IGNORED

Tonto National Monument

azkaisr

I decided to get up early yesterday to get some pictures in the Superstition Mountains to the East of town and then take the GS up to Young AZ.

161171142-L.jpg

Now my cat Jesus Perez gets a lot of press time in my rides...but most people don't know about his brother Liam...Liam has a great trait. He knows when I want to get up and makes sure I don't slip up and sleep in.

161171424-L.jpg

Normally my response to being woken up early on a Saturday is to throttle the little weasel. Just kidding I was just making sure his collar was still attached.

161178677-L.jpg

After getting some coffee for my thermos, I headed out to the Apache Trail. I am trying to work my dirt skills as much as possible and the route today would include about 100 miles of dirt. This picture was taken about 0600 and the temp was a nice 80 degrees.

I didn't stop on the trail this morning to take any pictures. This ride as really about getting some good practice in riding the GS off pavement and building on some of the skills I have been taught.

At the end of the trail I was seriously contemplating selling the GS and getting a smaller bike and a Jeep. I was still not feeling confident in my riding enough to go faster then 2nd gear. Now these roads are not tough. Heck Boney would consider them paved. Killer would drive a moped down them. But to me, I was trying to over control. Rather then quit and go home, I decided to head up to Young and see if more practice would help.

161178803-L.jpg

As I was motoring towards the Young turnoff, I saw the sign for the Tonto Monument. I still hadn't drank my coffee and decided to turn in and take a picture from the parking lot and then head on out. I arrived at 0750 and the park opened at 8. They let me in early and I had the place almost to myself. It was now about 90 degrees out.

161178988-L.jpg

Low tech food processor. I bet Alton Brown uses one when out on the road.

161172585-L.jpg

The light hitting the local trees

161173206-L.jpg

Prickly Pear Fruits are edible and make for good jelly

161173336-L.jpg

Nice to see them put the flag up

161179826-L.jpg

The ruins lie about 350ft above the parking lot

I was going to just take off and head to Young, but the ranger informed me that the hike up, while steep, was really spectacular and you could get into the ruins. So I changed into my hiking sandals and grabbed some water and up I went.

161180663-L.jpg

The rules

161174053-L.jpg

The Saguaros are now in full bloom.

161174639-L.jpg

The trail while paved was actually really steep which made for more issues coming down then going up. Did I mention that it was now about 95 degrees out?

161176121-L.jpg

You can really see how the Jumping Cholla gets it name in this picture. The small plant in the foreground started out as an arm.

161181997-L.jpg About half way up you come upon a saguaro skeleton showing the inside of these giants. The locals used them to make structures. It was about 100 now and I was getting tired.

161182115-L.jpg

But I was also too close not to go on up!

161182405-L.jpg

I wondered what it would have been like to have lived in this place back then. I mean it had to have been a really tough life.

161176918-L.jpg

The geometry and workmanship of the original structures is on par with the work done in the 1930's when they built the trail and retaining walls.

161294594-L.jpg

This was not some small time share.

161177049-L.jpg

I wonder if the guy with the most maize got the room with this view?

161182896-L.jpg

The minute I see a twisty road, I just want to ride. So off the mountain I went.

161294593-L.jpg

At the visitor center I managed to get a picture of me.

From here I road up the 50 miles to Young Arizona. If you have not been there, I would suggest you take the time to go. For some reason I did not take any pictures which just means I have to go back and do it again.

One of the main reasons was that I really started to take to the bike. For some reason standing up more in the dirt along with understanding the physics of the ride really got me into an area where I felt like I was in control more. The last 10 miles up to the highway North of Young were FUN. And the road was the worst I had ridden since Cottonwood Canyon in Utah. Standing up and letting the bike dance under me now makes sense. I road the last clip at about 40mph in 3rd gear. Still need to work on adjusting the handlebars some but I am not looking for a jeep either.

161169620-L.jpg

Think I may go up again next Saturday and take a few pictures there for a tale. There were also a few roads that could use some exploring as well.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

ericfoerster

Nice tale. I sure wished I lived a little closer as that is just the kind of exploring I like to do. Camera in one hand and a throttle in the other...ah, a perfect weekend thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash
Nice tale. I sure wished I lived a little closer as that is just the kind of exploring I like to do. Camera in one hand and a throttle in the other...ah, a perfect weekend thumbsup.gif

Wait until October or November. You should have your next new bike by then. grin.gif

At the end of the trail I was seriously contemplating selling the GS and getting a smaller bike and a Jeep....

Well if you get a Jeep, let me know.....this one just sits covered on the side of the house.

142_0802.jpg

I just got back from my own solo ride. I don't know what it is but I'm beginning to really enjoy riding by my self.

You might be questioning your skills but you definitely know how to use that camera. thumbsup.gif

Great pictures Tom, hope to see you soon.

Tom, another nice ride report. I thought about you today as I did some dirt riding up on the Rim. I did Control Road from Pine to Kohls Ranch, old 188 from Gisela to Jake's Corner, and the Apache Trail from Lake Roosevelt to Tortilla Flat. About 50 miles of dirt altogether. We need to get together and do some exploring.

Most excellent!!! But where is a picture of the pants. You can't do a ride tail in the dirt and not show off those yellow pants. dopeslap.gif

Later thumbsup.gif

Most excellent!!! But where is a picture of the pants. You can't do a ride tail in the dirt and not show off those yellow pants. dopeslap.gif

Later thumbsup.gif

Saturday baby may be a Yellow Pants day. It is supposed to be wicked hot here when we go riding and the black mesh will not cut it.

Kaisr

ericfoerster

Wait until October or November. You should have your next new bike by then.

Hmmm, something tells me I am not the only with a new scooter tongue.gif

Go ahead, out with the news Howard thumbsup.gif

Archived