IGNORED

Who makes a headlight cover for the R12RT? Any pics?

lthj75

How do they look on the R12RT? I like the look of the headlight assembly, but I also know its costly. I am debating putting on a headlight cover.....I'm open to suggestions/feedback.

CeeBaileysafter.jpg

Here's mine...A Cee Bailey's....I got it about a year ago and sent it back for recutting on the sides as it originally had to slip under the mirror fairings which I didn't like...They cut it perfectly, fits well, and from the picture on their website they have changed to this design....

WHOA!!! Just re-checked the pic on their site and it's the pic I sent them of my bike after getting the re-cut one back!!!...I can see part of my car in the reflection........That's funny...... lmao.giflmao.gifthumbsup.gif

Phil........Redbrick

Rocket_Cowboy

I use the Aeroflow cover myself.

DSC02673.jpg

I got hooked on the Aeroflow products when I was riding an ST1300. The CeeBailey products just didn't work as good on that bike. With the RT, the CB headlight cover looks better, but I stuck with what I know.

www.xpel.com

I've used their near-invisible, tough protective layer for years. Works good, looks good!

Interesting. Is this like a clearbra deal? How does it stick on.....does it yellow?

+1 for the cee baileys. easy to install and take off as needed.

Dave........I'm curious......Does your cover fit like the one in the Cee Bailey's pictures or does it go under the mirror fairings?... : lurker.gif

Thanks......

Phil...........Redbrick

Phil,

for the most part it fits just like the pic there is a spot on each side that it goes under just a tad so you have to kind of wiggle it in there but its not really bad. rest of the cover fits right over the lens.

Thanks Dave....As I stated in my post with a picture of my bike, the Cee Bailey's web ad pictures are of my bike.... ....I sent them a thank you with those pictures attached.....

I put masking tape on both side edges and marked with a pencil how much I wanted cut off and they did a really great job...So, I was curious if they changed their mold to reflect my changes...I'm not sure....Mine doesn't touch any part of the mirror fairings...

Thanks thumbsup.gif......

Phil........Redbrick

www.xpel.com

I've used their near-invisible, tough protective layer for years. Works good, looks good!

Interesting. Is this like a clearbra deal? How does it stick on.....does it yellow?

Well sort of, it's much thicker, much tougher material than the typical clear bra stuff that goes on painted surfaces.

It has adhesive on one surface and you use a water and alcohol mixture to position it. And a hair dryer. Initially they look a bit blotchy and opaque, but after a couple of weeks it dry crystal clear.

I've had one on my 12GS since '05, and before that three years on a R1150RT. Not the slightest yellowing cracking, or anything.

I think it looks much better than the type that stand off the lens with adhesive tabs or whatever.

Well sort of, it's much thicker, much tougher material than the typical clear bra stuff that goes on painted surfaces.

It has adhesive on one surface and you use a water and alcohol mixture to position it. And a hair dryer. Initially they look a bit blotchy and opaque, but after a couple of weeks it dry crystal clear.

I've had one on my 12GS since '05, and before that three years on a R1150RT. Not the slightest yellowing cracking, or anything.

I think it looks much better than the type that stand off the lens with adhesive tabs or whatever.

You sold me on it.....I would rather this over the bulkier and adhesive tab look! Thanks!

Okay, I am a bit new here as I just picked up my RT two weeks ago...so here goes: Is a headlight cover really necessary? What is going to happen? It sounds like the suggestion is to put a cover over the already existing headlight cover/casing. Enlighten me. Am I going to put another 20K in extras on this bike before I finish reading stuff from this forum? crazy.gif

Okay, I am a bit new here as I just picked up my RT two weeks ago...so here goes: Is a headlight cover really necessary? What is going to happen? It sounds like the suggestion is to put a cover over the already existing headlight cover/casing. Enlighten me. Am I going to put another 20K in extras on this bike before I finish reading stuff from this forum? crazy.gif

All it takes is one rock to be kicked up to crack the headlight cover - its a solid piece assembly - price = approx $500 list if I'm not mistaken. I'll gladly spend the $30.....

How do they look on the R12RT? I like the look of the headlight assembly, but I also know its costly. I am debating putting on a headlight cover.....I'm open to suggestions/feedback.

Why not do the whole bike, footplates, panniers etc with a complete kit, including headlight from www.thetankslapper.biz about $40

Why not do the whole bike, footplates, panniers etc with a complete kit, including headlight from www.thetankslapper.biz about $40

+1

The tankslapper.biz stuff is very nice. I was able to install the plastic myself in a couple of hours. The price was more like $48 when I got the kit a couple of weeks ago and I'm one zip code away.

I would show pictures, but all you see is the bike. thumbsup.gif

JohnBeaven

All it takes is one rock to be kicked up to crack the headlight cover - its a solid piece assembly - price = approx $500 list if I'm not mistaken. I'll gladly spend the $30.....

I believe that gravel rash will also be a problem over time.

Dave........I'm curious......Does your cover fit like the one in the Cee Bailey's pictures or does it go under the mirror fairings?

To get a good install, you need to take off the mirror fairings and the cover fits just under them. It's pretty clean when it's all said and done. My only complaint, and it's a tiny one, is that when it rains you will have drops of water between your cover and headlight - only time and heat will make them go away. Great product overall thumbsup.gif.

The R1200-RT lense is plastic, not glass. It can withstand a big hit.

Mine took a edge on hit from a crushed soda can that an 18 wheeler kicked up as I was passing. Truck was doing 80+. I was going slightly faster. It came in like a missile! The only lense damage was a minor scratch at point of impact.

Dave........I'm curious......Does your cover fit like the one in the Cee Bailey's pictures or does it go under the mirror fairings?

To get a good install, you need to take off the mirror fairings and the cover fits just under them. It's pretty clean when it's all said and done. My only complaint, and it's a tiny one, is that when it rains you will have drops of water between your cover and headlight - only time and heat will make them go away. Great product overall thumbsup.gif.

That's why I sent mine back to have Cee Bailey's cut it down...I didn't want it under the fairings...To clean the headlight glass and the inside of the Cee Bailey's you must have to take off your mirror fairings? tongue.gif....Point is that they are using my cut down cover on my bike (pictures I sent them) for their ad and I wonder if they really did change their mold to my size or are they still selling the original, wider style that go under the fairings like yours.......A friend wants a cover and that's primarily why I would like to know...He doesn't want one that goes under the fairings either....

Phil.........Redbrick

The R1200-RT lense is plastic, not glass. It can withstand a big hit.

Mine took a edge on hit from a crushed soda can that an 18 wheeler kicked up as I was passing. Truck was doing 80+. I was going slightly faster. It came in like a missile! The only lense damage was a minor scratch at point of impact.

I hear ya.....but for $30, its worth the extra insurance for me...

Archived