IGNORED

Duc rider adding a BMW to stable?

NYC_Drifter

NYC_Drifter

Greetings All,

I am strongly considering a R1200RT as an addition to my Monster. I am going on a tour from Jackson, WY to Monterey, CA for the GP in July. My Monster has a range of about 100 or less, is loud and not aero. A great bike, but not a grand tour de force. I think that the R1200RT may be the ticket. Any thoughts and does anyone know if it will undergo a significant revamp for 2008. Thank you all for any feedback.

Welcome, throw us a name so you make us more comfortable. Thats always the million dollar question, whats next. Being june, I bet there will be hints in a few months about any changes to the rt. Be careful, you can use up a life time waiting for the next best thing. Believe me, I know how you feel though.

Pat

You can never keep up with the changes. Ask anyone with an R1100RT or a R1150RT or a R1200RT. All great bikes. Wear it out riding for miles of fun an buy another one and another one. Pull the trigger and get the bike for the trip you want to take. There is always a better bike next year and the year after that and so on and so on. Enjoy your bike now.......

NYC_Drifter

Yes indeed. Bikes, PCs everything changes. I was thinking about toughing it out with the Monster if there was a significant change for next year, but I do need a real tourer, so I need to see what is available in NJ or PA. One dealer I went too had sold the last RT.

btw, the name is John

Hi John

Welcome to the board. There are a bunch of great people here who know a ton about BMW's. I have owned my 05 RT for 18 months and it does everything well IMHO. After riding a K bike for over 10 years I still cannot believe how much I like the boxer engine. It is so easy work on it you can do the maintenance yourself. The monster is a great bike but in terms of touring it does not fill the bill. This is an awesome bike for touring. 400-600 mile days are not a problem at all. I would recommend you rent an RT for a weekend and do an overnighter on it. That will surely tell you all you need to know about the bike. Good luck.

Keithb

I have an m900 and a '98 R1100RT. Any changes to the RT are going to be minimal compared to the difference between your monster and any of the RT models in the last 10 years. The beemer is that much more competent as a tourer. The duc is better in the fun stuff, but the RT really shines when it comes to all-day, long-distance riding.

NYC_Drifter

Well, I guess that I need a new avatar because I just ordered a R1200RT. clap.gif The bike is silver with absolutely everything except the radio prep kit. I thought that I might want that too, but it was not available and the dealer said that there were better aftermarket options. Even has the ASC and tire pressure monitor. thumbsup.gif I won’t have it for 10 days or so because it is at the port. I need to get it and put the 600 miles on with service before my tour in July. Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

As a firm believer in "all motorcycles are diferent so you might as well have a bunch", I think you have made the right decision - something that is completely different from your Monster. I also think you will be shocked at how good an RT is for the use that you will give it on your trip. I attended the BMW Track Day yesterday at Willow Springs and took the RT and Boxer Cup, letting a friend use the BCP most of the time. The RT is really amazing in the combination of comfort and handling. You will shock many sport bike riders. Also interesting - I reset the bike computer while waiting to enter the track on one session - it showed average speed of 81mph and 41.7 miles per gallon! Top speed on front straight indicated 125 with a windshield!

PS - the stock shocks will likely be the first thing you might want to replace.

NYC_Drifter
As a firm believer in "all motorcycles are diferent so you might as well have a bunch", I think you have made the right decision - something that is completely different from your Monster. I also think you will be shocked at how good an RT is for the use that you will give it on your trip. I attended the BMW Track Day yesterday at Willow Springs and took the RT and Boxer Cup, letting a friend use the BCP most of the time. The RT is really amazing in the combination of comfort and handling. You will shock many sport bike riders. Also interesting - I reset the bike computer while waiting to enter the track on one session - it showed average speed of 81mph and 41.7 miles per gallon! Top speed on front straight indicated 125 with a windshield!

PS - the stock shocks will likely be the first thing you might want to replace.

I can't believe your mileage at the track. My Monster gets less than 30 on the highway lmao.gif

NYC_Drifter
Welcome to the world of RT's John. Its a great place.

Enjoy the ride. thumbsup.gif

Ps. Dont forget to take pictures.

Indeed on the pics thumbsup.gif Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
NYC_Drifter

Picked up a Silver R1200RT yesterday with everything except the radio. (Pics to come later, too many smashed bugs on it now.) I put 200 miles on it and find it very competent and easy to ride although a bit heavy on hills and tight spots. The seat and windscreen may be upgraded in the future. The Givi 52 and Autocom will be installed Tuesday when I get the 600 mi service done. In sum, the bike performance wise is of course not my Monster. Comfort and competency, it is not my Monster either grin.gif

Welcome, John:

There are many,many members here who own multiple bikes, including a Ducati (I have a 906 Paso). There is nothing more satisfying than owning a couple of completely different bikes, such as your Monster and an RT.

Enjoy your new RT. BTW, this is a terrific forum; friendly, incredibly knowledgeable, and pleasantly free of 'bashers'.

NYC_Drifter

Yes, if it were to be my only bike, I might choose something else. However, I decided upon the RT because it is arguably the best long distance active touring bike there is. It does have a better than fair amount of generally usability too. I'm doing a 2000+ mile tour this August and my other bike, a Monster, is not at all proficient in that category. I now have 600 miles on my RT since Friday. I will probably get a Sergeant seat and I'm trying to decide upon an aftermarket windscreen. The bike is very competent, pleasant and somewhat fun to ride. I get my adrenaline kicks on my Monster though. I rode it today after being on the RT as stated. Nearly flew off the back of the S4RS (basically a naked 999R) after I grabbed a handful of throttle.

It was interesting to note people’s reactions to the two different bikes. The BMW does not seem to draw attention. I wave to all riders and the Harley riders seem to be surprised that a Beemer rider is waiving. BMW riders must have strong self-esteem because the bike does not yell look at me. Only the knowledgeable observers know that it quietly goes about its business better than anything out there. wink.gif

The Ducati S4RS with open racing pipes makes children clap, women swoon and Harley rides salute. cool.gif

I am fortunate to have both bikes. grin.gif

NYC_Drifter
Welcome, John:

There are many,many members here who own multiple bikes, including a Ducati (I have a 906 Paso). There is nothing more satisfying than owning a couple of completely different bikes, such as your Monster and an RT.

Enjoy your new RT. BTW, this is a terrific forum; friendly, incredibly knowledgeable, and pleasantly free of 'bashers'.

thumbsup.gif

Archived