IGNORED

Servo assisted brakes

SinNH

Bill_Walker
For the RT 2002 was when it got the 1150... and 2002 also has servo assist.

Assuming you're talking in the U.S. I think the rest of the world got both a year earlier.

BTW, if you're looking at 1150RTs, the servo assist in US model year 2002 was widely considered overly abrupt, especially on the rear brake. '03 and later models (and possibly even late-year '02s, I don't recall for sure) had the system retuned.

'04s got the twin-spark head, said to reduce or eliminate the famously non-existent surging issue, add power, improve mileage, bring peace to the Middle East, etc. The only thing I can say for sure, since it's the only BMW I've owned, is that it requires you to buy twice as many spark plugs. grin.gif

Thanks for the info guys.

I am looking for a 1150 RT, and was hoping I could find one that has conventional braking. The last one I rode , an 04,has the servo and integrated system , nice machine for sure, but I like to apply what brake when and how much ,and in the few short hours I have ridden a bike with servo-assist ,I thought it lacked some feel.

Finding a 1150 RT with neither system is not going to happen I guess.

Steve

The R1150RT-P police model did not have back-to-front linking, but unless it's been highly modified (there are a few out there) all R1150RT's have servo assisted power brakes.
Bill_Walker
Thanks for the info guys.

I am looking for a 1150 RT, and was hoping I could find one that has conventional braking. The last one I rode , an 04,has the servo and integrated system , nice machine for sure, but I like to apply what brake when and how much ,and in the few short hours I have ridden a bike with servo-assist ,I thought it lacked some feel.

Steve

You do get accustomed to the servo system after a while. The later models do have some "priority" in application of the linkage, e.g., on my '04 I can drag the back brake at parking lot speeds without having the front brake throw me on the ground in turns. And when you need to stop RIGHT NOW, nothing beats it.

Archived