IGNORED

Natchez Trace Trip

Volfan615

Having only been about a year since I started riding I just completed my first trip. I left last Sunday to ride the Natchez Trace Parkway to Natchez and then back to Nashville on Wednesday. The entire trip was about 980 miles. 200 miles the first day down to Tupelo and then 300 miles on Monday on down to Natchez with a small detour along the way to see the Windsor Ruins. Then 280 on Tuesday back to Tupelo and 200 Wednesday back home to Nashville. I think I could have ridden all the way through on Tuesday but my butt was starting to feel the stock seat. Now I know why the after market seats are so popular.

While the Natchez Trace is not a real technical ride and some sections can be boring, overall it is a great trip especially if you are into history. The road surface is great almost all the way except for some slightly rough sections in MS and they are begging to repave some of those areas. A lot of the time you feel like you have the whole road to your self. I saw a lot of bikes out on the trace most of them being packs of Harleys. I think I only saw 3 other beemers the whole trip. One of those was another R1200RT that was at the same hotel in Natchez but I didn’t notice it until I was headed out on Tuesday morning.

Here are some of the pictures I made during the trip. Hope you enjoy.

Loaded up and ready to go.

leaving.jpg

Nashville Entrance

entrance.jpg

Watervalley Overlook

wv-overlook.jpg

Meriwether Lewis Monument

ml1.jpg

ml2.jpg

ml3.jpg

stream.jpg

Colbert Ferry where the original ferry operated over the Tennessee River.

colbert-ferry.jpg

Bear Creek Mound

bcmounds1.jpg

bcmounds2.jpg

Twenty Mile Bottom

20milebtm1.jpg

20milebtm2.jpg

Old Trace and graves of 13 unknown Confederate Soldiers

oldtrace1.jpg

oldtrace2.jpg

oldtrace3.jpg

oldtrace4.jpg

Tupelo National Battlefield

battl1.jpg

battle2.jpg

battle3.jpg

Baldcypress Swamp

swamp1.jpg

swamp2.jpg

swamp3.jpg

swamp4.jpg

Ross Barnett Reservoir in Ridgeland, MS

reservoir1.jpg

reservoir2.jpg

Sunken Trace

sunken1.jpg

sunken2.jpg

Windsor Ruins

ruins1.jpg

ruins2.jpg

ruins3.jpg

ruins4.jpg

Mount Locust

mlocust1.jpg

mlocust2.jpg

mlocust3.jpg

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

What a great way to break in a new machine! clap.gif Some very nice pictures as well. thumbsup.gif Thanks for sharing. lurker.gif

Matts_12GS

Great stuff, I've wanted to do that ride as well.

Hey Danny, we have any more tropical storms coming this way? wave.gif

thanks for the pics! I grew up between Memphis and New Orleans and made that trek to Natchez as well. Really makes me homesick for the south.

oh yeah: Nice Bike!

thumbsup.gif

Great pics!

I have been thinking of riding the trace south to north, taking a run east across Kentucky then turn back south through Tenn, NC and Ga.

How is the the weather up there in say late September? My thinking is to go before the leaf-turning thing and the accompying tourists.

SAAB93driver

I did that trip in spring of '04, starting from Florida and catching the trace in Natchez and headed north to the end. It was one of our favorite motorcycle trips of all time. Very little traffic, great roads, great scenery. Not technical like you say but that gives you chance to soak in the surroundings.

I'm glad to see the windsor ruins are still standing despite all the storms, one of my favorite pics of all time is with my bike parked in front of those columns.

Archived