IGNORED

Autocom Super pro avi kit 300 and Kenwood freetalk, signal chatter and cut out.

KDeline

On the road and my older Autocom dies. Bought the super, got everything to work, GPS, MP3, but when I turn on the Kenwood I get a carrier wave chatter when I speak, then no sound for about 10 seconds from everything, then the whole thing again, when I speak again. Tried wifes Kenwood same thing. Put our Kenwoods on her older unit like I had, all works fine. Tried a different new super avi, same thing. Changed out all cables, pluged and unplugged, and the only thing that is making sense is that the Freetalk is not compatable with the new system, but I'm sure that is not it. We have a week left on the road, would like to get this sorted out. Any ideas?

Is the radio being powered off of the bike? If it is..what happens when the radio is running off of it's battery instead?

Freetalk should work fine. Im using a couple of Kenwood 3101's and they work fine. Mine was a little confusing at first could not get them to transmit I had to remove the gound loop isolator that i was using and just plugged my zumo in to the riders lead and the radio in the grey radio plug. After doing this everything worked fine. now with the Super Pro you audio will adjust down when you speak you may have to tweek your settings on this. just remember everytime you speak the rest of your audio(music) will go down or off for 10secs.

Raidio is powered through the Autocom. I understand about the 10 second or less volume lowering, this thing just plain cuts out, green LED flutters with the audio chatter then does not light for 10 seconds or so, same with the red transmit light on the Kenwood, then comes back on when I speak for a second or so, then the whole process over again. Kind of like an overload, then a reset. All works fine with the autocom till I put the Kenwood in the loop, but as I said, have tried 2 Kenwoods, same thing. This is going to be a tuff one I think.

what port are you plugging in you other stuff like music? problem i had was i was not plugging the other into the riders port but had it in the first aux port drove me nut for a while when i plugged into the riders port all the problems went away and the radio would transmit.

Try moving the Kenwood away from your peripherals. In some situations, the EMF from the radio can interfere with your accessories and cause a temporary shut down.

I have the Autocom and the Kenwood right beside each other, all banded together, in the tank bag, will try separating them. Problem is if that works then were to put it??? dopeslap.gif

I have the Autocom and the Kenwood right beside each other, all banded together, in the tank bag, will try separating them. Problem is if that works then were to put it??? dopeslap.gif

Or, perhaps, how to shield the Autocom so that the distance between the two becomes moot.

grizzly660fan

I am with DT20 on this. try unplugging everything but your walkie talkies, does it transmit? if yes, add another device , does it transmit, and another device, and so on.

if it stops transmitting as you add a device you are going to start figuring out what the problem is. I had this problem and it was in my case I had things plugged into the wrong ports on the autocom, once sorted, problem went away.

what port are you plugging in you other stuff like music? problem i had was i was not plugging the other into the riders port but had it in the first aux port drove me nut for a while when i plugged into the riders port all the problems went away and the radio would transmit.

Well I'm home and never got the thing to work. And yes it will not work with nothing else hooked up also. Just the Autocom, Kenwood, and my helmut, will not transmet, receive, and get a chatter/crackling noise when I get any at all. This is nuts as I have changed out everything. I am wondering if the older Kenwood cord that goes into the new Autocom is at falt, or the older Kenwoods. (2 years) I am going to try the radios by themselves and see if they work. Stay tuned, I really don't want to get a diffrent brand, this has worked so well in the past. Anybody know if they repair the older Autocoms and were to send it to, I would rather get the older one fixed.

Well I'm home and never got the thing to work. And yes it will not work with nothing else hooked up also. Just the Autocom, Kenwood, and my helmut, will not transmet, receive, and get a chatter/crackling noise when I get any at all. This is nuts as I have changed out everything. I am wondering if the older Kenwood cord that goes into the new Autocom is at falt, or the older Kenwoods. (2 years) I am going to try the radios by themselves and see if they work. Stay tuned, I really don't want to get a diffrent brand, this has worked so well in the past. Anybody know if they repair the older Autocoms and were to send it to, I would rather get the older one fixed.

Several things are possible. Perhaps the B2B cable, over years of use, has failed. Perhaps the B2B cable got unplugged at the PC board. Perhaps the plug on the Kenwood went bad, or something else on the radio. The reasonable possibilities are quite varied.

As for repair of older Autocoms, Autocom USA can take care of it. 888-851-4327. Ask for Scott. He's the senior tech.

Several things are possible. Perhaps the B2B cable, over years of use, has failed. Perhaps the B2B cable got unplugged at the PC board. Perhaps the plug on the Kenwood went bad, or something else on the radio. The reasonable possibilities are quite varied.

As for repair of older Autocoms, Autocom USA can take care of it. 888-851-4327. Ask for Scott. He's the senior tech.

I would agree but everything has been changed out. This would mean I have 2 bad Kenwoods or 2 bad B2B cables, but all works on the wifes older Autocom. Still playing around with it at this point.

O.K. sitting at the table, here is what happens. Both Kenwoods on there own work perfect, red transmit light and green receive light work. Autocom pluged into power, red power LED on, green VOX LED is off, when I blow into the mic it glows bright. Plug in the Kenwood with the battery replacment cable, part 102P and the VOX LED glows faintly, (is that normal?) then glows bright when I talk, but the red transmit light on the Kenwood lights for a second and goes out, not trasmitting either. Nothing else is plugged into the Autocom, and this happens with two Kenwoods and 2 cable adaptors. This also happened with another Autocom that the dealor let me try the other day. The part 102p is the version I bought 2 years ago, has it changed for the new units? I don't know what else to try. This is why I question if they are compatable?????? frown.gif

Coming into this late in the game, and without reading all of the above, I'm wondering if the cable that plugs into the kenwood is the correct cable. I'm talking about the molded plug with the Mic and Speaker jack.

I had a problem with my Kenwood 3101 - it would work if I held a lot of pressure on the jack, but would not work otherwise. It turned out that I had the wrong cable plugged into the 3101. The cable was made for Cobra radios, and the style of the jack (pins) were slightly different.

I would contact kenwood to see if the jacks are the same on your radio and the 3101. I would bet they are the same.

If you need me to, I can take a picture of the 2 pin jack on the cable of my autocom that plugs into my kenwood and you can compare it to yours. Just send me a PM if you need a pic.

O.K. sitting at the table, here is what happens. Both Kenwoods on there own work perfect, red transmit light and green receive light work. Autocom pluged into power, red power LED on, green VOX LED is off, when I blow into the mic it glows bright. Plug in the Kenwood with the battery replacment cable, part 102P and the VOX LED glows faintly, (is that normal?) then glows bright when I talk, but the red transmit light on the Kenwood lights for a second and goes out, not trasmitting either. Nothing else is plugged into the Autocom, and this happens with two Kenwoods and 2 cable adaptors. This also happened with another Autocom that the dealor let me try the other day. The part 102p is the version I bought 2 years ago, has it changed for the new units? I don't know what else to try. This is why I question if they are compatable?????? frown.gif

AFAIK, Part 102P is the same. No changes.

If the cables and the Kenwood work on your wife's Autocom, then they would both appear to be good. If the 102P works on your wife's Autocom, it is good. If the same thing happens using a second Autocom, then your Autocom is likely not at fault. You're correct in that this is perplexing. Perhaps there is something new in the latest 102P. Based on what you're saying, it would appear that's the part that everything is pointing to.

You'll know in the morning. Give Autocom a call. You might even ask their technician to take a look at this thread so he can soak up what's been discussed and then call him back to see if he has an answer. They do monitor this website.

I will do that, funny thing is this unit is way more then I really need or want, I hope they can just fix my older unit.

Well I stumped Autocom USA, so now I sent everything off to be tested. They have never had this problem. Terrific.

Please keep us posted. I keep coming back to this thread expecting to find that it's some dorky or simple thing that we've all missed.

Oh I will. They did confirm that the chatter I get is a common problem with the newer units because of how close the Kenwood is to the unit. Mr. EffBee figured this out, I just could not get it far enough away with the short cord. This in itself is bad as I carry everthing in the tank bag, banded together. When they solve the cut out, no transmission problem, and if they can fix my Pro-7 (which never had that problem) this unit is going on Ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I solved one problem, that is the Kenwood not transmitting or cutting out after the first second of transmitting. It seemed to me that the Kenwood was not getting the power it needed to transmit from the 102 cable that attaches to the AVI. All my bikes have older batterys except the GSA and I was confusing one problem with two separate problems. Apparently the AVI needs a stronger current to trigger the Kenwood compaired to the Pro-7 as it worked on all the bikes I used. I attached the AVI to a new battery and the Kenwood stayed open when I talked. Great. Sadly I still cannot get rid of the chatter in the Kenwood no matter how far apart I move them, with the cable attached of course, or how much I try to sheild them from each other. Like I said all this needs to go into a tank bag, and that is not working. On the plus side I found a used pro-7 and got it up and running again.

So my question to Autocom is, I am not getting the "Any bike, any speed, guaranteed" at this point, do I get my money back? Nope. Unit works fine, chatter seems to be a normal demon of these newer units. They say I need to find a way to sheild it. Did not say that in the ad or instructions. Disappointing. I will talk to them at the MOA rally, see what they say with a crowd standing around.

i know this might be a dumb question but you dont happen to have a cell phone turned on in the same area. I dont get any chatter when i have my kenwoods near the unit i even can put them in the glove box with the autocom and nothing but as soon as I have the cell phone on or near the bike i get the cross talk signal from that really bad. just a thought.

Archived