IGNORED

Modular Helmets

fatbob

Riders:

Which modular (flip face) helmet is quietest? It's time for a new one for me, I have used a Nolan N100 for 10 years and I like it a lot, but it is noisy. I always wear earplugs too. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Lower

thumbsup.gif

John Bentall

Shoei Multitech, Schuberth C2, and Nolan N102 are meant to be good for noise.

A huge amount depends on your height, riding position, preferred screen position etc.

You can get the situation that one rider says the Shoei is much noisier than his old Schuberth and another who says EXACTLY the opposite! So be prepared.

Bob, I just picked up a Nolan N-com 102, love it very quiet

smooth air stream and very comfy. Love the ratcheting chin strap and the dark flip up half shield. No more stopping to change shields. clap.gif

ISYHTRAH

LOTS of complex variables in this equation: Noise is a function of the geometry and aerodynamics of speed and crosswinds, the windscreen, helmet, visor, gaps, vents, rider's head shape, helmet fit, position, and the inter-relationship of all. So, a quiet helmet to somebody else in his riding position on his bike is not necessarily a quiet one for you on your bike. To some extent, you have to choose between a quiet helmet and a well-ventilated one, since vents are noise-makers, esp. if in the forehead where they get turbulence off the windscreen.

That said, I've found that using some 1/8" foam weatherstripping from the hardware store is very worthwhile to seal the gaps around the chinpiece hinge, and also to augment the visor seal. At ~$2 for a 20' roll, the price is right.

Air has to accelerate as it rushes around the helmet, and since the widest part is next to the ears where the gaps are, you get extra noise right next to your ears. If the airflow is already very turbulent due to the shear layer between air over the windscreen and the low pressure bubble behind the windscreen, you get lots of extra noise from that.

LOTS of complex variables in this equation: Noise is a function of the geometry and aerodynamics of speed and crosswinds, the windscreen, helmet, visor, gaps, vents, rider's head shape, helmet fit, position, and the inter-relationship of all. So, a quiet helmet to somebody else in his riding position on his bike is not necessarily a quiet one for you on your bike. To some extent, you have to choose between a quiet helmet and a well-ventilated one, since vents are noise-makers, esp. if in the forehead where they get turbulence off the windscreen.

That said, I've found that using some 1/8" foam weatherstripping from the hardware store is very worthwhile to seal the gaps around the chinpiece hinge, and also to augment the visor seal. At ~$2 for a 20' roll, the price is right.

Air has to accelerate as it rushes around the helmet, and since the widest part is next to the ears where the gaps are, you get extra noise right next to your ears. If the airflow is already very turbulent due to the shear layer between air over the windscreen and the low pressure bubble behind the windscreen, you get lots of extra noise from that.

Agreed, getcha some earplugs.

ISYHTRAH

Archived