IGNORED

How to pack MORE on the RT ????

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Nina and I will be riding to France in July..... NOT on a trailer this time smirk.gif

Trouble is, Nina's pirate's chest (her favorite suitcase) will not fit on the RT.

I was doing fine on my own these past years, and we didn't have problems going to Normandy together, but now we'll be on the road for 4 weeks and I am wondering how I can pack some more on the bike.

We have the two side cases, topcase (standard BMW) and a tankbag.

Any of you added luggage ON TOP of the side cases? If so, how did you secure it?

....... yes, I know to pack lightly.... but I don't yet know how to convince Nina grin.gifgrin.gifdopeslap.gif

The long distance hikers on the AT (about a seven month walk)use the post offices. They have someone send packages ahead care of general delivery to arrive just before they do. Whatever they don't need in the box gets mailed back or further up the line. Of course the pace is slow enough that you don't go from Summer to Winter on the same day like you would crossing a mountain range.

Calvin  (no socks)

No Wal-Marts, no pick-up trucks...How will they survive?

I travel with a backpack... I send items ahead via UPS.. and track them as I go...

Francois_Dumas

They look nice (so does that hotel grin.gifgrin.gif!)! Thanks for the tip, Larry ! thumbsup.gif

Buy two bag liners.

Hand her one, say "This is yours to fill up, that's all you get."

Use the top box for daily stuff: rain gear, gloves, water bottle, maps, etc.

Whenever you arrive at accomodation, just open the system cases, each grab a liner and in ya go.

You soon learn to pack light, and as soon as I arrive somewhere, I wash out my shirt and maybe some other stuff, and change into clean clothes for the rest of the day. Helps to have lots of synthetic clothes. No cotton. Everything is dry in the morning.

Pack light! It's only 4 weeks. smile.gif

"Hand her one, say "This is yours to fill up, that's all you get."

I tried that....she took both of them out of my hands.

We have since learned a great deal about packing. Mrs Whip is the greatest packer in the world now. We have been on the road for more than 4 weeks a couple times and now we don't need the bags strapped to the side cases.

We even have smaller bags now. Plan on doing wash every 3 days and go from there. Stay in hotels with dryers and laundry service close by. Try to wear the same riding suit every day. Leave the lap-top and spare camera behind(only take one lens). One pair of pants for me and a couple tidy whites and I'm good to go. Louise has some new kinda clothes she brings that roles up small and doesn't wrinkle. I usual will buy a sweat-shirt or sweater on the trip if it's cold. I wear my riding boots everywhere I can and saddles the rest of the time.

Good Luck My Friend.

If you need more details send me a PM.

Whip

FlyingFinn
I wear my riding boots everywhere I can and saddles the rest of the time.

That's an interesting idea for a robust on-the-road footwear.

In which foot you wear the riders seat? I assume the "Mrs. seat" goes on the other...

Do you put the saddles on sock-sock-saddle-saddle, or sock-saddle-sock-saddle?

Oh I forgot, here in US people don't wear socks with saddles. Nerver mind the last question. wink.gif

--

Mikko

Francois_Dumas

Must be a 'Texas thing'..... blazing saddles and all that tongue.gif Hey, don't go making fun of my friend ya hear !! eek.gifeek.gif

That's MY job ! lmao.giflmao.gif

Francois,

I'll second the comments that it's what you pack that makes a difference.

Polyester garments, silk/microfleece layers, wool socks, can handles weeks of use with rinse out in the sink/shower.

Convertible pants are small, give you a "dress" pant and shorts (bathing suit). Quick drying, packs small.

An Ex-Officio vented dress shirt with long sleeves (rolls up for short sleeve and buttons there) gives you "evening wear" and if you only wear it after arrival and clean up, it gets very little use or odor blush.gif.

I found that with a silk turtleneck, 2 polyester short sleeve shirts, and an Ex-Officio shirt, 1 pair dark convertible pants, 3 pair wicking underwear, 2 pairs of wool socks, I could travel for months.

I wore riding gear (boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet) and either wore it to the room, or locked it in the empty bags on the bike.

When Beth goes too, basically carry the same kit for both of us.

She adds a little black dress (wrinkle resistant).

We can fit this stuff, tire repair/air compressor, first aid, misc fuses/relays, extra gloves, raingear (to be used off hte bike also) camera, spare glasses, toiletries/meds,

GPS, XM, Autocom, cables, tools, and more, with room left over.

We have added the large touring lids to the stock BMW bags and we have a GIVI 52L topcase.

The touring lids can be added witha quick removal set up so you can switch back to standard, or city lids very quickly.

The H2W bags are excellent. There are many choices out there.

When I add an additional bag on top of the panniers I use paint saving mesh (sold as cabinet liner) under the bag to protect the saddlebag.

I run quick release straps under the seat and then around the add on bag. I also use loops (H2W) around frame/rear luggage rack to provide additional points for securing the bags. I try to keep heavier items in hard cases and low with lighter items packed higher up.

Good luck, experiment. The time together is precious. thumbsup.gif

Best wishes. wave.gif

I wear my riding boots everywhere I can and saddles the rest of the time.

That's an interesting idea for a robust on-the-road footwear.

In which foot you wear the riders seat? I assume the "Mrs. seat" goes on the other...

Do you put the saddles on sock-sock-saddle-saddle, or sock-saddle-sock-saddle?

Oh I forgot, here in US people don't wear socks with saddles. Nerver mind the last question. wink.gif

--

Mikko

I've been tryin to be nice lately......but no matter how much I try to be a fine upstanding gentlemen......"they pull me right back down into to the(you pick the word)"........now my Norwegian friend you have been added to the list....and I have pix.

So no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Just a little hint....what kinda guy would let Tom knock a woman off her bike and then not even go over to help her get up......Mikko would.

Pix later today.

Whip

Francois_Dumas

Many thanks for all the excellent advice !

I'll let you know (of course) how things work out ..... sometime end of August smirk.gifwink.gif

FlyingFinn
......now my Norwegian friend you have been added to the list....and I have pix.

So no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Just a little hint....what kinda guy would let Tom knock a woman off her bike and then not even go over to help her get up......Mikko would.

Pix later today.

Whip

I wasn't supposed to tell this to anyone, but since the gloves are coming off I'm afraid I have to.

What happened was no accident, it was part of a larger scheme. See, it WAS supposed to be followed up by a helping hand and care by The Man himself.

Had I rushed in there, so save the situation, would have ruined it.

I'm disappointed (but not terribly surprised, considering the facts) that I had to spell out something that SO obvious to all the other bystanders.

So post what ever pix you want, you have nothing man, nothing!

thumbsup.gif

--

Mikko

......now my Norwegian friend you have been added to the list....and I have pix.

So no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Pix later today.

Whip

I wasn't supposed to tell this to anyone, but since the gloves are coming off I'm afraid I have to.

What happened was no accident, it was part of a larger scheme. See, it WAS supposed to be followed up by a helping hand and care by The Man himself.

Had I rushed in there, so save the situation, would have ruined it.

I'm disappointed (but not terribly surprised, considering the facts) that I had to spell out something that SO obvious to all the other bystanders.

So post what ever pix you want, you have nothing man, nothing!

thumbsup.gif

--

Mikko

Sounds like one of Richard's excuses, matter of fact he was there...did he tell ya to say that BS.

Sorry Francois....I won't fall for anymore hi-jacks by men of questionable ethics and standards.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

Francois_Dumas

Sorry Francois....I won't fall for anymore hi-jacks by men of questionable ethics and standards.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

No worries, you may hi-jack all you want grin.gif

Steve_Witmer

It's tough to convince my wife that we can go anywhere without bringing attire for every occasion and multiple pairs of shoes.

I found when traveling solo that I can actually pack more on the bike without the topcase, strapping things to the rack. It also theoretically gives you more weight available, since you are shedding the not-insignificant weight of the topcase itself. Of course, the wife likes the backrest on the topcase, even though I've told her she really can't lean on it.

The large GIVI case and its stronger rack would seem to be a partial solution to your problem, but not as cheap as strapping the stuff on.

Francois_Dumas

Bookmarked it too, thanks!

And no, Nina doesn't want to come along without a back'rest' smirk.gif

I love those suggestions that you give her half the storage space. These people have obviously never shared a walk in closet with their wife. Try it and in just a couple of years your side will have a lot of dresses that you can't remember the last time you wore.

Francois_Dumas
grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif I have managed to stay married for more than 30 years now..... (with the SAME woman I should add...). I don't think handing just one RT case will get me another 30, indeed... lmao.gif
And no, Nina doesn't want to come along without a back'rest' smirk.gif

Same problem here. If the backrest/topcase isn't on the bike, the lady is not going anywhere more than 5 miles with me.

Sometimes this is a good thing, but not at the start of a two week trip.

AD

Francois,

I hate to state the obvious, but maybe you should get Nina her own bike. Then she can haul her own gear. I know that I can't travel well without several pairs of shoes myself, but with my own set of luggage, there's plenty of room. As long as we don't have to carry camping gear. smirk.gif

wrestleantares
Francois,

I hate to state the obvious, but maybe you should get Nina her own bike. Then she can haul her own gear. I know that I can't travel well without several pairs of shoes myself, but with my own set of luggage, there's plenty of room. As long as we don't have to carry camping gear. smirk.gif

Sharon, you must be different than my wife. The last time we toured on separate bikes I still only got one bag on MY bike.

Somewhere some time ago, there was a guy that added a rack (I think from a K1100) to the top of the topbox on his R.

Wish I could find it again..... am thinking of doing the same to mine....

Don

AdventurePoser

Francis,

J and I have ridden thousands of miles together. This shouldn't be a problem unless you are camping, then you need to really plan.

The three cases should be fine for your needs, but Nina will probably need to downsize a bit as well.

Pack clothes that have multiple functions. "Technical" wear made from man-made fibers provide insulation, coolness, and ease of laundering.

Forget multiple pairs of shoes. They require too mucn volume. J and I wear "hybrid" footwear when off the bike. We can shop, walk around the city, and do light hiking in the mountains as well. Furthermore, if they get wet, no problem!

Finally, as has been suggested, mail stuff you don't need on the bike to your vacation destination. Just send it back the same way when your trip is over. Two summers ago J and I were finished with the camping portion of our vacation. We located a UPS store in Durango Colorado and shipped home all our camping gear. Boy, did that make traveling two up easier! thumbsup.gif

Questions? Let me know!

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Sorry if this is a too obvious-dumb point, but you do have the extra deep lids on the side cases, don't you? It makes a pretty large difference in how much you can cram in there...

Carrefour works as well. Just use and donate to charity before the first wash, I would never do that myself BUT...

Try to teach the lady how to pack for a hike with a back pack for 4 weeks, or a sailing trip on a smaller boat. It is just a mindset issue and after all we usually use so few pieces of clothing anyway. Unless the apres moto is on the agenda (like apres ski)

I feel for you having to deal with those suitcases as well, but I always ride solo.

good luck

h

Francois_Dumas

Many thanks for all the answers and advice.

We are now in Romania (by car) and I just have this one occasion for internet access.

Yes, we will pack lightly. And yes, Nina usually takes 10x as much clothes as she really wears. She knows, and promised to 'downsize' ... not litterally, that would make her below 5 feet ! grin.gif

Extra deep lids !? I only heard of city lids. Mine are the standard ones.

Anyway, extra investment in the bike is out of the question due to financial tightness currently.

We may send some stuff ahead. We do have our montain shoes and clothes already at our destination (our second home), so that helps a lot !

Still loking in perhaps strapping an extra bag to the side case..... that would solve all remaining problems probably!

But first, we'll have to get safely home again..... a few more days and another 1300 miles to go !!!

My wife and I use Helen2Wheels bags on top of the side cases.. The strap wraps around the 2 wheels bag and secures it (using the grap rail\rack as mounting points).. I've used these on the R1200rt, and my previous R1150RS with good results.. A buddy also used them on his FJR for our recent trip to Alaska with the wives... The bags ride well, and it doesn't take the pillion long to get used to clearing the bags on mount\dismount.

TinMan

Archived