IGNORED

Anyone using Helen Two Wheels bags on their RT??

mos

I am looking to add some more storage with my 28L BMW Top Box. Need some extra room for those two up longer rides. I contacted Helen Two Wheels and she wants me to do away with the top box and use her bags only. Passenger likes the backrest on the top box. Has anyone tried this, no top box, Helens bags only used as passenger backrest?

Mike

Never tried using them as a passenger backrest, but I've used her bags for years and they work great. Strapped to the pillion seat with the sleeping bag in the front of the pile works as a fine rider backrest, can't see why it wouldn't work as a passenger backrest when strapped to the luggage rack. If you only need to add a little extra space for some light things, you could add a luggage rack to the top of the topcase. Do a search, several have done this in different ways. A warning though, the topcase isn't rated for a very heavy load (10kg, ,IIRC, Not that you'd want a lot of weight up high anyway) so be wary of filling it and strapping a heavy load on top of it. Other options would include a U-pac or a larger Givi topcase. Personally, I prefer Helen's bags over a U-pac as my wet tent goes in one bag and my dry sleeping bag goes in a different bag, also don't have to dig through one big bag to get to what you need, but many are happy with the U-pac so YMMV

Helen's stuff is definitely tops, but I can't imagine the uptick to your passenger's comfort by getting rid of the hard case. There are plenty of times that you need to store just a few loose things in the topcase - if you didn't have the hard case back there the lack of density would not provide support while using Helen's bags back there. Consider swapping to a Givi 46L (or more) - or use Helen's smaller compression or roll-top bags to strap to the top of the side cases if you need more storage.

"use Helen's smaller compression or roll-top bags to strap to the top of the side cases if you need more storage."

thumbsup.gif

Whip

Liberty790

I'm working out a system for a long run this summer two up. Just did a shake down weekend with 33 l. topcase and Helen's roll top and close-cord strapped (Helen's straps are great) above the side cases. The rig worked well, with these issues: tough for my s.o. to climb on, side cases unopenable until bags removed, and the bags needed to be strapped loosely in front to allow room for her legs. Still working on that. I may add another close-cord sack to balance load and hold chairs. It was handy to access the top case.

ShovelStrokeEd

H2W makes a bag called, I think, the rack sack. Fastens directly to the top rack on your top case, if you don't have the rack you can get one or adapt the rack that Givi sells. Great spot to store light items with some bulk to them like sweaters for those cool mornings in the mountains, a can of Plexus and a microfiber towel. A couple of rain suits.

To ease the removal replacement of the bags on top of the panniers, you might try cutting the straps and installing Fastec buckles in a handy spot. I have done this with a number of my straps (I hate bungee cords). Makes temporary removal a snap.

Another tip, I'm feeling benevolent today, To handle the excess strap after all is cinched down, go to Radio Shack and get some of their hook and loop cable ties. Loop the extra strap, folding it back and forth on itself a few times and then use the little hook and loop thingy to just fasten it down to the tensioned strap. Much neater than tying a bunch of half hitches in the bitter end.

Check out Jamie Edmond's set-up, with a rack for the H2W bag(s) and a nifty homemade back rest.

In use.

Oh yeah, thumbsup.gif on the H2W bags. Quality stuff. Good tips on packing on her web site too.

We did something similar for a long two-up voyage, strapping a waterproof sea-line bags atop each side case, using a nylon strap D-Ring design like Helens. No Bungie Buddies. You can still reach under with a little effort and open the side cases. It worked great for 2500 mi. Try to keep it low enough that your mirrors still work, and back far enought to leave room for your pillion's legs.

I'm working out a system for a long run this summer two up. Just did a shake down weekend with 33 l. topcase and Helen's roll top and close-cord strapped (Helen's straps are great) above the side cases. The rig worked well, with these issues: tough for my s.o. to climb on, side cases unopenable until bags removed, and the bags needed to be strapped loosely in front to allow room for her legs. Still working on that. I may add another close-cord sack to balance load and hold chairs. It was handy to access the top case.

Archived