#34115

I have sat on one and ridden behind one now for the last two weeks since my friend picked his up. It is one beautiful machine and he says it rides like it looks. He has offered that I ride it but am waiting until his break-in period is up and he has the first service completed. He says it is the motorcycle that he has been waiting for for over ten years and that it was worth the wait.

Hope this helps.

Steve,

Motorcycle Consumer News just did a review.

One item that stood out in my mind was the need to remove tupperware to check the oil dipstick. dopeslap.gif

No handle bar adjustment, but supposed to be good for 34" sleevers.

The pegs too close to seat for anything above 32" inseams.

Low speed handling slightly unsteady and topheavy. Better when speeed increases.

Mirrors blur at 80+ mph. Windscreen "too narrow to prevent turbulence from buffeting the sides of the rider's helmet, which interfere's with vision clarity and equilibrium to a noticeable degree at high speeds." Below 70 mph it is not as much of a problem.

Nimble handling. thumbsup.gif

However, the centerstand makes contact very early, worse in uphill turns. This is so bad they said that they'd remove it.

In the daylight, the LCD info display is often obscured by glare, OK at night.

Engine heat, OK in 60-80 degree weather, but could be bothersome above that.

Warranty 2 years.

Maintenance cost likely higher on the Guzzi with valve adjustments at 6250 compared with BMW valve adjustments 12K on the 1200.

Sparse dealer network and Piaggio group dismal track record for parts availability.

They say, "overall, a good machine with European panache and styling, along w/a very capable drivetrain."

ABS non linked.

HP 71.2

Torque 59.2

Standard maintenance $488.00 with 6.1 hours alloted to change oil/filter, adjust valves, adjust carbs, airfilter, final drive and plugs.

Seems as if you have to remove rear wheel to do this? final drive? It was listed in their chart.

Wet weight 616.5 lbs. Their (MCN) weights are accurate.

Hope this is helpful. wave.gif

Steve,

Motorcycle Consumer News just did a review.

One item that stood out in my mind was the need to remove tupperware to check the oil dipstick. dopeslap.gif

From the article in "Rider" Magazine, they said the tupperware removal to check the oil was being worked out/fixed as the article was being written. Time will tell. It is a sharp lookin' scoot! I'm leaning a little more towards the new "Griso" 1200, 8v.

John Bentall

As a machine, there are three areas where the Norge beats the R1200RT hands down - looks, charisma/soul and price. I think RT has the uppper hand in all other significant area. (I would think that the Norge and the 1150RT are more evenly matched).

Nobody on this board is going to trade from one bike to the other (go on, prove me wrong!) because they are so very different in character. You'll have to take a test ride!

Test rode the Grisso and Norge at the Prescott Guzzi rally. Liked the Norge much better than the Grisso. Good fairing, It was 49 degrees with thunderhead driven flurries, 3 setting heated grips, nice. Great exhaust note. Pleasant excelleration feel, good brakes. I liked the diplay, time and temp, gas-oil etc. Saddle bags seemed good. Glorious in Silver and almost better in red.

Service, screw and nut valves and the right height for comfortable work.

What's not to like? How long will it be made, who can tell? Do they make a model other than the California cruiser for more than one year?

Over all the Guzzi devotees are a rabidly dedicated to the mark bunch. Give good rally with enthusiasm. wave.gif

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this machine? It is very interesting and I am looking! eek.gifeek.gif

Steve, I have ridden the Guzzy Norge.. It is one fantastic looking motorcycle,, felt good while just sitting still on it..

Then I rode it.. I came away very un impressed with the bike.. Trans gearing was not linier & gears were poorly spaced,, there was also a lot of gear slop in the trans.. The large throttle bodies allowed for very poor low to moderate RPM modulation so that coupled with the sloppy trans gears made for a lot of lurching & on/off throttle action (not smooth at all in traffic).. The brakes felt fairly good but I didn’t get into ABS so can’t comment on that.. The power windshield was kind of strange as you have to take your hands of the bars to operate the power windshield.. For me the mirrors were not right (easily fixed though) .. Probably the most disappointing thing was the frame flex (or at least it felt like it anyhow).. Had a chance to get some open road so ran it up to about a hundred then did a couple of quick imaginary pot hole dodges,, the rear wheel felt out of phase with the front & the front/rear coupling felt kind of twitchy (not exactly dangerous but surly not confidence inspiring) ..

I was sort of looking to maybe buy the Norge until the test ride,, sure wasn’t the bike of my dreams.. In my estimation won’t even come in a distant second to the 07 1200RT..

I would suggest you ride one yourself as maybe your expectation of the Guzzy will be different than mine was..

Twisty

SteveHebert

Thanks for all of the very detailed replies. I will go take a look see one of these days and will keep in mind all of the comments. The article was very educational.

Archived