IGNORED

R1200ST Information Please

coach03860

I currently ride a 1200GS but am looking for something a bit "sportier" too. I rode the 800ST and loved it but really like the boxer engine. The 1200ST seems to be an option but they are rare as hen's teeth here in New England. Can anyone give me their opinions on this bike...esp as to handling and ergonomics. I have an artificial right knee so I can not take the full-on sport position that tucks my legs uptight for too long. Sooooo, any 1200ST riders out there???? thanks !!!

I did get a chance to ride an '05 R1200ST today with only 2400 miles on it down at Max BMW in North Hampton, NH (great folks!). I took it out for about 45 mins riding all sorts of roads and came back smiling ear to ear, lol! The position was fine with my good knee and they say we can get a low foot peg set-up for it which should help my other knee. I rode with both the stock seat up and down and both have their advantages. It sure handles better with the seat down but would likely be more comfortable for a long tour with it up. (it's 15 sec switch job) I rode it hard and long and did not feel much of a strain in my back/shoulders/arms from the forward leaning position (as compared to my GS). It took turns twice as well and with a lot more confidence than the GS ever could and when I looked down at the speedometer I realized I could get into a lot of trouble with the ST since it's so smooth at 70MPH+, lol ;-). I never found a dirt road down there but did take it off onto the soft sand shoulders and it seemed OK. This is important for me as I live on top of a small mountain and it's all dirt/sand roads to get home. I surely wouldn't run them at 40MPH like I do on the GS, but I'm sure it would make it home fine.

However, since my original post I have gotten the LOW SEAT for the 1200GS and after riding ~200 miles today with this low seat, the GS is much more manageable for my 30" legs and I find the bike handles a lot better being lower too...Nothing like the ST but better than the high up right feeling I have with the higher stock GS seat. When I got back home I quickly switched the seat back to the stock higher seat and rode to back to town (~5 miles) to get gas...and was hating life again. The high seat is now in a box in the attic, lol! I will need to order the lower foot pegs at touratech, but that's no big deal. Sooooooooo, I still do not know what I should do and the dichotomy is killing me since my better half says I can only have one bike. :-(

Any other 1200ST riders out there care to throw their 2 cents in too???? Thanks coach

I've had an 07 ST since April 9 and have just over 4800 miles on it so far. I've ridden interstates at 90 mph+ and intense mountain twisties from 15 mph switchbacks to higher speed mountain squiggles. Took it out on a track day and was most happy with it. Just returned from a 1400 mile trip through the Cascade Mountains in British Columbia and northern Washington (two up and I'm no lightweight). It has handled very well in heavy rain while climbing up a mountain and in 30 mph crosswinds in eastern Washington state (I work over there and have experienced the winds several times). I'm planning a trip to Alaska in July. I love this bike. The only downside of the ST, from my perspective, is I am not comfortable with it on true gravel roads. A thin gravel surface is no issue but this is not an off-road bike. I,too, looked at an 800ST but I am very glad I went with the 1200, it has incredible power and range. In the mountains, I can be running the twisties in 3rd gear and hit the throttle to pass a truck, and accellerate from 30 mph to 90 mph without shifting.

Hey Coach,

I bought my ST at Max's. He is a great asset to have in your backyard (or nearby anyhow).

From a comfort point of view, I find the ST cramps the legs up a bit compared to a GS or RT. It is really up to the individual to determine whether this is an issue. I am fine with just stretching my legs from time to time while on a long leg of a trip so I don't find it a problem. It can get a little cold compared to an RT but my Gerbings jacket lets me ride below freezing.

The longer wheelbase helps keep the front wheel down on those high power launches. People could argue that the slow speed maneuverability suffers some but I have no issue with it (don't care about the little time I spend in parking lots).

The bike handles the pavement beautifully and the power is intoxicating. I get 46 to 54mpg with it with a range of 240 to 280 miles (depending on how fast or aggressive the ride).

I have 12K on it and not a single issue. It can carry a decent set of luggage for the long ventures.

BTW, doesn’t Max have a used one with some nice red and white decorations glued to the thing??

Gary,

Nothing will handle the mixed road surface to your home like the GS.

If there is any chance that the weather will create road conditions unsuitable for the ST, think hard before going there.

The GS is an extremely versatile bike and very, very, very, good in the twisties IMO.

That said, the ST is my favorite boxer. I previoulsy owned RT's and an RSL (my all time fave).

If I were getting a boxer, it would be the ST.

I work part-time, after my other job, selling BMW's. In our area there are many dirt/sand/clay hardpacked roads.

Customers who live on those roads overwhelmingly choose the GS. I have had some buy the Roadster and put dual sport tires on them too.

Since I haven't seen your homestretch riding conditions personally, I can't tell you positively that the ST will work there. If it doesn't you'll be unhappy and pay a price ($$) for buying this knowledge.

What about other riding?

Do you go off road with the GS now?

Do you explore the woods and trails?

Are you using the GS in this way?

If so, keep it. Work on mastering the MYRP and I think you'll find that the GS is a blast in the twisties.

Nice problem to have. grin.gif

Best wishes. wave.gif

lurker.gif

Missouri Bob

I've had mine for about 16 months. No problems other than a slowly curing thirst for oil. (It now takes over 3K to go through a liter)

Like you, my knees bother me. On a recent 1200 mile trip, I rested my feet on the valve covers and the passenger pegs. Both positions help, but not completely. The seat, windshield and bars are all in the high position. I have 32" inseams.

I live on a gravel road. It's not a problem on the ST.

I don't think it has ever gotten less than 50 mpg, and a few tanks have been better than 60 mpg.

Bob

As has already been mentioned, if there's any possibility that you'll be riding on anything short of real pavement, the GS is the boxer you'd want. But that said, the ST is a very versatile street bike. It accommodates the same luggage as the RT if you're packing for long distance but take the bags off and you have a sport bike for the "real world" - relatively comfortable ergos, decent weather protection and handling/performance capabilities that you're unlikely to push over the limit unless you're doing some serious track riding or squidding.

Anyway, put me down as one thumbs up vote for the ST if you're looking for a street bike.

Here's a link to Motorcycle.com's ST review. Although the review was for the '05 model, there have been no significant changes except for the updated (non-servo) ABS brake option and the ESA option so the review should still be considered current.

On a side note, I've been a subscriber to motorcycle.com for a little over 3 years and have always highly recommended it. This week they have moved away from the paid subscription model to an ad-based model and they've opened up their content to non-subscribers. Very cool.

That's a very sound review. And speaking of sound, I think I want a Remus. wink.gif

I keep going back and forth about putting a Leo Vince CF pipe on mine. But I'm real glad I put Ohlins on. thumbsup.gif

First things first, I'd buy my R12ST over again without hesitation. Now to your questions. We have the same inseam and the stock seat in the high position works well for my leg comfort. I have no handling issues with the seat in the high position either. The seat itself isn't very good for long distances. I'm using a Airhawk for long days in the saddle. I'm 5'10' and the reach to the stock bars were a bit too much for longer rides. I have the MV handle bar kit installed with a now near perfect postion for my reach. http://www.mv-motorrad.de/cosmoshop/lshop,showdetail,30670,e,1152728156-31675,001.1115645110,901425,,Tshowrub--001.1115645110,.htm

The issue of oil consumption is not an issue for my ST as it uses very little.

If I could make the ST any better I would make these changes:

Move mirrors more forward so you don't look down as much to see them. Maybe mount them on the fairing like the R12S.

Add cruise control.

Improve the seat.

Make the LCD not loose contrast when heated by direct sunlight on hot days.

Let distance to empty be visable at all times not just when on 'reserve'.

Bigger tach.

Needs an available Corbin Smuggler Trunk or equal.

These are all minor things.

duckbubbles
If I could make the ST any better I would make these changes:

Move mirrors more forward so you don't look down as much to see them. Maybe mount them on the fairing like the R12S.

Add cruise control.

Improve the seat.

Make the LCD not loose contrast when heated by direct sunlight on hot days.

Let distance to empty be visable at all times not just when on 'reserve'.

Bigger tach.

Needs an available Corbin Smuggler Trunk or equal.

In 24,000 miles, I've gotten used to the mirrors, but my other two bikes have fairing mounted mirrors.

Cruise control would be a worthwhile addition. When I bought this bike, I wouldn't have gotten it, but like heated grips, once you've tried it, it's a good thing.

I had my seat recontoured and raised 1/2 inch by Sargent and I have no issues with it anymore.

Haven't had a problem with display contrast, yet.

No issue with the fuel indication, mine will run out within 10 miles of reaching zero on the countdown.

A bigger tach would look nicer, maybe, but I don't think it's necessary with it being right up top.

Bought a Cortech tail bag that's got plenty of room. I carry my bike cover when traveling. Keep the rainsuit in there for easy access.

Frank

clap.gif Thanks for all the feedback...you guys are great, and I really appreciated the referenced articles. I still have not made a final decision but I must by this Wednesday. However, what I have come to understand is that I REALLY NEED 2 BIKES Say an 800ST and keep my 1200GS...Keep dreamin' she says. lmao.gif Thanks again.

Archived