IGNORED

02 R1150RT TB cable

K11RS

I'm trying my first TB synch on my '02 R1150RT, and am confused whether the left side throttle cable should be adjusted.

This from the BMW service manual says to adjust the right and left cable:

"Turn the adjusting screws to adjust the play of

the cables for the left and right throttle valves.

Throttle cable free travel:

........ approx. 2 mm (0.0787 in)"

However, this site says not to touch the left side cable:

(http://meineseite.one.at/krug/Ressourcen/bmw_twinmax.htm)

"DO NOT loosen and adjust the LEFT side throttle cable, as this will effect the validity of the TPS setting."

I was initially going by the BMW service manulal and I adjusted the left side cable to try to get ~2mm free play.

However, the cable is not able to adjust enough to get ~2mm free play. ???

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

I'm trying my first TB synch on my '02 R1150RT, and am confused whether the left side throttle cable should be adjusted.

This from the BMW service manual says to adjust the right and left cable:

"Turn the adjusting screws to adjust the play of

the cables for the left and right throttle valves.

Throttle cable free travel:

........ approx. 2 mm (0.0787 in)"

However, this site says not to touch the left side cable:

(http://meineseite.one.at/krug/Ressourcen/bmw_twinmax.htm)

"DO NOT loosen and adjust the LEFT side throttle cable, as this will effect the validity of the TPS setting."

I was initially going by the BMW service manulal and I adjusted the left side cable to try to get ~2mm free play.

However, the cable is not able to adjust enough to get ~2mm free play. ???

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, you need SOME play in both the L & R throttle cables during the setting procedure so if you DO NOT have any play you need to adjust that or you chance a tight cable holding the throttle plate slightly open while making idle RPM & idle balance settings.. (basically they want you to have enough cable play to MAKE SURE a tight cable isn’t interfering with your base idle RPM or base brass screw settings)..

Personally, as long as I verify that BOTH throttle plates are fully closing against the stops I don’t back them off.. The 2mm setting is just to make sure it always has a little play for the base idle speed & base balance..

As long as the L/H cable always has a little play from very hot to very cold it can’t effect the TPS by holding the throttle plate open slightly.. The TBI throttle plate must fully closed against it’s stop screw at both hot & cold idle..

Part of the final setting procedure has you re-setting the cables tight again so there is just the slightest slack from holding the throttle plate open..

Twisty

TPSsetting.jpg

TBIsetpg2.jpg

Twisty - Thanks for the help.

It makes sense that the only requirement is that the cable has enough slack so the TB is guaranteed hitting the stop.

Is it odd that I would have to adjust the L/H cable adjuster all the way in (CW) to get enough slack so it rests on the stop? It seems that the adjuster should be a more nominal, say mid way position -- similar to the R/H cable adjuster.

Thanks for the help

Jeff

Twisty - Thanks for the help.

It makes sense that the only requirement is that the cable has enough slack so the TB is guaranteed hitting the stop.

Is it odd that I would have to adjust the L/H cable adjuster all the way in (CW) to get enough slack so it rests on the stop? It seems that the adjuster should be a more nominal, say mid way position -- similar to the R/H cable adjuster.

Thanks for the help

Jeff

The problem with having the left side too loose is that then when the right side is synced too it at above idle, they both end up pretty loose at idle and the fast idle cable (the "choke" lever) won't work. It only has a very limited travel and if it's trying to pull open two too loose cables in the Bowden box it can't do so.

So start out with the left side only loose enough so it just doesn't interfere with the left side TB being on it's idle stop, the once the right side is set to match up TB sync all will be well.

Archived