IGNORED

Questions for Sensi- meaning of Life and BMW wisdom.

hopz

Sensi, I have travelled far to reach the top of the mountain. I am but a neophyte and I have questions.

I am looking lustfully at a cute, K1200RS. Is this a good candidate for 2-up touring and will my wife be happy on it? (assuming set up is right)

I keep getting the impression that the RS is a hot rod and boy-racer bike... what am missing?

I can stipulate that these things are great brakes, power, smoothness, power, looks, but these fine attributes mean little to her or to me if she is not comfortable on the bike. Do I have a chance of prying her off the Road Glide?

What is difference between K1200GT and K1200RS?

But a neophyte myself, but I've looked at the RS and GT myself... I thought it was primarily the wind-protection / fairing wings, as well as the seat, screen, and bar position. both great bikes, but local shop said (+/- of course) "get a K/RS, change the bars, and do an aftermarket screen - don't worry about the heated seat or the fairing bits."

Good luck. Great dilemma to have cool.gif.

Sensi, I have travelled far to reach the top of the mountain. I am but a neophyte and I have questions.

I am looking lustfully at a cute, K1200RS. Is this a good candidate for 2-up touring and will my wife be happy on it? (assuming set up is right)

To answer your question... you must ride.

In all seriousness, the only way you'll know if your wife will be happy on one is to find a shop that has one and ride it with her. If she's more into the "cruiser" riding position - then the RS/GT is a stretch. Yes, you can turn a RS into a GT... but the forward lean doesn't easily go away. I find the RS/GT a comfortable ride... i can ride it all day long... but not everyone can.

Go ride my son... go ride

kris

You might get away with it if, we are talking about a new girlfriend that really likes you. Wife, No Way! grin.gif

Pat

Personal .02, I think the KRS would be a poor 2-up over distance. Too aggressive riding position. My SO took one look at it and went "Yuck!

Now the current KGT, I've been going to do a 2-up test ride on it, and she's game...

I do not know how I overlooked the 02-04 GT's I think they are just awesome.

I think I'll go shopping...Not that I don't think my 1100R isn't cool, its just a different tool for a different job. thumbsup.gif

Bob

My friend has a K1200RS. He had a tire go bad on him and asked me to take his wife on the back of my '04 RT for the last 1,000 kms of a trip returning home last weekend. His wife said she preferred riding pillion on his RS - that it was more comfortable for her - than on the back of my RT.

Whoulda thunk it? Counterintuitive? Yes. It just means if at all possible, you and she should try before you buy.

Cheers from Edmonton.

Francois_Dumas

True, we all have different bumms grin.gif

My niece said the bike HURT her no end..... and we only did a 20 mile ride !!! eek.gifeek.gif

Nina hangs on for 1000 miles.....

I myself can't ride a bycicle more than 2 miles before I can't sit anymore......

So there! smirk.gif

I do not know how I overlooked the 02-04 GT's I think they are just awesome.

I think I'll go shopping...Not that I don't think my 1100R isn't cool, its just a different tool for a different job. thumbsup.gif

Bob

Now you are starting to see the li, errr, dark. grin.gif

My wife absolutely loves the GT.

Previous bike was an R1100 RSL in perfect tune/condition.

Her first words after first "test" ride on the GT.

"I didn't know your bike (R1100) vibrated so much." dopeslap.gif

It is a personal thing. Many, many, couples have told me that the pillion is more comfrotable on a 1200 GS compared to the R 1100/1150 RT. So much for wind "protection" theories.

You need to ride the machine. Then you need to go for a ride with your SO. Proof is in the pudding.

I took a friend's wife for a K bike test ride recently.

They had an R 1150 R (touring screen/bags) and moved to a 1200 GS that she finds much nicer.

After riding on the GT, she loved the seat, the heated seat option, the lack of vibration, and was unable to guess within 30-40 mph the speeds we had ridden at. nApparently she hasn't stopped talking about the K bike's smoothness.

Power, acceleration. braking, well, find out for yourself.

tongue.gif

YMMV.

Best wishes. wave.gif

lurker.gif

Husker Red

Do I have a chance of prying her off the Road Glide?

Depending on the seat and backrest you have on the Road Glide I really doubt she will like the kRS as much. Keep the HD "for her" AND get the KGT for you. That's a nice stable of contrasting style motorcycles for different purposes. thumbsup.gif

Hopz

Have you considered getting rid of the wife? lmao.giflmao.gif

It's been my experience having owned four Dressers that once they go big (as in the cushion seat) they never go back. It is all about size in seats. I can't even get my other half to throw her leg over my RT or FXSTC. If it ain't a bagger seat, her butt won't touch it.

Trade wives? Well, after 42 years I don't think so. If you have a "keeper" do it. Besides, if she can put up with me, why consider it?

Archived