IGNORED

What does this symbol mean : <!>

maxfrankel

maxfrankel

Yesterday, while riding my 06RT, the following symbol appeared on the computer display: <!>

A few miles later, it simply disappeared. The extremely cursory and uninformative BMW Manual provided with my RT fails to list this symbol or define its meaning.

Anyone experienced this or know of the symbol's meaning?

it is basically a check engine or system symbol. its also comes on when you hit your gas reserve. if you gas was getting low the light may come on then off if it recalculates and you havent hit your reserve yet.

maxfrankel

Nope, I am not talking about the yellow light or the flashing gas pump symbol. I am talking about an unlighted symbol that looks exactly like this: <!>

I don't think it has anything to do with fuel level since I had a nearly full tank when it appeared. Check engine symbol? Then why not so indicated in the manual?

maxfrankel

Thanks Roger, u b right! The symbol is not listed in the warning indicator section of the manual but is described in the oil level section. And yes, my oil was close to the bottom of the sight glass.

Max, keep an eye on it. If the oil warning comes on when the oil level is OK (oil showing in the sight glass), you may need to have a new sensor and upgraded software. This was the case on early '06 RT models and should be handled under warranty.

Tom

The symbol will come on before the oil disappears from the sight glass. Mine comes on when I get down close to midway in the glass, and I just add an ounce or 2 of oil to make it go away.

Jay

I used to call those fun lil eratic warnings "Gee. Hope that doesn't stay on!" I've even gotten GelStra's new guardian to "appreciate those little BMW electronic quirks". TADT, don't they? grin.gif

I used to call my oil level warning light a Hill indicator (early 05 RT). It was always coming on. (I live in the hills of Yorkshire, England). It was corrected with a software update at the 6k mile service. I think now the engine has to idle for 30 seconds before the computer is allowed to check the oil level. You may notice that sometimes you get an 'oil tick' symbol when you didn't ask for one? this happens when the computer checks.

Archived