IGNORED

Beemer travel concerns

gasser

I bought my RT last year after a trip to Sturgis and a mechanical problem with my HD. I had always heard about the reliablity of BMW and since I like to take several trips a year, I wanted something reliable. I guess I have fallen victim to my paranoia about traveling long distances without dealer support. Wtih HD or Honda, you can generally find someone to work on an engine even in Timbuktu. With BMW, the spread between dealers concerns me. Maybe I have read too many posts about mechanical issues but I'm a little gun shy. My RT seems to be a great bike and I like it more every day (especially 50+ mpg) but I am squimish about taking a trip on it. Again, maybe too much time reading too many posts.

Anyone else out there share my travel concerns?

lurker.gif

Join the BMW MOA, then keep the Anonymous book with your bike. Worst case -- you have to rent a U-Haul truck to bring your bike to the nearest dealer or home. The good news is that it doesn't happen very often, and BMW dealers, though widely spaced, are generally damned good at what they do!

I feel your pain man. Your bike is a piece... very unreliable. A rolling danger zone. For your own safety- the only logical thing to do is dispose of it in a responsible manner.

Just PM me your address and I will over right away to relieve you of the danger. thumbsup.gif

Hi Tom,

Remember that this forum is where people come to for answers to problems so you're seeing kind of a skewed representation. I would suggest using what you see here as perhaps a guide to the issues to be particularly aware of when doing your regular inspections, but I wouldn't wouldn't exercise any undue concern over it or let it limit your use of the bike. After all, people without problems don't tend to post in the tech section... wink.gif

I see you have an 05 RT. I doubt you will have any troubles with it....however being mechanical anything can happen. I personally know and 02 RT with 180k on it with a driveline failure @ 130k and the only other repair was a 64$ part that failed. Not a bad record for that many miles. However as you mentioned breaking down in KS might be a problem as was with the driveline failure on this machine. It had to be shipped to Chicago?? I forget. It was a problem though in terms of locating a dealer.

I agree that BMWMOA is the way to go. Do you not have roadside assistance on the machine now??? I would just ride it and get over that gunshy thing!! thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I have had exactly 3 failures that stranded me by the side of the road in the past 15 years of riding. Had a couple more in the other 35 but, they weren't on Beemers and more to the point, were not on "modern" Beemers. My '94 RS had an HES failure at 22000 miles. I didn't know enough about the bike to fix it at the time and I was only 8 miles from home. My '04 GS Adventure actually did it to me twice in the 74K miles I put on it in a little over 2 years. The final drive failed at 51K miles and 13 months, AAA+ RV towed me to a dealer about 70 miles away and they fixed it under warranty even though the warranty was up on both time and mileage. Second failure was the transmission input shaft which took out the clutch and almost everything in the transmission, this at 74K miles and a little over 2 years. AAA+ again, dealer within 100 miles so it was free. BMW installed a new transmission, I had to pay for the clutch and some of the labor. In the interim, I put about 20K miles each on 3 other Beemers, a 2000 RT, a 99 KRS and a 99 LT none of which gave me a moments problem. Most of those miles, on most of those bikes, were 700 to 3500 mile trips of duration from 1 to 5 days. Oh, I forgot my R1100S with 51K miles in 3 years and never a problem.

I'd say go wherever, whenever and for however long you wish. Motorcycles are machines and they do break down now and again. A good towing service, a healthy credit card and a sense of humor takes care of all of that though.

You should only feel gun shy AFTER a machine has left you stranded. Go for it on your trips. I will gladly trade you my '96 RT for yours if it would make you feel safer.

The guys with bike problems on this forum are all trolls and don't really own BMW's anyway. eek.gifgrin.gif

GoGo Gadget

In June I will be riding about 9,000 miles around the country. I have zero concerns about the bike. That is not a trip I would do on a HD. I get paid to ride a HD as part of my job. When it comes to my personal bike and repairs coming out of my pocket, I'll go with BMW.

And herein lies the rub. I've made SIX cross country tours (8k miles each ride) on 2 Honda STs (1100 and 1300)5 tours into Canada (about 5k each ride) and more regional tours then I can remember. Never once did those machines run anything but perfectly.

Couchrocket

My "brand new" 04 RT burned and exhaust valve at 15K miles. Right in the middle of the Siskiou Pass. Not fun or encouraging. But the engine was rebuilt, and 20k trouble free miles later I've gotten over it.

Enjoy the bike. If it breaks, it breaks. And it probably won't. The odds are in your favor by a whole bunch.

And if it does, it is an inconvenience, not a tragedy.

I can say this because it took me a while go get to that point myself. Just do the best maintenance and pre-flight inspection you can -- and go!

Worst case -- you have to rent a U-Haul truck to bring your bike to the nearest dealer or home.
Get the KOA Roadhelp package, unlimited towing to the nearest dealer, at least that takes the financial part of the worry out of it.

+1 for the BMWMOA and also a good roadside assistance plan.

I have had the FMCA RA for the past 6 years which covers cars, bikes, whatever. Fortunately, never had to use it grin.gifgrin.gif

I've ridden all over the country without incident over the past 15 years. As long as you have a cell phone, road side assistance plan and a credit card, all you should suffer is inconvenience. Enjoy the ride! Don't worry, be happy.

2wheelterry

Get a towing plan that takes you to the nearest dealer.

Any town that has a BMW dealer will also have a U-Haul, 1-800-GO-U-HAUL (1-800-468-4285). If not too far away, this can be an option. Sometimes, I carry a pair of ratcheting tie-down straps for the back of the U-Haul. I figure its like rain gear, if I take it I won't need it.

Rocket_Cowboy

I bought my 06 RT in October of last year. I was able to put on roughly 1000 miles before the end of 2006. Since 2007 started, I've had the 6000 mile service done in April, will have the 12K mile service done as soon as I get back home from this trip, another service done towards the end of June (18K), and the 24K service done mid-July.

Marty Hill
And herein lies the rub. I've made SIX cross country tours (8k miles each ride) on 2 Honda STs (1100 and 1300)5 tours into Canada (about 5k each ride) and more regional tours then I can remember. Never once did those machines run anything but perfectly.

I started riding BM's 6 years and 3 months ago. 165k miles during that period. Probably 90% long cross country rides. Burned out 2 light bulbs.

What rub?

I started riding BM's 6 years and 3 months ago. 165k miles during that period. Probably 90% long cross country rides. Burned out 2 light bulbs.

What rub?

How many BMWs?

Marty Hill

Michael,

3 went past 32k/1 went 18k and the rest went less. My point is that most don't have problems, and as you know a few do. The ones I sold have gone many miles further. I know of one that had a problem or two. It is now over 120k I believe. The rest haven't had any.

I haven't given a thought about possible probs on the road and never will. wave.gif

I just got back from a 4500 mile trip to California. On the way out, I had a flat tire in Tulsa. No BMW dealer there, but the Kawasaki dealer had the tire replaced and I was back on the road two hours after I rolled it in.

I've made a number of 2000+ mile trips on '03 RT and the flat tire was the only thing that ever delayed me. Come to think of it, I made a number of cross country trips on my '73 R90/6 and never did I have a problem that put me at the side of the road.

I share your concerns and before a long trip, I usually take it in for the next scheduled service, even if it is a bit early. Ultimately however, if it is going to break, it is going to break. Big deal. Other dealers, towing services, etc. are there to make it better. All it takes is a some money and patience.

This is a risk/reward issue. If you make the trip you risk a possible inconvenient breakdown, but the reward is a great time and memories. Is the reward a fair return for the risk you bear? To me it is; in my experience, the risk is low.

Worst case -- you have to rent a U-Haul truck to bring your bike to the nearest dealer or home.
Get the KOA Roadhelp package, unlimited towing to the nearest dealer, at least that takes the financial part of the worry out of it.

Bob, can you give me a link for KOA? I pull it up but I can't seem to find motorcycle roadside assistance. dopeslap.gif

Thanks,

ISYHTRAH

Tom,

Wouldn't we all like a safety net, but then, what fun could you derive from that. Life is an adventure, go and enjoy it and quit worrying so much. BMW didn't get the reputation for being world travelers from sitting in service bays.

You are correct, ride more, read less. At least put what you read into perspective. For every issue reported, countless more are out just riding the heck out of their bimmers.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash
Here is a link. Although it says RV, that means any kind of recreational vehicle (motorcycles included) and personal autos. Call them to verify this, and sign up. You may never need it, but it's good for peace of mind. They don't say that they'll take you to the nearest dealer. They have it listed as, "Unlimited Towing to the nearest capable service provider." In our cases, it's usually a BMW dealership.

Greg

You are dead-on. Iv'e been traveling on my Harleys for two decades and never gave it a second thought. Only two mechanical problems in 20 years of touring: stator last year at Sturgis in the dealer's lot! The other was a throttle cable in Rapid City which was no big deal.

I guess I have been reading way too much and way in too much to some of these posts. fLike they say in the media: No one reports the tens of thousands of safe landings daily...only the crashes. Thanks guys. clap.gif

My solution is to carry a 3 1/2" barrel .357 revolver. Every day that I ride, while no one else is around, I take out my gun, cock the hammer and hold the muzzle up to the engine and quietly whisper to my bike how much I love it and how disappointed I would be if I ever had to pull the trigger. I have never had any problems with my bike leaving me stranded.

Cheers!

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

"Maybe I have read too many posts about mechanical issues..."

That may be, but remember that they are concentrated in boards like this.

Think of how many BMWs are out there that have no problems and the owners rarely get on the Net.

I know several that had to have their arms twisted just to get an E-mail account!

Ease up on yourself and the bike... go have fun!

Bill_Walker
I just got back from a 4500 mile trip to California. On the way out, I had a flat tire in Tulsa. No BMW dealer there, but the Kawasaki dealer had the tire replaced and I was back on the road two hours after I rolled it in.

Last summer, my buddy got a flat on his FJR as we were going through Kansas City. Guess where he was able to get it replaced? Yup. The BMW dealer!

We certainly are a bunch of spoiled, conservative old wimps! What ever happened to those fun-loving kids of yesteryear who left home forever with just a peanutbutter sandwich and metal canteen to explore the world on their bicycles? Okay, they turned ten, Summer was over, and their Mom's made them go back to school. But my point is, we used to go on trips all the time with no extensive backup plan. We just hit the highway or trail and told everyone we'd be back in a few days or weeks. And, know something, we were. I always made it back. I might be limping, sunburned, not using the clutch to shift, or whatever; but it always worked out and I made it back with adventures to tell.

Now, I don't leave home without a cellphone, credit card, itenerary, etc. Everything is planned for every contengency. I try to have extra days built in and enough phone numbers to call in an army in case of trouble. Guess getting cautious is just part of getting older. Eventually, if we keep trending this way, we'll get old enough to be afraid to leave the house. Think about it; then go get out of your comfort zone and do something stupid. It will probably work out okay. If not, well then you had an adventure, didn't you?

harleyjohn45
Greg

You are dead-on. Iv'e been traveling on my Harleys for two decades and never gave it a second thought. Only two mechanical problems in 20 years of touring: stator last year at Sturgis in the dealer's lot! The other was a throttle cable in Rapid City which was no big deal.

I guess I have been reading way too much and way in too much to some of these posts. fLike they say in the media: No one reports the tens of thousands of safe landings daily...only the crashes. Thanks guys. clap.gif

you had a stator problem and a throttle cable?? and what was the issue. all mechanical things break ever now and then.

You're right. It was nothing, especially the way and place it happened. Believe it or not, I had developed such a trust with my HD's that traveling long distances was a natural. I have spent too much time obsessing on the tech issues I find on this and other forums. I have determined that the best way to process all of this information is in a proactive way to raise my awareness of potential problems, but to be ready for them and actually head them off in advance--sort of like the cam chain tensioner issue HD has with the TC88. Check it out once in a while and prevent the issues.

You're right. It was nothing, especially the way and place it happened. Believe it or not, I had developed such a trust with my HD's that traveling long distances was a natural. I have spent too much time obsessing on the tech issues I find on this and other forums. I have determined that the best way to process all of this information is in a proactive way to raise my awareness of potential problems, but to be ready for them and actually head them off in advance--sort of like the cam chain tensioner issue HD has with the TC88. Check it out once in a while and prevent the issues.
If you ever get an '07 Harley, be sure and check out the posts regarding the 5th gear clatter/whine - and you'd better bring a sack lunch and a night light 'cuz you're going to be reading for awhile. dopeslap.gif

(For the record, my '07 FTLR sounded like rocks in a can at 5th. My '07 Dyna was as quiet as a church mouse. Go figure)

Archived