IGNORED

This could happen to you...

jakfrost

Out of Dallas after 12 days on the road, headed for KC for the night, stopped to buy fuel,etc. Before heading out again I decided to swap gear to reflect the lack of precipitation in Oaklahoma vs Texas...couldn't open the left saddlebag. No way no how was the tab going to pop up and allow me to unlatch the cover.

I got back on the bike before my frustration broke something...and thought about how I was going to access my shaving kit that evening. Hmmm.

Even called the dealer in Montreal to ask if he had any 'tips'. Other than pressing against the cover to relieve the pressure on the latch, he was no help.

Then I spotted an Auto Zone and stopped in to ask it they had any WD40 open behind the counter...yup he did. I borrowed it and removed the offending saddlebag and sprayed the latch mechanisim behind and on top...

Bingo, the case latch now popped up like new. Bought a small can of the WD stuff and carried on for another 7 days, worry free.

I guess the sun/rain/sun/heat/heat/heat cycles caused the plastic to develop a resistance to movement, plastic on plastic...

Be warned, those latches can and will 'stick' one day.

Jim W.

I have found that pressing slightly down on the latch itself while pushing the lock down works better than pressing in on the side case cover.

I have found that pressing slightly down on the latch itself while pushing the lock down works better than pressing in on the side case cover.

+1 thumbsup.gif, I have to do the same thing for the right cover.

I agree...and have been doing that since I got the bike 2 years ago. Just standard pratice. But when even that effort sprinkled with a few choice words failed to disloge the pop up lever, I wasn't sure what it was going to require to get it open.

Lucky for me the solvent worked, cause I'm not sure how you would get to the 'inner workings' to release the latch otherwise...

I didn't want to resort to a metal type lever to 'break' it loose. Long way from home to have to rely on a couple of big elastic bands to keep the saddlebag closed dopeslap.gif

Jim

I have also found that when the mechanism seems stuck like this it often helps to turn the key just a few degrees off from the OPEN position and then push down on the latch.

Survived-til-now

I believe BMW Motorrad scan this website so perhaps they will learn and improve the mechanism...

Thanks for the post, I'll add "try WD40" to the ever growing list of things to remember" when these glitches come up. Very soon going to have to carry a laptop on the bike to store all these tips... crazy.gif

and they haven't fixed the air temperature gauge on my 05 bike......

and I am just feeling grumpy this morning.... grin.gif

happy riding

Andy

I have also found that when the mechanism seems stuck like this it often helps to turn the key just a few degrees off from the OPEN position and then push down on the latch.

Hmmm...since the 'key' portion of the latch was going into its 'hole' when pushed, I assume it was doing its job,i.e. going down to 'activate' the bits that were supposed to 'activate' the pop up latch. Not sure how turning it a few degrees off the normal spot would help but anything could help when faced with a 'on and locked' saddlebag.

It did feel quite 'springy', like it was acting on something that wouldn't give...when I pushed down on the lock cylinder to release the latch.

But the WD40 worked, so I was happy, and able to brush my teeth once again grin.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gif.

Jim

I believe BMW Motorrad scan this website so perhaps they will learn and improve the mechanism...

lmao.giflmao.gif

Oh, wait... You were SERIOUS?

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

(I am not a BMW NA basher, but this is funny considering their track record on issues like surging.)

GoGo Gadget
I haven't had my latch stick, but my left side case seems to develop a vacuum which makes it difficult to open.

Ok, not just me then. My high side bag is doing it. I am in the middle of a cross country trip, and at first thought it might be changes in air pressure. But I think it is just the rubber seals sticking. RV stores sell a product for rubber seals used in RV's. I might try some of that.

I have a 06RT, the bags did the same thing. The dealer said they never had that happen before they played with it lubed it up and now it works.I do get the vacum problem, no rim or reason when it happens. I mean I live by the shor, high altitude here is 150Ft above sea level.It still happens. Maybe there just good tight bags. cool.gif

Archived