IGNORED

Zumo 550 XM antenna

hitechcpa

I just received my Zumo 550 in the mail, but am somewhat disappointed to find that the XM will not work without the Garmin GXM30 antenna, a $200 item. It would seem that any antenna would work, but the Garmin connection is a mini USB and the XM antenna is the round variety.

I was wondering, is it possible to splice the mini USB end onto an XM antenna lead? I can get two of the mini USBs from Garmin for about $15 (the GXM30 extension) and I already have an XM antenna. I would love to be able to do an end around on the guys from Garmin. If no one has an answer on this, I just may try it anyway and see what I can do. Thanks fellas.

The GXM30 is really more than an antenna. From what I understand it is actually the radio. The Zumo is just the interface for it.

chrisolson

The Garmin literature is a bit misleading ... the GXM30 is the XM radio with the antenna combined in one unit. The only good thing is you don't have to wire separtely for power and antenna ... just plug into the Zumo.

If you have any doubt that it is also the radio, all you have to do is touch the GXM30 after its been on a few minutes. It's very warm to the touch - definitely not a passive device.

Thanks for all of your posts. I had no idea that the radio was part of the antenna. Makes everything else mute. Therefore, I just purchased the GXM30. I'll get over the cost soon enough.

Archived