IGNORED

my dad needs help on the Alcan Road

Keith S

My Dad has an Abs fault with his, BMW 2003 RT. The ABS light is flashing, fluid levels are up, fuses are good, disconnected battery and reconnected - no difference. He needs advice ASAP as he is stranded on the Alcan road

Katie

There are really too many things to trouble shoot without some more symptoms or descriptions of what happened.

Off the top of my head, I would suspect a sensor got damaged from the poor roads. Worst case scenario is he travels the rest of the way without ABS. The brakes are still working properly right?

Katie,

Have him check for a broken wire to either the front or rear wheel sensor, ensure there is not a lot of mud covering the wheel sensor pulse wheels. Check for gravel in the rear brake pedal pivot area.

Do the servo motors run all the time? AT all?

Mick

My Dad has an Abs fault with his, BMW 2003 RT. The ABS light is flashing, fluid levels are up, fuses are good, disconnected battery and reconnected - no difference. He needs advice ASAP as he is stranded on the Alcan road

Katie

Katie, is JUST the ABS warning light flashing or is BOTH the ABS warning & general warning light flashing??

Assuming ONLY the ABS warning light flashing ---Did he say how fast it was flashing at (1 hz or 4 hz).. Makes a difference on what could possibly be wrong with the brakes..

At least with it (the ABS light) flashing he probably still has ABS function on one wheel so the bike could be ridden (carefully)..

More info here would really help us help you..

Have him do a couple of ignition switch turn off’s then re-starting after riding a few miles in between the switch off’s (sometimes that will help the system reset)..

Did he say what he was doing when the light came on (ie. inital start in the morning, just riding along, hit a big hole in the road, etc?)

Could be a wheel sensor problem..

Many things could be wrong but we need to know the light flashing rate to get close on a guess..

I will be away from the computer for the rest of the evening so hopefully someone else can follow up here..

Twisty

voltage on battery is 13.8 with engine running, not running is 13.08

ABS servos are not running, ever,

problem started when stopped for fuel, my Dad has been restarting and ABS light is flashing at about once every 1/2 second.

The frequency of the flash does not change when bike is

started.

I am talking to my Dad on the phone and he has no servos at anytime

Just got a call and everything is good. my Dad had a rock in the brake pedal and asked me to say, "THANK YOU" all for your help and to forgive his questions as he is a newbie smile.gif He also said to say it was 200kms to the nearest town!

Great news for your dad; he will be able to continue his trip without a big repair bill or interruption. Bmwmick came right up with the solution. Twisty & Bmwmick; you guys are alright!

1) What's the other pebble/rock problem? One hanging up in either the r/h or l/h of the bell crank on the throttle bodies?

2)And what are the symptoms? poor idling, poor performance, stalling? Which throttle body is more prone to the pebble/rock?

Katie,

Have him check for a broken wire to either the front or rear wheel sensor, ensure there is not a lot of mud covering the wheel sensor pulse wheels. Check for gravel in the rear brake pedal pivot area.

Do the servo motors run all the time? AT all?

Mick

This is Dad (Keith)

I can not tell you how much I appreciated all the help!!! I was 200 km east of Waston Lake. If you have been up there you know it is a very long distance between towns and nothing in between. I had to go those 200 km with no servo/power brakes. The large displacement of the RT made the difference in slowing down. The rock was jamed between the lever and frame, just as Mick suggested, THANKS MAN!!. I must admit I was a tad freaked out with the concept of traveling another 450 km the Whitehorse with 10% brakes. As it turns out the next day I had to do emergency braking (the servo was working) on that streatch of highway when a bear decided to run up on the road and say hi. Without your help the outcome could have been different.

Again, you folks are the greatest!!!

Keith

resting in Whitehorse

Now that is what I call long distance troubleshooting! Great job Mick! Here is a guy in the middle of nowhere'sville and you folks get him up and running again. Many of you continue to amaze me with your knowledge, willingness to help, and you do it amazingly quick. It is like we have a team standing by with information and assistance 24/7. Everybody, give yourself a hand!!

Archived