IGNORED

Shock removal help!

Rob

Ok, the Hyper Pro shocks came in today. Beautiful workmanship. High quality feel to them.

I need help removing the lower shock bolt on the rear unit. Has anyone removed this bolt? Do I need to use heat? I've been able to get about two complete revolutions but with plenty of resistance.

This is on a '07 RT. Only has about 1,000 miles on it with a Feb. 07 build date.

Thanks in advance.

I used a propane torch directed at the bolt head. I doubt that a hair dryer would do it. I needed multible applications of the heat for about a minute each time to break the bolts loose. (front and back)

Thanks,

What do you use for heat, a torch?
You could use a torch, but they can be hard on paint. A heat gun is best. A hair dryer won't get it hot enough.

Heat the area around the bolt and try not to heat the bolt itself. You're trying to accomplish two things; soften the loctite and get the metal around the bolt to expand away from it.

How about some ole fashioned elbow grease and muscle? I replaced my shocks in January and the bolts were very tight but they all broke free. I had to use an extended length breaker bar which was about a 3' length of pipe I slipped over the racket handle. Once I did that it was a piece of cake. Just make sure the torq socket is fully seated. You don't want to strip it out.

ChrisRappl

+1 on just taking it slow and easy. I recently removed mine and the factory had treated the threads with a blue type of locktite. Once I broke it loose, I just turned it very carefully until it was out. I't had resistance almost all the way, but the threads are perfect. I did not use any heat.

+2 on taking it slow and easy. Phil (1bmwfan) helped me with breaking the bolts loose. He held the socket/racket in place and I "assisted" the breaker bar. I had the same constant resistance Chris talked about in his earlier post. Once it breaks free it is just a matter of turning it out.

Jim VonBaden
How about some ole fashioned elbow grease and muscle? I replaced my shocks in January and the bolts were very tight but they all broke free. I had to use an extended length breaker bar which was about a 3' length of pipe I slipped over the racket handle. Once I did that it was a piece of cake. Just make sure the torq socket is fully seated. You don't want to strip it out.

That may or may not work.

IF you force it and the locktite doesn't give, you WILL destroy the threads, and make your shock uninstallable until you have it repaired.

Jim cool.gif

Jim

You are right to be careful. We actually messed up one torqx socket not the bolt. Once we got a new socket Phil made sure to fully seat it into the bolt as I manipulated the breaker bar. I guess we were lucky because it did break free. After that it was a piece of cake.

Archived