IGNORED

Low Fuel Level light out?

Nevets

This morning I was running very low on fuel, and expected to see the low fuel warning lamp illuminate. I could have sworn I've seen it before, but am staring to wonder if the bulb is out, or whatever. Short of nearly running out of petrol, is there a way to make the lamp illuminate to check it? Inquiring minds wish to know...

I am assuming that you have run it low enough that there are no bars left on the RID, right? Mine USUALLY all gone before my light comes on. You could try draining off some more gas out of the tank and see if it lights then. If not, maybe bad bulb or something in the wiring??? I'm no expert though grin.gif

Well it's not particularly easy, but if you disconnect the electrical connector going to the fuel tank and ground pin 4 (with the key on) a white wire, that should turn the lamp on. If it doesn't it could be the bulb itself; have to disassemble the dash to get to it to check it. Or there is a "electronic damper" in the circuit between the tank and the bulb that causes it to slowly come on and go off as the fuel level sinks. Rather than flash sporadically on/off. It could (but rarely) be the issue.

OTOH if when you short pin 4 to ground the bulb does go on, give it a couple of seconds for the damper to come up, then the problem is likely within the tank.

You haven't by any chance had your fuel filter replaced recently have you?

No, I have not (yet) changed my fuel filter.

I was also wondering if the light is should come on (momentarily) when the key is first switched on. If not, I like the pin 4 idea.

I was also wondering if the light is should come on (momentarily) when the key is first switched on.
It does not.

Archived