IGNORED

Repair of the System Case Latch

moshe_levy

moshe_levy

All-

The latch on the rear side of my GF's system case ('04 R1150R) - that is, the metal latch on the side of the case which faces the bike itself and keeps the case secure against the luggage rack - broke.

Now, it looks as though that latch is made of some sort of cast iron or something. Powdery. Anyway, the dealers wants like $220 (parts only) to replace the whole assembly. If I can get to the innards of that assembly, I can weld the broken piece back on or figure something else out which would do the trick.

But I didn't want to start messing with the case without some idea of how to remove the latch assembly. I see rivets on on the inside of the case but nothing from the outside. Is the idea to pop these rivets, or does the assembly pop out by force, or what? Thanks...

-MKL

Had a similar issue on the RT. Called my local dealer and he helped me locate someone who was parting his wrecked bike. Gave him $45 for his smashed system case, drilled out the rivets on both cases, slipped the locking mechanism out and into my case, riveted it back in and changed the locks around and I was in business. Whole thing took only a few beers and a cold afternoon in the garage to complete. You could not tell the case had ever been worked on.

The rivets have it. Been down that road with an 04 RT and there are a number of folks right here that contacted me with spare parts ... clap.gif

Archived