IGNORED

Will the a K1200LT make the haul road???

motorman587

wrestleantares

Why wouldn't it?

I'd ride mine anywhere. Now whether you can make it on it and be comfortable is another question.

I understand that rain can turn the road into a challenge for street tread tires. Check out ADVRider.com for more info as they have a section devoted to riding in riding in AK & CA, called Great White North

motorman587

I am going for it. Just I get mixed responses from people. So say no way and others say not a problem. So this is like my own poll and I got two yeses. thumbsup.gif

DavidEBSmith

With the caveat that I've never done that road myself, but I know a lot of people who have:

Yes, if, but.

If the weather's been dry, no problem.

But if it rains, forget it.

So if you have time wait out a storm and let the road dry, no problem.

But even if it's dry, you'll beat up your bike bad. Expect rock chips in the paint, anything that's loose will have fallen off, anything that's weak will have broken, everything will be covered in and filled with corrosive abrasive chloride dust, so your frame will rust away and your wheel bearings will dissolve 6 months after the trip.

Good trip to take with a bike you're not overly fond of. grin.gif

Last year I rode my RT up the haul road, only as far the Artic Circle. My ride was shod with Michelin Pilot Roads. I had dry roads, but heard some horror stories about wet roads.

It's rough on the bike. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again.

All that has been said is VERY true which begs the question do you really want to try to pick your LT up one or more times just because you thought you could do the Haul Road? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif Just my $.02 Ralph

If the weather's been dry, no problem.

But if it rains, forget it.

It always rains in Alaska. I've been gone for awhile, and maybe the climate has changed. But I spent twenty years living there and more working there and rain is very common.

RichEdwards

It's possible. However, I would suggest that you reserve your final decision. Wait until you have traveled on some of the gravel roads and under-construction byways that you will hit on the way there. This will help you determine if you want to do hundreds of miles on lousy (and dangerous) road surface. blush.gif

Archived