IGNORED

Opinion Question... Why so Few K-Bikes Here?

hopz

I know that most people here are on RT's of one vintage or another, but this forum IS labeled Sport Touring forum.

I am still a sort-of newbie to this world, so I will ask it straight out... Why are there so few K-bike people here? I know there are some and I see great contributions from them, but there must be many more.

Are the other K-bike riders over at another forum, or is this really an RT forum with a funny a malapropism name?

And further, is there something about the K bikes that suggest they are not "really" sport tourers?

Or what? dopeslap.gif

This board started as a place specifically for RTs, the Sport Touring name came later to recognize that many of the members now had different bikes.

The K-bike owners are split over several other forums. I wish more of them were here. Even though it's still fairly RT-centric, I think this is a great site for all BMW owners who are interested in touring or sport touring. The wealth of knowledge in the "Bike Related Things" forum is what got me here.

Dave

DaveTheAffable
<snip> ...Why are there so few K-bike people here? I know there are some and I see great contributions from them, but there must be many more. <snip>

I'm here! 2 K-Bikes, K75RT and K1200RS.

There are other forums with a lot of K-Bikers... and I try to visit them too.

There are a lot of fine people here... some don't even have BMW's currently, and everyone has been helping me learn to be a better rider and more...

Affable wave.gif

They're not really a true BMW. Oh, sure it's got the name stamped on it and all but could it really power an airplane?

I don't think so. tongue.gif

Lone_RT_rider
I am here grin.gif

K bikes rule (I just got mine thumbsup.gif )

Yeah, thats your "bike of the week"... Wait until next week when it worries you somehow. I still get letters from a certain R1100S stating "but he said he loved me!"....

Love'm and leave'm Foerster.... bncry.gif

Shawn

I started on RT's but soon succumbed to the calling of the dark side. I am now learning how to ride a K12S.

Cheers!

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

All ya gotta do is read my name.. that would be my machine in the avatar. tongue.gif.. I love that bike.. the only thing is.... it LOVES to speed! Not me though... no sireee.. lmao.gif Nice and slow.. that would be me.. ummmm..150 is slow isn't it? lurker.gif I know that BeniciaRT_GT rides faster than me.. so it HAS to be slow.

Never sell mine, they just don't have all them problems people keep talkn' bout, 'ceptn' , maybe for splines 'n oil/water pumps n' stuff. . .

JerryMather

If I need to chat with any K bikers about something that's going on with mine. I usually go over here instead of this board. wink.gif

I stay over here mostly to stay in touch with the folks I've met over the years. thumbsup.gif

....I am still a sort-of newbie to this world, so I will ask it straight out... Why are there so few K-bike people here?

Well, I read through all the replies and I'm surprised no one proffered this explanation: It's simple, there are more boys here than men. cool.gif

John_Hendriksen

That’s a very complicated question.

It really has to do with one thing – insecurity. But not, perhaps, as you might think. You see, almost everyone here (BMWST, that is) has either owned or now owns a boxer. Those that still own this throw-back technology often mask and make up for the fact through loud and loquacious behavior. (Remembering of course, that this is the internet, with all of its perceived anonymity) This bearing with all of its jocularity, its willful friendliness, and quite obviously, nostalgic nature is just a thin veneer, easily pierced by the astute K bike owner. The almost sociopathic demeanor is only a bluff, a façade and a manner of self delusion as referenced by their characterization of those who have heard a higher calling as “going to the Dark Side” Interestingly enough, studies have shown that this attitude and behavior is shared by no other than Harley Davidson owners – a fact that causes Boxerites a tremendous degree of duress.

Personally, I find the phrase “Dark Side” to be rather endearing.

K bike owners, on the hand, have no need for this pretense as their higher intelligence level will not allow this somewhat unseemly strutting, swollen-headed countenance. By the way, this confidence is not limited to K bike owners. Owners of other technologically inspired designs, Ducati, Aprilia, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, Piaggo, Vespa, Buell, to name a few, also display a level of assurance that’s in direct contrast to the Boxerite.

In addition, the rather sorry record of break downs, the constant need for new (and I love this term, it’s so quaint) “farkles” to try –in vain, I might add – to improve this old design, the never ending quest for the perfect seat or windshield, post after post trying to understand valve adjustments or proper tire pressure has a tendency to drown out the more freewheeling and happy posts of the K bike rider. Unhappiness, as a shared experience is often stronger than the opposite.

Lastly, is there something about the K bike that suggests that it is not a sport-tourer? Of course not, nothing at all.

Hope this helps.

grin.gifgrin.gif

Why? Because BMW sells a lot more R's. Maybe there's something about motorcycles with radiators, fans, waterpumps and antifreeze that's just not right somehow ... ? wink.gif But to each his own. Ride on!

Because K bike owners live with their parents and have limited access to the computer.

wink.gif

They're not really a true BMW. Oh, sure it's got the name stamped on it and all but could it really power an airplane?

I don't think so. tongue.gif

Awwww....Roadster, and here I thought you were a nice guy!

wrestleantares
Why? Because BMW sells a lot more R's. Maybe there's something about motorcycles with radiators, fans, waterpumps and antifreeze that's just not right somehow ... ? wink.gif But to each his own. Ride on!

Funny Harley keeps thinking the same thing.

beemer_me_up

R-Bikes are for ever. Soon the brick will be gone for good. I'll bet in 20 years this latest version of the k-bike will also be cast upon the heap of use-to-be's. long live the R-Bikes clap.gif

AdventurePoser

I used to have one, a shiny red K1200RS. One night, there was a mysterious knock at the door, and a muffled voice from the other side murmured "We don't allow yer kind here," as a BMWsporttouring card was thrust into my hand.

I was so scared, I went out and bought myself an RT just so I could stay here...

True story. grin.gif

Steve in 'So Cali

I came real close to buying a K. Then I found Nubb, went for a ride. It clunked, it put me in the envelope, I was sitting up, and the price was to good to pass up.

I'm to old now to be leaning forward in the weather. Besides, the price was right. Oh, I said that already. K's are sweet but there's just something about clunking and pistons swinging back and forth. Did I mention the price was right?

ISYHTRAH

Because K bike owners live with their parents and have limited access to the computer.

wink.gif

Not true, Mom lets me use the computer anytime I want.....just as long as she's in the room!

We have one! A speedy 2006, K-1200-S, yellow, black, & silver. Man is that a fun bike! We share that one. It's equipped with a Navigator III, saddlebags, ESA, heated grips, on board computer, & ABS. Carrie looks frickin' hot on it! Before I bought the GS, I test rode a K-1200-RS; it was a pretty close call between the two of them, the GS won out by a mere fraction. I'll have 70,000 miles on the GS before I need to get fuel again.

Archived