IGNORED

Touratech Locking Zumo Mount - New GXM30 Location

Volfan615

I initially purchased a mount from forum member Jakfrost to use in mounting the Zumo to my R1200RT. I have been very happy with it although there were still a couple of issues I wanted to resolve.

One was the tiny security screw that comes with the Zumo that is used to keep the mount clamped down and offer some form of security. The problem is the screw is so small you can hardly see it and it’s just a matter of time till I loose the tool they give you to screw it down.

The other issue is that I wanted more security than a RAM mount could offer. I just didn’t feel comfortable leaving the Zumo on the bike even for a short period of time. I know that you can get a locking knob that takes the place of the thumb screw but then I would still be left to deal with the security screw.

I ended up ordering the new Touratech locking mount for the Zumo (part number: 065-0141) and the Touratech GPS Mount adapter (part number: 040-0670). The Zumo is much more secure now and everything is bolted down well to the bike. I suppose someone that wanted to could still make off with it as long as they have some tools with them.

Now I was left looking for a new place to mount the GXM30. Previously I was using the plate from Cyclegadgets that mounts to the back of the Zumo mount but I felt it wasn’t going to work right with this mount. I was looking all over the bike for a place that I could make use of the metal plate that comes with the GXM30. What I discovered is that it fit perfectly between the two lower bolts of the Touratech mount adapter. The only question was what kind of reception I would get with it partially hidden behind the Zumo. So I bolted it all down and went for a test ride that would take me through all compass coordinates to fully test it. It worked great and I didn’t loose signal even once.

So I believe that I now have a nice looking solution that works well and offers the security I was looking for. Here are some pictures with everything installed.

Previous mount

zumo2.jpg

Touratech view from front

tt1.jpg

View of lock

tt2.jpg

From behind

tt4.jpg

New GXM-30 Location

tt3.jpg

Well, your profile is a little "sparse" so I don't know your name but that is a very neat installation. Probably the best I've seen. Can the BMW R12RT tank bag be used with this installation or does it obscure the GPS?

john

Nice setup. I have to say, I can't imagine mounting my GXM30 anywhere but on the handlebar. The reception is very disappointing. How's yours?

Can the BMW R12RT tank bag be used with this installation or does it obscure the GPS?

I have a BMW tank bag that should be delivered tomorrow. It looks like it will still be ok. I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow evening.

Nice setup. I have to say, I can't imagine mounting my GXM30 anywhere but on the handlebar. The reception is very disappointing. How's yours?

Like I said the reception is very good. After a long test ride in various directions I didn't loose signal once.

The mount looks nice although I didn't like that location for my Zumo. I originally bought a mount for that location but couldn't get the view correct with the tank bag. It was either too low and obstructed by the bag or too high and obstructing the instruments. Another problem was I had no place to put the antenna. You seemed to have figured out a clean location for the antenna.

Archived