IGNORED

2005 R12RT Warranty Question

Harvey_Harrison

Harvey_Harrison

I ride my bike to work every day, where it sits outside all day. The front seat cover is perfect, but the rear is looking pretty bad. I haven't asked the dealer, who does all the service on the bike, but I was wondering if the seat cover was covered under the warranty. Has anyone had a similar experience, and what was the outcome?

maxfrankel

Seats, front or rear, absent abuse should not wear out in three years. Seats are not a "maintenance" item. Unless BMW can show abuse, I would think it is covered under the warranty.

Fit and Finish (aka your seat cover condition) is only covered by BMW for the first year of the motorcycles life. After 12mos of ownership, these sort of situations are no longer covered under the warranty.

Now, maybe there's a loophole you can take advantage of. Do you have heated seats? Lets say the heated aspect of the seat quit working...well then you have cause for warranty coverage. But you didn't hear that from me wink.gif

charlescrow

Hope that I am not stearing you wrong. I use Meguiars Gold Class Leather Conditioner on front and rear seats of my 06 R1200RT. I use it on my 00 Harley Road King, also. I have a pair of 20 year old leathers,that were stiff and gray--made them soft and look like new. Chas

Harvey,

Thre have been some isolated models that had some problems with their saddle. These were in the GS line.

Haven't heard of others.

Best bet is to go to your dealer, ask them to look at it.

If the front is fine and the rear has a problem, there may be a defect that they can get covered by good will.

If the two parts have been exposed to the same environment they should be the same.

If anything happened to the rear portion, or it is a reaction to an aftermarket product, honesty is your best policy.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Harvey_Harrison

Good news, the dealer looked at the seats and agreed that the rear seat would be replaced under warranty. He said that he would call me when it arrives so that I can pop in and get it exchanged.

Archived