IGNORED

Aftermarket exhaust

waylap

Ok, I need a little feedback from my friends before I possibly to a bad thing here. I love my RT don't get me wrong but I've always wished the exhaust didn't sound so scootery (is that a word?). I'm not looking for nor do I want anything loud mind you, just a little more beefy? Am I off base here? Is this possible on the RT without ruining a good thing? I can certainly live without it, but wanted to run it up the flag pole so to speak.

I bought my bike with a ZTechnik exhaust already on it. I don’t know if there is much of a performance difference but it sounds pretty good to me. Not too loud but at least you can hear what the revs are doing and you know you are riding a motorcycle and not a la-z-boy.

i bought a used 04 rt that had a ZTechnics 4000 on it. i sold it and put the stock back on. sounded like a briggs and stratton lawn mower to me.

That's the kind of feedback I need. I don't like loud pipes, but was just wondering what exactly it would sound like with a little more sound. If it's going to sound funny or annoying I sure won't do it. I've never heard one before with a non-stock exhaust. Don't want to sound like I'm riding a lawn mower.

texasaggie97

I do not have an aftermarket exhaust but I have heard a 1150 GS with a Remus and is sounded nice. I would like to do the same when I have the time and the money. It is not like a chopper setting off car alarms but it sounding like a bike with some balls. You are going to have to go to BMW shop and ask the shop guy if they have any bikes you could listen to and make the decision for yourself. Different pipe do have some diffrent sounds. I so agree with you and I am looking to make a change in the future.

Have a great day and safe riding.

thumbsup.gif

Enjoy the stealthiness of the RT as it is would be my suggestion. Motorcycling doesn't have to be defined by the noise we make, rather, by the ride we ride. Rise above it all and break away from the loud-crowd! You'll feel liberated!

I'm no fan of loud pipes but also didn't like my RT sounding like a sewing machine. I installed a Remus and am happy with it. At that time, they offered two choices in rear mufflers, street and sport baffle, with either a straight front pipe or pre-muffler and I believe these are still available (two piece system from the headpipe connection). The street baffle is street legal in Europe. In addition, they now sell a rear muffler model with a removable baffle so you can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. I have the pre-muffler with the sport baffle rear muffler. I suggest you hang out at some BMW rallies where you will see, hear and talk to the owners of various systems. West Bend?

I had the opportunity to drive next to a R1200C today with pipes I could hear. Briggs & Stratton is actually a very good comparison <no joke>. I think I'll leave my exhaust just the way it is. My thoughts are that the boxer motor is just not supposed to be heard to be enjoyed. I had a crazy idea it would sound like a Messerschmitt.

Alien_Hitchhiker

I had the good fortune to spend last week bumming around on my bike. Eight states - over 2,000 miles of back roads. More than once I caught myself thinking I love this bike - even the way it sounds.

Quiet grows on you. Especially toward the end of a long day. And especially every time you whip around a loud ass bad boy bike.

Quiet grows on you. Especially toward the end of a long day. And especially every time you whip around a loud ass bad boy bike.

Couldn't agree more!

Well, I certainly agree that the usual cruiser "straight" pipes sound is obnoxious at minimum.

However, I prefer and like the sound of most performance engines in moderation.

I have the Stayintune unit on my RSL and run it without the baffel. It produces a very nice performance sound that is not obnoxious in any way but clearly performance related.

The boxers do have some periods of "odd" sound depending on load/RPM but no way does my bike ever sound like my lawnmower.

Actually, it's much closer to RC51/Duc/Mille/TLR with Yoshimura pipes and that is "music" to my ears.

There is nowever NOTHING to compare IMO to my ex VFR with a baffelectomy ripping along HWY 19 on the way to Deals Gap.

tbtapper

1100RSL

Funny...

I have been thinking about this for a little bit of time too -- the other day, an RT passed by, engine-braking and decelerating as I was walking... and it had a throatier sound, no doubt due to the aftermarket pipes.

The same day, as I was stopped at a rest area, I encountered a guy who mentioned to me that a stock Honda VFR exhaust could be very easily obtained (since most seem to pull that stocker off right away) and easily adapted to fit the 1100RT...

sonofdennis

I have a 1150 RT and would like to do something like putting a stock Honda VFR muffler on it. I had a VFR and loved the sound. Who if any makes an adapter that will replace my CAT converter so I can put a VFR muffler on? I don't want to hack up the RT stock exhaust in case I decide to go back to it.

Alan

TwoBrothers and Remus both have systems with a cat eliminator. I don't think TwoBros sells theirs separately but Remus might. With the cat eliminator pipe, any slipon is an easy mod.

I have a Remus w/o a cat or pre-muffler on my '04. It sounds nice, but is quiet at cruise. Not very loud at all.

My buddy has a Remus w/ pre-muffler (and no cat obviously) on his '02, and frankly it sounds just like mine.

He must have a less restrictive can, but given the sound I question the point of the pre-muffler. I got off an 1100GS with stock exhaust on to the 1150RT w/ the Remus and don't find it obnoxious at all. The weight savings allows me to carry those extra cases of beer without worry.

Bill, maybe go to a BMW rally or club ride. You most certianly will find someone with modified exhaust. I'd like mine to sound a little different too but will not buy until I hear it for myself. It's something that is just too subjective to go by what others think.

Liberty790
my favorite quote on the subject, "a quiet machine is a testament to complete engineering".

RPG

I totally agree with the complete engineering idea. My 02 1150rt came with a Stayintune with the baffle in and it sounds great. Just enough round note to give an idea of what's available. On the other hand I have a fair amount of surging. I am wondering if it is increased by this more open muffler.

SAAB93driver

I had a Remus for a while on my R1100RS, it was the quiet version and had the pre muffler.

It wasn't loud but I didn't like the low frequency sound around town, it resonated in my helmet, it was kind of like being next to a car with a powerful sub woofer. Anyway, I sold it for close to what I paid for it a few months later and put the stock one back on.

I had a Remus for a while on my R1100RS, it was the quiet version and had the pre muffler.

It wasn't loud but I didn't like the low frequency sound around town, it resonated in my helmet, it was kind of like being next to a car with a powerful sub woofer. Anyway, I sold it for close to what I paid for it a few months later and put the stock one back on.

This sounds familiar...sort of. Yesterday I removed a Remus exhaust from my RS and put the stock system back on. This Remus system has the straight pipe rather than the premuffler.

I love the sound of the premuffler unit with a street version muffler. My RT has this setup and it sounds so nice.

Without the premuffler, it's just too loud and too annoying to put up with. I'll sell the straight pipe if someone's interested. As soon as I find a Remus connector pipe with the premuffler, I'll put the Remus back on. Until then the RS will just have to sound like a golf cart. At least I'll hear nothing but the wind when I'm riding.

Archived