IGNORED

should I wait

majordad

I am currently having my bike serviced because of the mishap I created changing the rear tire. I have having the 24k mile service done at the dealer minus the rear diff and trans fluid replacement, spark plug replacement and air filter replacement. I told the service manager not to do the valve clearance check and will defer this to the 36k mile service interval when I have the alternator belt changed. Any realistic harm in delaying this given the fact the valve clearance was fine at 14k miles (when 12k service interval performed)? the bike currently has 24xxx miles on it now.

The check only takes a few minutes so any savings will be minimal - why bother not doing it?

Andy

it's what I can afford and this dealership told me they charge by the hour and not a flat fee for interval service. I would be the one told it took 2 hours to check the valves, 2 hours to change the fuel filter, and 2 more hours to replace the brake and clutch fluids. At $70 an hour, the cost mount up.

Two hours to check the valves? That is BS, you only need to remove the rocker covers (4 bolts) turn the engine to TDC, measure the gap, turn to the other TDC measure the gaps, refit the covers. 15 minutes max. Do not forget, they have the tupperware off to do the fuel filter already...

I would contest their labour times.

Andy

Two hours to check the valves? That is BS, you only need to remove the rocker covers (4 bolts) turn the engine to TDC, measure the gap, turn to the other TDC measure the gaps, refit the covers. 15 minutes max. Do not forget, they have the tupperware off to do the fuel filter already...

I would contest their labour times.

Andy

I should have been more clearer. I meant I would be the one told that.....sort of like "things like that happening to only me". I generally try to acquire the total price of maintenance costs prior to committing to them.

ncsonderman

Are you having your bike serviced at Hammersley? I've only heard good things about their service and can personally attest to their ability to get the parts that I need in a quick and inexpensive (less expensive lmao.gif) manner.

Hope all turns out well.

+1 on checking your own valves!

So with all the tasks you listed deleated from the service, what's left for the stealer to do? Why not just do it yourself? What was the mishap with the wheel? By the way bikes don't have "diffs", must have two driven wheels to need a "diff", (like a car).

Cheers clap.gif

Steve

So with all the tasks you listed deleated from the service, what's left for the stealer to do? Why not just do it yourself? What was the mishap with the wheel? By the way bikes don't have "diffs", must have two driven wheels to need a "diff", (like a car).

Cheers clap.gif

Steve

Steve, he left the rear brake caliper off & managed to pop a caliper piston out.. Couldn’t get the rear brake re-bled himself so is having dealer bleed brakes.. As long as tank is removed for brake bleed might as well have filter replaced..

Twisty

Steve, he left the rear brake caliper off & managed to pop a caliper piston out.. Couldn’t get the rear brake re-bled himself so is having dealer bleed brakes.. As long as tank is removed for brake bleed might as well have filter replaced..

Twisty

That sounds like a smart deal. The stealer can only charge for R&R tank once. May want to consider the remote filter option. Of course a dealer would poo poo that procedure. lmao.gif

Cheers

Steve

Archived