IGNORED

Running-In Check: Return to purchase dealership or any dealer?

bmwdude

I am due for my Running-In Check service. The bike has 575 miles on it and I think that I should get it done before going up to Big Bear (perhaps) on Saturday. What do you think?

Am I committed to getting the service done at the dealership where I bought the bike OR can I go to any BMW dealership?

All service work, regardless of the type, can be performed by the dealer of your choice. Or youself, if you're so inclined. Yes, at 575 I would go ahead and get it done.

My dealer wants in the range of 900 miles for the first service on an RT. He didn't explain why, and I didn't ask. He is maybe a month out on appointments. I made my appointment when I had about 500, and I am now about 950, and still have a week to go for the service. He says ride it, but watch the oil level.

Gary

My dealer wants in the range of 900 miles for the first service on an RT. He didn't explain why, and I didn't ask. He is maybe a month out on appointments.">

Well its pretty obvious why he likes 900 miles--he couldn't take you in at 600 so suddenly it's 900 thats the target blush.gif

Typical dealer BS--he didn't want you to take it somewhere else so he changes the BMW Motorrad Official Sevice Interval. What a turkey. smirk.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

575, 600, 1000 no big deal. I'm pretty sure most of mine have been closer to the 1000 mark than the 600. I have picked up just about all my new bikes on a Saturday morning and a weekend's ride on a new bike is not likely to find me within 300 miles of the dealer by evening. I do run a little 150 mile out and back loop, change the oil and then I'm gone. Dealers around here tend not to be open on Monday so it might even be more miles. Since the first oil change is already done and valve lash is not going to change till the cylinder head re-torque is done, no reason why you can't ride further. My wear in procedure is pretty much done by the 300 mile point as well.

Marty Hill

As Ed said...I take mine in from 800 to 1350. I do change the oil at about 3-500 as well. 600 miles is just a number.

I would agree that any mileage less than 1000 would be fine. I think it probable that the 600 mile figure comes from 1000km being equal to about 625 miles for those of us still tied to our bizarre system of measurement.

Archived