IGNORED

Motorman's goes to Alaska.

motorman587

motorman587

Greetings, this my second night and still can not get a good nights sleep. I waiting for the sun to raise to go hit the road. I feel like a little kid. First I would like to tell Melanie, thank you for allowing me to take this adventure. I thought that I was going to get sick of it, but it is a drug. I need more of it.

I have gone through the following states. Florida, left there in the dark. Alabama, still was dark there too, as I passed through it. Tennessee, I passed the Jack Daniels distillery (No, Melanie, did not stop wanted too) which was a historic marker. Kentucky, windy and horse county. Missouri, windy too. I was hitting that front that came through. Head winds were so bad, I was riding sideways and three times knock the cruise control off. First time it happened it scared the grap out of me. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, for $93, with free internet, which would not work. Was too tired to get anything done.

Day two started in Missouri, it had rain during the night, bike was a little wet. Touched Iowa and headed across Nebraska. In Nebraska I got off the interstate and cross across. This is where you meet the locals. The on picture was an old John Deer. The guy rode it. One the guys I was talking to yelled to driver, "Is it an A or a B". Have no idea what that meant. From Gand Island to Thedford on Route 2 I must of seen, 20 coal trains. That road follows a railway line or the railway line follows the road. There were this white vans with satellite dish on them,that must been monitoring the movements of this trains, because I must of seen about 20 of these. I got on Highway 83 into South Dakota, this were the land is changing. Wide open space. Saw one turkey and one deer, so far. I stayed in a Motel 8, clean and the internet works.

I spend so far on moneys, $250 the first day and about $180 second. That is food, lodging and gas. I stop every 100 miles, drink water, bathroom, like it or not. Every 200 miles I get gas. I am getting between 43 and 38 mpg, depending on the speed limits.

The is sun is up let me hit the road.

John

I am getting between 43 and 38 mpg, depending on the speed limits.

Speed limits???

smile.gif

Yes, speed is limited by wind resistance and available horsepower. wink.gif

John i work with a Harley rider that just moved down from Alaska.

He said if you get to Anchorage to stop by Alaska Leathers. The owners are nice people and BMW riders.

Stay safe.

Don't forget, at some point a few pix would be nice, if you can swing it.

The imagination is a wonderful thing, but there's nothing like seeing the actual views. grin.gif

motorman587

I got more pictures coming. Internet and me suck. I am in Great Falls MT and heading north tomorrow into Canada. The LT is running great and knocking on wood. Not my head. lmao.gif

Dang, wish I knew you were coming by. Would have rode with you for a couple hundred miles.

Ride safe. Thanks for sharing your trip. thumbsup.gif

KentuckyBlue

Hi John. I just ran across your post and will be following your progress reports. I was wondering how you were doing on your trip. Told my wife about it and she said "Florida was far enough"!! Just as you said, 692 rolled to KY like a dream. Absolutely no problems; she just purred like a kitten. After leaving you, made it to Marietta to spend the night. Route 27 was a dream to ride. I was wiped out. Got a good meal, a good night's sleep and hit the road at 6:00 a.m. Weather was hot but beautiful; no rain. I stopped every 150 miles for water, bathroom, trail mix and gas. I'm too old to press it much more than that. Pulled in my driveway at 1:00 p.m. Thursday. Total trip 697 miles. Linda suggested that a psychiatric evaluation may be a good idea, but I said a glass of iced tea would suffice!! I worked on 692 yesterday and got her shining like a new dollar. A good bath in Lemon Pledge and some leather conditioner on the seat has her looking beautiful. Rode today and got lots of looks as well as compliments. A very special thank you for your time and generous hospitality. Enjoyed having lunch with you and your friends; great group of guys. I wish you a safe and fun filled trip and look forward to reading more about it.

Ray

motorman587

Outstanding, I stop every 100 miles, need it or not. The second one I get fuel. But I have learned, (in a day) that when up north way north get gas, every 100 miles. It is not how far we ride but the trip, I think.

John,

You're missing an unusual heat generated low system here.

Temps up to 100 degrees until Wednesday. (And it ain't no wimpy dry heat tongue.gif).

I'd rather be where you are than doing the yard work at two houses like yesterday. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Keep on trucking old man. wave.gif

motorman587

I used my heated stuff yesterday, I like to be warm. grin.gif More pictures coming, I think. Met up with the other two in Great Falls. Had Mexican, which was in walking distance, and then call it a night. They are still asleep. They've had two long days getting here. Not me.

John,

You're missing an unusual heat generated low system here.

Temps up to 100 degrees until Wednesday. (And it ain't no wimpy dry heat tongue.gif).

I'd rather be where you are than doing the yard work at two houses like yesterday. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Keep on trucking old man. wave.gif

+1 dopeslap.gif

Archived