IGNORED

K-Band Radar in SF Bay Area

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

Not sure if this should be here(MC Talk), MC Related, or Other Topics, so if the mods move it, I sure won't be upset.

On the way home from Torrey, I rode through the SF Bay area on I-580, I-680, I-880 and CA-17. Starting on I-580 near Livermore, my V-1 started giving me very strong, but short, alerts on K-band, that kept coming back every so often.

"What the heck is that?", I think. I know the CHP uses Ka-band, but I still jumped out of my skin every time the solid K-band "brraaaaaap" came on. Still, I never saw a LEO.

After a while, it finally came to me. Instead of digging up existing pavement to embed magnetic loops, they put up small radar units to capture traffic speeds for reporting services, such as those you hear on the radio or find on websites.

Finally, on I-680, I spotted a unit suspended from an overpass with four antennae, one aimed at each traffic lane.

Now, if I can just find a way to tell my V-1 to ignore them!

I'm not sure what you can do about it but then again I've never found radar detectors to be all that useful on busy urban freeways anyway. Too many false alerts, and radar doesn't even work all that well for the LEOs in that environment due to the traffic density. For that reason lidar is becoming more and more common in dense areas and don't worry... that won't set off your k-band alert... wink.gif

For that reason lidar is becoming more and more common in dense areas and...

Have seen the CHP using LIDAR on 580 - the operator will typically park on the side of the Greenville Rd. on-ramp to eastbound 580, the next ramp after the scale. Due to the necessity of the operator to have to look through the LIDAR unit to tag someone, he's typically sitting on the ramp at around maybe a 60 degree angle to the direction of traffic, so his mug, his vehicle, and what he's doing, is pretty obvious to anyone paying attention to what's up ahead.

Bill_Walker

Later in the same trip, I got a LIDAR hit on 101 near Santa Barbara (Goleta). This is the first time I've gotten a LIDAR alert and been able to find the LEO (a motor, in this case) to go with it. Luckily, we either weren't going fast enough or he was aiming at somebody else.

My other LIDAR alerts appear to have been caused by LED taillights or by a tilt of the road causing the V-1 to look straight into the sun. At least that's my guess.

Livermore is just horrid with radio-frequency leaks, wireless nets and the Lawrence-Livermore National Labs contribute their fair share to the noise you here on the radar detector and AM radio.

Take a look at the roadway. There are magnetic sensors to measure traffic speed and density every quarter mile or so. They are loops place in loops cut into the cement.

ShovelStrokeEd

Well, you could always program the V1 to ignore K band signals. I only know it can be done, not how. This does place you at some small risk in out of the way towns where the locals may still be using the old stuff. Probably could re-program on the fly to enable it again.

Bill_Walker
Well, you could always program the V1 to ignore K band signals. I only know it can be done, not how.

Here's the how.

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

Well, if I lived in the Bay Area I'd sure consider it. But I go enough places where K-band may be used out in the country that I'll leave it on. Besides, it helps me find all the shopping centers!

Bill_Walker
Livermore is just horrid with radio-frequency leaks, wireless nets and the Lawrence-Livermore National Labs contribute their fair share to the noise you here on the radar detector and AM radio.

Take a look at the roadway. There are magnetic sensors to measure traffic speed and density every quarter mile or so. They are loops place in loops cut into the cement.

I hadn't happened upon my "traffic speed sensor" theory at the time, so I wasn't looking at the roadway for loops. At that point, I was blaming it on LLNL and/or the airport.

R4ND0M_AX3
Well, you could always program the V1 to ignore K band signals. I only know it can be done, not how.

Here's the how.

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

Well, if I lived in the Bay Area I'd sure consider it. But I go enough places where K-band may be used out in the country that I'll leave it on. Besides, it helps me find all the shopping centers!

I would turn on the automute then set it to not automute if the signal is above 4 or 6 LEDs.

I would turn on the automute then set it to not automute if the signal is above 4 or 6 LEDs.

Usually the signal in question comes on at greater than 4 leds but lasts 5 seconds or less. So I would suggest doing the aut0mute only. See page 4 of the tech report.

Tom

BeniciaRT_GT

much of the south of SF 280 is this way, as is some of 780.

I don't even bother to turn on my V1 when I'm in the Bay Area. too many alarms, and then you get desensitized to it!

Archived