IGNORED

I sat on a Duc

iBMUR

I not only sat on a Duc, I test rode one too last weekend. It was Ducati's version of sport touring- ST3. While it was fun to ride and visually interesting, I am still leaning towards purchasing an RT.

My shoulder and wrist took on a lot of the stress from riding the ST3. I am not sure that after working all week I want to trade down to more pain on the weekend.dopeslap.gif

JerryMather

Completely different bikes IMO. The Ducati is turely a Sport Touring bike that's great in the Cyn's while the RT is more of a Touring bike that is very good in the Cyn's but geared towards comfort for the open road.

Both are very nice bikes but I think that the ST3 or ST4's were made for us that already have had sportbikes and are looking for something to take road trips on. Hense, the seating position isn't a problem for us because we've already but a ton of miles on a race type bike anyway.

I not only sat on a Duc, I test rode one too last weekend. ............

My shoulder and wrist took on a lot of the stress from riding the ST3. I am not sure that after working all week I want to trade down to more pain on the weekend.dopeslap.gif

It may have to do with your seating position.

If so this will help.

On the highway, the wind will help to support your upper body. At lower speeds on the backroads and around town, you will have to get used to carrying more weight on your hands. The ST3 riding position will take some getting used to if you haven't ridden a sport touring bike before.

The ST3 and R1200RT are very different bikes. The ST3 is more comparable to the R1200ST, Triumph Sprint ST, or Honda VFR. It's a sport bike that's not bad for taking weekend trips on. The RT is a touring bike that's not bad for taking twisty roads on.

Dave

Bill_Walker

I used to have an ST4 (predecessor of the ST3, very similar). As I posted under another topic, it comes with a little devil that rides on your shoulder. In the twisties, he whispers in your ear, "C'mon, that was easy! You can take that corner faster than that! Wick it up for the next one, you'll see!". On long straight roads, he stabs you in the neck with his pitchfork.

I used to have an ST4 (predecessor of the ST3, very similar). As I posted under another topic, it comes with a little devil that rides on your shoulder. In the twisties, he whispers in your ear, "C'mon, that was easy! You can take that corner faster than that! Wick it up for the next one, you'll see!". On long straight roads, he stabs you in the neck with his pitchfork.

Well said. I am probably better suited for the straight roads and zen like feel that you can get from riding. thumbsup.gif

I consider myself very lucky I have an 06 R1200RT and an 04 ST4s. I have a hard time comparing these two as touring motorcycles. I love the Duc. in small doses but if spending more than an hour in the seat give me the BMW. Of course I am an older guy so the seating position of the Duc may not bother a younger rider as much.

I consider myself very lucky I have an 06 R1200RT and an 04 ST4s. I have a hard time comparing these two as touring motorcycles. I love the Duc. in small doses but if spending more than an hour in the seat give me the BMW. Of course I am an older guy so the seating position of the Duc may not bother a younger rider as much.

The seat position and comfort of the ST3 seems to be a recurring theme. If I have to study and practice on how to sit on a Duc, then it's probably not for me. dopeslap.gif

The seat position and comfort of the ST3 seems to be a recurring theme. If I have to study and practice on how to sit on a Duc, then it's probably not for me.

I understand what you are saying, but don't dismiss the positive attributes of the Duc too quickly - it has a HUGE grin factor! grin.gif

Well I will be 60 later this year and if I only ever rode solo I would have kept the ST4s. There was no way 'she' was going to spend any amount of time perched on the back of the Duc. And if I could afford 2 or more bikes a Duc (1098 grin.gif) would definitly be on the short list.

The 12RT is the best 'compromise' bike I have ever owned, and I have owned a few tongue.gif

Jim

go and look at a multistrada. I bought one last year and barely ride the rt any more. Put 2700 miles on in a week and it was great. 450 lbs 90 horspower and it wants to run and corners like a superbike.

Archived