IGNORED

RT vs K

LGannon

a K1200GT caught my eye today in the local showroom, any opinions on changing from an RT to a K1200, seat height would suit me a lot better, but no radio!

a K1200GT caught my eye today in the local showroom, any opinions on changing from an RT to a K1200, seat height would suit me a lot better, but no radio!

No cupholders either. grin.gif

I just moved from an 1150RT to a K1200S, and I've noticed several positives. First, the mulitplate wet clutch on the K bike is much more user friendly than the signle plate, dry clutch on the RT. Second, the gear ratios on the K1200 are closer than on the RT. I found that 1st and 6th gears on the RT were too high. This is not an issue with the K tranny. The K-series bike does not feel top heavy like the Rt. Negatives are that wind protection on the K1200GT won't match the RT, and the K1200 is not designed for the do-it-yourselfer. Except for changing the oil, you'll have to treat your bike as you do a modern car - leave servicing to the technician.

peterh

Where does a 2003 model fit in the range? ie is it the latest model? and is it the first year of the latest model, thanks

LG,

The GT was introduced in '03.

US saw '03 & '04 models with, I think, some '05's elsewhere.

The GT2, as it's being called, is the "new" model and is a different bike sharing the GT name. To me, that bike is a KRT. dopeslap.gif

I have an '03 I got in January '05 and have put 54k on it.

I rode boxers from '68 until then.

I would suggest that there is enough difference for you to either love the K, or make you want to go back to the boxer. Only you can decide that.

A search here will probably turn up this topic with all the pros and cons listed.

For music I listen to XM through earbud speakers. Don't feel the need to share my taste, or lack of, with others on the road. dopeslap.gif

I've never regretted moving to the Dark Side. tongue.gif

Dave McReynolds

Where does a 2003 model fit in the range? ie is it the latest model? and is it the first year of the latest model, thanks

I traded in a 2003 K1200GT for a 2007 K1200GT. They are more different than alike. Different engine configuration, different trans, different seating & posture, more electronic goodies. Every single change they made from 2003-2007 I liked, which is why I traded. Others have groused about them. Actually, I like both of them better than I like the RT, just because I like the K engine, with its increased power. That also puts me in the minority, since a lot more people like the R's, which is the more traditional BMW, I suppose. One thing, you're not going to do much of your own work on the new GT; I was discouraged from even adding my own supplemental horn, which is something I've done to all my earlier BMW's, since it might cause some of the electronic sensors to think there's some kind of a problem, causing the bike to go on strike or something. Which is not a big problem for me, since adding a supplemental horn is about as far underneath the tupperware as I desire to venture.

But the comment made above is true; the latest GT seems to be an attempt to blend the best features of the old GT and the RT.

Going to take it for a test ride next weekend, dealer is looking for 4,500 euro on top of my 2002 RT, buy price is 14,500 euro for a 2003 model with 16000 km's, what do you think?

Dave McReynolds

Not knowing the Dublin market, probably can't be of much help. I traded-in my '03 GT for $9,000. They cleaned it up so well I was tempted to buy it back myself, and listed it for sale for $11,000. It was gone the next time I visited the dealership. My dealership doesn't deal all that much. Maybe someone got it for $10,500; maybe someone paid the full asking price. Several years ago when I offered a bike on consignment through the same dealership they held out for the full price. I never got a call until someone came in willing to make a full price offer.

If you do decide to get it, I recommend articles on this forum about the Master Yoda Riding position. Good riding form helps for any bike, but is absolutely necessary if you're going to enjoy any of the K bikes (except for the new K-GT (RT) of course cool.gif)

Archived