IGNORED

New BMW's

Wyn

Do any of you who own new R1200RT's or K1200's not care to much for the style before you bought them?

I'm just curious. I think the R1100RT and 1150 are pieces of art work. For some reason the newer bikes are kind of, well, to busy? For example my wife wanted a Pontiac Solstice. So we looked at the Solstice and the Saturn Sky. The new BMW's are like the Sky kinda busy, kinda cut up. The Solstice flows as do the older bikes.

Just personal preference, I guess. I'm sure if I owned an 07 I wouldn't care what it looked like.

Just wondering about others opinions.

ISYHTRAH

My attitude has always been function first.

If I wanted a work of art for a motorcycle, it probably would not be a BMW.

Besides, I'm riding the bike. All I see is the cockpit area!

Yes, I think my 1100 is better looking than the 1200.....No, I think the 1200 is better. Oh wait a minute....no the 11. Now the GS that's a beautiful bike but that Multistrada, now that's sexy. No wait a minute I thought the GS was ugly like a duck yesterday. Hmmm, I'm not sure I've ever seen a bike I didn't like. Even when I think they're ugly I think their beautiful. I'm such a bike slut!!!! lmao.gif

I have to say when they first came out the looked "strange" to my eye. They sure look better in person. And owners think they look great! There is no doubt they are a better ride in every way than my 97 RT.

But I don't dare test ride one because ......... grin.gif

My '04 RT was much better looking than my hexhead. I still don't really care for the looks, BMW has missed the mark on styling since they screwed up the 7 series cars back in '03. But I can't tell what it looks like when I ride it and performance wise its much better that my '04 RT. Guess I can live with its looks crazy.gif

I owned an 04 RT for a year and saw an 05 advertised locally by a private party. Friends were talking about all the changes and how good mechanically the new hexhead was vs. the earlier models. One 20-30 minute test ride and the owner and me were heading to the bank and I put my new 05 on a trailer and brought it home. 18 months later I love this bike. I was not real thrilled with the styling initially but the looks grow on you and my wife says is looks sportier than the 04. I even had a few friends that said I did not look right on the 04. They now say I look right on the R12RT. Maybe it is the color. It one fun bike to ride and so far I am enjoying the hell out of it.

I agree, I like the older ones looks better, but for me, real cruise control was a must. I realize that it can be added to the older bikes, but at some point you just say that all the new features add up to make the sale. I find the current model funny and disjointed looking. The look from the front is the worst. The front wheel cover looks like a beak, the oil cooler seems out of place, and the headlight assembly is just strange... but the ride, the ride makes up for all. Incidentally, I do like the look from the back.

I almost bought a red '99 a couple of years ago. I thought it looked great.

I agree that the 1200's looks do grow on you. I think it is a very sharp bike. But the heck with the looks. Like others have said, "you can't see it when your riding it" My dad always told me when buying a car to forget about the color. You can't see it when you drive it anyway. Same thought and philosophy. Besides, it's not the bike that's cool.......It's me riding it!! thumbsup.gif

I too think my 1150 looked better than my 1200. The Germans are great engineers but maybe they should hire an Italian to head the styling section???

Ian

I too think my 1150 looked better than my 1200. The Germans are great engineers but maybe they should hire an Italian to head the styling section???

Ian

Would that be a Bucati? lmao.giflmao.gif

I just came from a Kawasaki Concours and their look was very dated, so when I looked at the new BMW K1200GT I think I was ready for a fresh look because I liked it. I normally don't like new car styles until I get used to them.

Ian

I dunno, you think the Japanese designers they're useing now will mind?

ISYHTRAH

Ian

I dunno, you think the Japanese designers they're useing now will mind?

ISYHTRAH

Oooooooh!!! That one smarts! grin.gif

I've had a 1100 RT, a 1150 RT and now the 1200 RT... in my opinion, I like the 1200 RT styling the best... the older RT's were good compared to the competition's styling, but I look at pictures of my old bike(s) and my new one and like the newer one better... doesn't hurt that the bike is superior functionally to the older one RTs in every way, either.

And my co-workers have commented on the new bike as well, they like the styling better than the old one... and I get more compliments it seems with the newer RT than the older one(s).

I'm glad someone asked this, I have been wanting to for a while. I had the 1100rt, and now the 1150rt, and when the 1200's came out, I thought there would have to be some way that I could keep my 1150 going till I was to old to ride, cause that 1200 looked too wierd. Then I test rode one, not a good idea. There is no doubt I like the way the 1200 performs over the 1150, and now they are starting to look pretty good to me. I still love my 1150, but there will be a hexhead in the garage someday. I will ride the 1150 as long as I think it is dependable, or needs a new paint job, whichever comes first. But I think I could get used to the 1200 pretty darn quick.

I really like the new R1200RT. It's a departure from the last model but the shock goes away after you first see it. People at my work say it looks like a "Transformer" bike. It works for me.

I have an '04 and I think the 1200s look great. If an 1150 and a twelve set side by side, the 1150 looks a bit dated. Just my opinion for sure.

It's interesting, obviously by reading all the posts, it's a huge matter of personal tastes.

I have a K1200RS prior to my current bike which I think is one of the nicest looking bikes BMW every made. While I love the look of the R1150RT, I think the R1200RT is a much nicer looking bike.

Part of the reason I bought the R1200RT was the looks. After having a K-bike I looked at the newer generation K1200GT, but I think it is one of the ugliest bikes that BMW currently makes. Way too angular for my tastes...

Someone else that posted obviously thinks the K1200GT (current generation) is very attractive. Obviously lots of people who bought them think the same.

All personal opinion.. smile.gif. Luckily you can find a bike that you like in almost any case..

I used to think my R1150RT was better looking than the R1200RT. I didn't care at all for the looks of the R1200RT when it first came out. Now after owning my 07 R1200RT for a month, it definitely has grown on me. In fact, I now prefer the it's looks to that of the R1150RT. It's lines are more modern. I like the sharper more aggessive look. Apparently other people think so too. I have gotten several comments about how great it looks from other motorists and people walking by. I rarely got this when I was on my R1150RT.

Johnv

SAAB93driver

With the exception of the R1200R and maybe the GS, none of the hex head styling appeals to me. They are all very "trendy" looking. Right now they have shock value and look new and different but I don't know if the styling will age well or not.

In the case of the R1200ST I don't feel it is a 1:1 replacement for my RS, too much was sacrificed not only in the styling department but the under seat storage is gone, and fuel capacity is lower. For me it was 2 steps forward and 3 steps back - no thanks.

OTOH my girlfriend likes the R1200RT - without even knowing what it was her unsolicited comment was that the bike flows really well - go figure.

The 1150RT is the pinnacle of motorcycle design and it is the best looking bike that has ever been made. It will remain so until good used hexheads can be bought for $10,000 and there are easy aftermarket plug in doodads to deal with the stupid Canbus and solve the issues with the wacky security system and buggy electronic shocks and I buy one at which point no way I'd be caught dead on an 1150RT and the 1200RT will be the best ever....

You know, until the 1300RT used prices come down some...

Looks weren't high on my priority list but personally, I think the 12RT is much better looking than the 1100 or 1150. I really don't care for the looks of the 1150.

I agree with many of the posts, the 1200RT grows on you. When they first came out, I thought I'd never have one. After seeing my 1150RT parked next to one, the 1150 does look "dated". After riding a 1200 and reading all the posts, there is no doubt the 1200 is significantly better. I'm probably going to get one soon. ( The cruise control was the clincher. ) I wish they still came in Red.

What I can't get over is how much better my 06 1200 RT keeps getting. I'm at 6500 miles and it's like a different bike. Smooth acceleration, intuitive in its cornering and man am I having a blast.

Archived