IGNORED

Power Shield Problems, any ideas ???

JiminPA

Hi all. I just picked up my first BMW yesterday, 2004 R1150RT. I was riding today and put my windshield down and now it won't come back up. Has anyone had a similar experience or know of anything simple I can check without a trip to the dealership. The warranty should be good until september so I don't want to dig too deep looking for the probelm. The closest dealer is a couple of hours away and my schedule is going to make it hard to get in soon. Thanks for any help.

Jim

Rich06FJR1300

check your fuses first...i think its the 3rd fuse in from the left side or 5th one...been awhile since i owned one.

it's fuse #3 (15A) but if it was dead, your RID (rider Information display) would be blank.

The Haynes manual wiring diagram mentions 1 relay for lowering and 1 for raising the windshield but i can't see these relays in the fusebox. anyone knows where they are? frown.gif

It's the relay, BTDT... Unfortunately, they're under the front fairing, so it's a bit of work to get there frown.gif

it's fuse #3 (15A) but if it was dead, your RID (rider Information display) would be blank.

The Haynes manual wiring diagram mentions 1 relay for lowering and 1 for raising the windshield but i can't see these relays in the fusebox. anyone knows where they are? frown.gif

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. I am not sure what I did to fix the problem. I changed the fuse and it still did not work, so I put the original back in. I tried to make sure everything was plugged in completely. The shield still did not work. So I gave up and went for a ride. While riding I tried it again and the shield worked fine. clap.gif I guess riding is the answer. grin.gif

Jim

Similar thing happened to me once, didn't fail completely but the motor was making nasty noises and it sounded like it was about to fail.

I sprayed some! WD40 around the mechanism & it's been fine ever since

Hi don't know how closely the 1150 follows the 1100 design, but I have just yesterday done the whole "strip down and repair" deal on my bike windshield.On the 1100 (you may have to adapt to the 1150) this assumes you have done the basic stuff such as ,check fuses etc.

1)knock off mirrors

2)remove screen by taking out 4No screws

3)remove 12No screws from cockpit area so allowing you to remove cockpit facia (disconnecting switches etc as you go)

4)undo 4 No 10mm bolts holding instrument panel

5)ease panel forward and down

6) you should now be able to see in the front R/H side 2No grey relays these are the windshield motor relays

7) remove both of the relays and scrape (with a knife or screwdriver) the blades untill shiney

8)spray sockets with wD40 or equivalant and refit relays

9)try operation of motor there is a very good chance that it will now work as most problems are caused by poor connections due to corrosion, if not then you will need to get new relays.

hope this helps

ken

It's the relay, BTDT... Unfortunately, they're under the front fairing, so it's a bit of work to get there frown.gif

Yup. Never seen a motor go bad, although I've seen one switch go bad. But 95% of the time it's the relay. No special tools needed. Just a 3mm T-handle and a large phillips, and a lot of patience.

Not to be a bubble burster, by mine had the exact symptoms you descibe, working, not working, working, until finally it was stuck permanently down. I tried riding it over and over again to no avail frown.gif Finally replaced the relay.

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. I am not sure what I did to fix the problem. I changed the fuse and it still did not work, so I put the original back in. I tried to make sure everything was plugged in completely. The shield still did not work. So I gave up and went for a ride. While riding I tried it again and the shield worked fine. clap.gif I guess riding is the answer. grin.gif

Jim

I had the same problem, but in the opposite direction. Intermittently, but with increasing regularity, the windshield would go up but not back down. A local dealer couldn't find the problem, but Paul Mihalka diagnosed it the moment I described it to him: "the down relay" (in my case). That was replaced and no further problems.

Archived