IGNORED

Missing oil ????

Wyn

I check my oil level this AM. Eeeeek, I'm real low. Sight window shows about a 1/4 inch. Not burning any, none on the floor, bike's on center stand, level floor, been sittin all night. Where'd it go??

Pick up some oil. Put in about 1/2 qt. window is half way up. First stop I check it. Eeeeek, now I have to much in there!! What's the deal?? Now I gotta drain some out.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

ISYHTRAH

lurker.gif

The problem is......you are fighting a battle that your motorcycle will always win.

What you need to do is

1. choose a particular routine for checking your oil

2. try not to deviate from that routine

3. when in doubt, as long as you see oil, ride the bike

For reference here is what I do......

When I get home from a ride

1. park my bike on the side stand so I can get my gear off (allows the oil to drain from the oil cooler)

2. Once my gear is off (usually takes a few minutes), I will pull the bike up on to the center stand

3. I check the oil the next time I go for a ride

Its not that my way is the "correct" way, its just a "consistant" way. Everyone has their own opinion on how to check the oil. Get into a routine of your own, and just be consistant about it. After awhile, you will start getting a feel for how much your oil (if any) your bike is using.

1. park my bike on the side stand so I can get my gear off (allows the oil to drain from the oil cooler)

2. Once my gear is off (usually takes a few minutes), I will pull the bike up on to the center stand

3. I check the oil the next time I go for a ride

+1 thumbsup.gif

Bob, Sorry! Thanks though.

Oop, thanks man. Perhaps July/August for that ride.

Sam, Appreciate it.

So I'm assuming oil, perhaps under pressure doesn't always drain down from the oil cooler?

ISYHTRAH

So I'm assuming oil, perhaps under pressure doesn't always drain down from the oil cooler?
It is thought that the valves close as the oil cools before the cooler drains if the bike is on the centre stand, or perhaps that the oil won't all drain if the bike is on the centre stand (your choice)

Archived